• HP

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • TQ

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Ok guys,

So, this is been on on going debate between a friend and I. I understand that he's all American muscle but, he is arguing that horsepower numbers is what makes the build. I argued this stating that if he had 750whp but only made 350wtq that it would lose to cars less powerful overall simply because they could get off the line faster and stronger.

I understand that both are equal in their own ways but, this is more of an opinionated post. I want to see what is more important to everyone here? Horsepower or Torque?

Personally in my opinion, I prefer a car that has more torque than horsepower simply because it hits its peak horsepower quicker and stronger. But, the same situation goes that a car with a lot of horsepower could easily come back in a race if the difference is enough over a long enough time.

Let me know what you guys think. So, lets propose a hypothetical situation.. You have a red pill and a blue pill. Red gives you +50 hp, blue +50 torque. Which would you prefer to have more?

Feel free to justify but, please guys no intense disputes. Lets keep it clean.

• Funny
Reactions: Euro venom

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Are we constrained to drag racing or roll racing as well? Torque matters, the area under the curve, etc etc. This all just depends on many factors, particularly which platform etc.

Jsherry20

Sergeant
Dec 21, 2016
More horsepower and less torque seems to work wonders on the Honda platform lol. They can easily achieve 10s for some reason it seems

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
More horsepower and less torque seems to work wonders on the Honda platform lol. They can easily achieve 10s for some reason it seems
Weight. Don't need all that torque if you weigh like 1,500 lbs.

Simple answer: There is no one over the other. Complicated answer: It all depends on the circumstances.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Fvck I'd take 50tq, at 7,000rpm.

Will this thread die already? Or can mods move it to e90post where it belongs?

The point of this post is just to get a general consensus about wether their preference is oriented in one direction or another for their car. It's not to be pointless and have no reason but, more or less to gauge the community feedback to see what the majority rules as preference. At the end of the day.. both describe power but, in different ways. This isn't in the tuning section or even the N54 section..

Regarding posts claiming it should be on one forum or another in itself is pointless considering we are all on these forums for information, opinions, and builds.

Now, let's keep the thread on topic and disregard any conceptions of what belongs where.

Jun 8, 2017
Magnolia Texas
www.magnoliaautomotive.com
Ride
All kinds'a stuff
The problem with this question is that unless you specify where in the engines rpm you get the choice it's impossible to say which one is more advantageous. In a typical piston driven crankshaft internal combustion engine Torque is the twisting force you can actually measure. Horse Power is the measurement of this torque (twisting force) but then cross-referenced to the speed of said twisting power shaft at which the measurement of torque was obtained, this is useful to determine how fast the torque can be applied or how much work you can get done in a specific period of time from said twisting force. The mathematical formula to rate HP is, Torque x RPM / 5252 = HP. Due to the constant of the 5252 divisor in the equation, torque and HP curves always equal out numerically at 5,252 RPM. That's a fact. At any RPM rate below 5252 each ft/lb of torque is less than each one Horse Power, the further down towards zero you measure the torque the less HP each ft/lb generates. (50 lbs/ft x 1000 RPM / 5252 = 9.52 HP. So heck at 1000 RPM I'll take 50 more HP thank you very much as that would also mean 262.6 lb/ft of torque was there to make that 50 HP. But if your up in the high end of a engine (or motor) capable of shaft speeds in excess of 5252 RPM then give me the 50 lbs/ft any day. Because after that mathematical constant divisor each ft/lb of torque equals more than 1 HP. So if you said, "At 7,000 would you want 50 more ft/lbs of torque or 50 more HP?" I would take the 50 ft/lbs. Because at 7,000 RPM crankshaft speed it's 50 lbs/ft x 7,000 / 5252 = 66.6 HP. There as any 50 HP at 7,000 is less than 50 ft/lbs of torque.

But If the engine's power band is properly matched with chassis gearing for optimum acceleration of it's total weight, and keeping in mind that rotating weight is more significant than static weight when accelerating it. As the more often you have to rotate a weight in a measured distance the more important rotating weight becomes, such as flywheel weight vs. tire weight. But back to the race, assuming each chassis has sufficient traction for the applied HP produced at rest, then between two equal chassis's the chassis with the highest horsepower will always be faster, width of power band is only important once gearing cannot be further optimized for the engines actual power band vs. weight accelerated. Weight accelerated is work done, which is rated in time needed to do by Horse Power. Torque is just a measurement of twisting force, not rate of acceleration. But you can't have one without the other and where it is measured in RPM of twisting shaft is just as important as exactly how much twist. Gearing keeps the engine where the most HP is produced or you're slower. If you can't gear it any different design the engine to make power in the band where it will be used to accelerate with what gearing it has.

The two measurements don't compete, one measures capability to do work and the other is it's ability to do how much work over a fixed period of time. James Watt's standard good horse on a treadmill basically.

Understand?

Vernon

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
This question can be open ended, mainly due to the fact of the Torque/HP relationship. Also, making the decision on which one you want would also depend on what you're using the particular car or truck for. The type of engine, the weight of the vehicle. All these things are important to know when it comes to making the car perform.

For instance, if i were building a highway bruiser....HP up top is where im going to want my power. Hill climb i'll take torque in the midrange. Road course, more torque in the midrange unless the track has a long straight or multiple. Then i would need to shift to a balance of torque and hp increases depending on where i think i would need to have them.

Its all a balance. Torque is technically most important as that generally dictates horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
This question can be open ended, mainly due to the fact of the Torque/HP relationship. Also, making the decision on which one you want would also depend on what you're using the particular car or truck for. The type of engine, the weight of the vehicle. All these things are important to know when it comes to making the car perform.

For instance, if i were building a highway bruiser....HP up top is where im going to want my power. Hill climb i'll take torque in the midrange. Road course, more torque in the midrange unless the track has a long straight or multiple. Then i would need to shift to a balance of torque and hp increases depending on where i think i would need to have them.

Its all a balance. Torque is technically most important as that generally dictates horsepower. Horsepower is a function of torque.

Thank you, that's what I was wanting people to distinguish when they are choosing an answer for the question. Most people in the platform do end up racing at events wether track or strip so, there lies the heart of the question while doing so, for optimal times which would you prefer.