To ARP or not to ARP

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Rolled. Cut threads are for peasants
Does your machinist have thread rolling capabilities? I suppose they could always farm that out. I'm not currently in the head stud market, but would definately be curious to hear if anything comes of thisđź‘Ť

Roadkill215

Apr 11, 2023
Pennsylvania
Ride
07 335i
Hoping this clears up the price jump for the 625+

I’m new to this site but I work for carpenter technology, we produce the 625 stock that ends up turning into headstuds and bolts. We technically don’t even know the buyer since it’s not listed until purchasing but it’s easy to make connections of 625 stock to arp 625. We make what’s considered the top 3% of premium alloys in the world. Almost everything we produce is proprietary and we have patents on creating the material. It’s also melted and rolled to order size. Who the buyer(arp) decided to sell it to is up to them but we will only sell it to them, which is why there are limited options when it comes to that specific grade. There is also a reasoning for the price, there is a lot of man power and energy used to make the material, then even more when going through our annealing departments and testing to verify no imperfections. I repair the equipment and our one induction heater to get back up to the rolling temp(most material is around 1800-2000 degrees F) uses more electricity per minute than the entire surrounding county combined. This doesn’t include the furnaces the size of a small house that the billets have to heat soak in for hours to be a consonant temperature through out. Or else I have a very very bad day at work when stuff starts to self destruct.

We are also producing the material in jet engines, rockets, drilling equipment, Tanks, medical components and stuff that’s permanently placed inside of you. you get the point. 625 is not produced in your standard steel mill facility. Hence the large price jump.

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Any new updates on N54 head studs out there? Anything better than the rest? Any options besides buying the "N54" studs from vendors (VAC) at crazy jacked up prices? Just wondering if anyone has been able to track down a stud from another motor that's the right length, and rigth thread pitch(M11x1.5) and (M9x1.25). Paying $40+ per stud is nuts....ARP studs for LS's and most other motors around aroudn $15 each or less. Seems like there's got to be a better option that paying those inlated prices for something as simple as head studs.

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
studsssss.jpg

I have plenty of them on stock. Full M11

PB if interested

Shipped from Europe