Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port + Hybrids

Wavey 335i

Apr 20, 2018
Ride
BMW 335i N54
Hi all,

Just been recommended by my friend to jump onto this forum as it is helpful and full of like minded individuals.

Ok, basically I've just had VTT Stage 2+ turbos installed with inlets outlets and the car is FBO.

I was wondering if anyone can give some advice on my BOV set up, at the moment it is set up to 50/50 and I have been running them on my stockers with and ER extended chargepipe,

I am currently running turbosmart Kompact Dual Port Kit for BMW and wanted to know the best set up for this with the turbos. I have reverted the car back to the stock map as advised by Justin@Twisted, just to bed the turbos and let the car readapt itself as I changed a alot of things together and since I have to take it easy anyway thought why not ha, but I will be getting a custom tune very soon after I sort out a few niggles.

But before I start pushing more power I want to ensure everything is set up properly.

I have asked VTT for advice but they have suggested "an aluminum charge pipe with Race pot BOV, and orange spring. We have both in stock, and can get you set up.

This was almost an autoresponse and doesnt really fill me up with confidence with someone trying to forcefully sell me something I dont need and completely ignoring my request. After I kindly declined, and asked the same thing again its taking 24 hours to respond,

I just want to know how can I use my existing set up to work with the hybrids without causing any damage. This is because of the warning notes that came with the turbos about the BOV set up so i am just being precautious.

I really dont have time to wait around for a response as I use the car daily. And don't want them to have any excuse to turn this around and tell me it is not covered by warranty if shit hits the fan.

Thanks for looking and any advise is appreciated.

W

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I have asked VTT for advice but they have suggested "an aluminum charge pipe with Race pot BOV, and orange spring. We have both in stock, and can get you set up.

This was almost an autoresponse and doesnt really fill me up with confidence with someone trying to forcefully sell me something I dont need and completely ignoring my request.

Hybrid turbos are all very susceptible to compressor surge because of how damn quick they spool up. Because of this a proper BOV setup is far more important for hybrids than a single.

For a vendor to determine if a BOV setup is going to be something they recommend they need to not only buy that BOV setup, but devote significant time to data logging, testing, and tuning of the BOV itself. What are the correct springs, what is the correct adjustment settings, what is the correct line sizing, to vacuum t's have an impact, etc etc. If you estimate the time to be a week, and generously $350/hr for that business to perform that work (which is about right for R&D work), you're looking at about a $12,000 investment to test a very key piece of operating hardware that you are going to have to stand behind legally with your turbo warranty.

Vargas has actually posted pages and pages of his testing on BOV's and the proper setup of a Tial for ensuring no surge happens on hybrids that spool crazy fast.

It's not likely for that organization to have performed this testing on a setup as new as (relatively speaking) this turbosmart dual port setup. So they don't likely have enough data to stand behind to provide you setup suggestions that would be guaranteed to not void their warranty.

If I were you and I didn't want to take the chance of surge ruining my thrust bearings (which is EASILY identifiable in a turbo postmortem after a failure) and getting a denied warranty claim...I would just switch over to what the manufacturer recommends.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@BQTuning ... this reminds me of the chat we were having yesterday about DCI and fuel trim .... in that ... stuff is interconnected!

Filippo

Reactions: BQTuning

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Your current kit should work just fine too. Just make sure its running a matched spring to the psi you plan to run.

I have forge diverter valves and they work very well. You have many options with blow off valves and VTTs suggestion is good too. My only suggestion is buy a known brand and not a cheap eBay model. Last thing you need is blown turbos from bad diverter valves.

https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Rec...urbo_Motor_135_335_Models--product--1032.html

Last edited:

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
Running the same setup as you @Wavey 335i. Just follow turbosmart's instructions on spring compression at idle and you should be good to go. Have mine at 50/50 and love it. Also really like that these are setup to go full recir or BOV. Think it's a great options for anyone and also really good quality.

Wavey 335i

Apr 20, 2018
Ride
BMW 335i N54
Thanks for the responses and advice guys, all very helpful information to take on board. :grin:

I will do what @N54QC has suggested until I get the perfect set up without any surge. Worst case if that doesn't work I'll order the race port BOV.

These are a great peice of kit and a high quality build. I will let you know how I get on.