DIY Throttle body

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Just bought a new throttle body from FCP Euro. Says on a sticker on the packaging it needs to be programmed to the car. Does that just mean to reset adaptations? I have protool and MHD that can do that.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If I were to guess, I'd say it probably just means the throttle adaptation but I'm not a coding expert.

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
That's what I plan to do then. I couldn't find anything else about it. For fun I called a BMW service department and asked. They told me 800 bucks to program the throttle body. Wouldn't tell me what the programming consists of. Unreal. They charge insane amounts.

Two weeks ago I replaced my condenser and I needed the system recharged. Its a 15 min job. Called them to ask how much.... 600 dollars! Independent charge me 100. Still pricey, but I don't have a vacuum pump to evacuate the system.

Anyway, I'll give the reset a go. Should be good. Thanks. :)

• Wow
Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
That's what I plan to do then. I couldn't find anything else about it. For fun I called a BMW service department and asked. They told me 800 bucks to program the throttle body. Wouldn't tell me what the programming consists of. Unreal. They charge insane amounts.

Two weeks ago I replaced my condenser and I needed the system recharged. Its a 15 min job. Called them to ask how much.... 600 dollars! Independent charge me 100. Still pricey, but I don't have a vacuum pump to evacuate the system.

Anyway, I'll give the reset a go. Should be good. Thanks. :)

In those cases I find a smaller shop. In my location there is one across from my neighborhood that can do AC work. Last time we took the Camry up there to find a leak they didn't even charge to vacuum/fill/add dye. There _are_ some good shops out there!

Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Solved. It's just a TB adaptation reset. I used MHD. Not sure why the manufacturer puts a "this part requires programming" on it. A simple "reset throttle body adaptation" notice would be better. There's actually a way to reset the TB without hooking up anything. Anyway, all good now.

Reactions: NoGuru