Trans cooler setup

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Figure I would share my setup. Ran this on my old 800hp awd dsm with great results (except im adding a thermostat), and if it works great for that setup, itll work great for my e90 (as long as I can get this cooler to fit haha). As stated, it should work perfect, but I like data to backup my claims, so ill be installing this setup this weekend and will post back with data.

Trucool cooler ,
160* thermostat
Built my own trans line connecting fittings
8an fittings/braided line

20170417_152616.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think that is what most people do, or just simply loop the line and cap the radiator. Personally, I run the 6MT return pipe and radiator for a cleaner install.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Nice. I've wanted to do this for some time but I don't know how you tap into the existing coolant lines and connect in the new ones. It'd be an expensive mistake if that fluid drained away and you fried your transmission. I'm DCT though so would be a costlier mistake.

N54gasm

Sergeant
Feb 6, 2017
New Freedom
www.spoolnmotorsports.com
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Did you just cap the fittings on the stock trans cooler?

Yes I made caps for the stock coolant lines.

Nice. I've wanted to do this for some time but I don't know how you tap into the existing coolant lines and connect in the new ones. It'd be an expensive mistake if that fluid drained away and you fried your transmission. I'm DCT though so would be a costlier mistake.

This is an air to air setup, no coolant runs through it, unless you mean the stock trans lines, in which I make adapters for.