Uneven odometer values

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
I'm curious if this has happened to anybody here, or if anybody has any input on the cause.

I have little to no use for the trip function on my odometer. So, giving in to my OCD side, I try to reset my trip meter to "000.0" every time my odometer hits the next thousand miles. Somehow though, by the time this happens, my trip meter can end up as far off from my odometer as around 5 miles. If it's important in this case, it's on an '08 335xi coupe.

I have a theory, but I'd like to see what comes up.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I don't know the answer nor have I ever had this concern presented to me.. But bmw uses various different modules to store redundant information like the ecs module so that if a cluster needs be replaced it can't be manipulated and it pulls the info from the Cas and the dsc module.. It is more than likely just coding discrepancies but maybe something along the lines of wheels slip over the thousand miles and the dsc decides that it wasn't actually miles traveled.. Just a thought

Reactions: Jsherry20

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
I don't know the answer nor have I ever had this concern presented to me.. But bmw uses various different modules to store redundant information like the ecs module so that if a cluster needs be replaced it can't be manipulated and it pulls the info from the Cas and the dsc module.. It is more than likely just coding discrepancies but maybe something along the lines of wheels slip over the thousand miles and the dsc decides that it wasn't actually miles traveled.. Just a thought
That's some good information regardless. Thanks.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think the values are stored in multiple places like you said in the event that one module fails and it needs another module to pull the info from. But the miles discrepancy, that is odd.