Thoughts on Radium OCC

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
I cant seem to find anyone running a radium engineering universal catch can. The flow analysis and filter media look promising but I was wondering if anyone had ever used one.

I was planning on running the dual can setup, one for the "low load" pcv with an inline AN check valve and the other to the "high load" system via AD fittings. Still debating where to route the exit on the high load but I was planning on making a bracket to interface where the PS reservoir is.

The dual catch can, can be seen here: http://www.radiumauto.com/Universal-Dual-Catch-Can-P189.aspx

Basically just wondering how the "mesh" style media performs since flow simulation cannot simulate oil particles separating from air.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There is someone that runs them, a pic is floating around. I ordered a pair, but I think they are just too small (and expensive) so I cancelled my order. Instead, I bought a pair of Mishimoto's and a billet bracket from Fab Factory. And even still, I may end up going with a 3D printed bracket mounted somewhere else. Still trying to figure it all out, and part of that depends on these billet valve covers.

Reactions: FRNTHVY

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
There is someone that runs them, a pic is floating around. I ordered a pair, but I think they are just too small (and expensive) so I cancelled my order. Instead, I bought a pair of Mishimoto's and a billet bracket from Fab Factory. And even still, I may end up going with a 3D printed bracket mounted somewhere else. Still trying to figure it all out, and part of that depends on these billet valve covers.

Yeah they are pretty pricey but the price includes the bracket and both cans so not too bad for $300 plus the fittings. The media looks promising. Hows your outlet look on your cans? Is it completely dry? Are yours routed in series or parallel, ie do you have them separated one for the high load pcv and one for low or one leading into the other?

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
You guys have any pictures of your setups? I cant seem to find that many pictures of custom OCC setups on our cars.

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
You looking for single or twin car setups?
Ideally twin stock location but somethings better than nothing. Should be cake to model and print a bracket for the PS reservoir but i guess i wanted to brainstorm some ideas.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/bmwfixerguy1s-actually-working-on-his-own-car.2282/

Here my build, I used a clone of the radium that lots of LSX guys use. They seem to be working great especially on the low side..
I'll try and find you the link..

But the low side is catching quite a bit (like 1oz per 1k miles) I don't beat on her too much appreciated boost side isn't collecting that much but if I were a rackar driver I'd suspect it would catch at the same rate.

Reactions: doublespaces

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
20160330_122340.jpg I'm running a RB external pcv with dual Mishimotto OCC's

Reactions: doublespaces

Alex

Lurker
Nov 21, 2016
Bay Area
Ride
2007 E92 335i MT
Thanks for the info guys, looks like its way simpler with the relocated inlets. Is there any reason to not have the high and low load systems lead to the same area?

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Thanks for the info guys, looks like its way simpler with the relocated inlets. Is there any reason to not have the high and low load systems lead to the same area?

No not really but I'd try and keep they away from the turbos. Remember the way they work is partially by when the hot vapors get slowed down in a cooler can the oil condenses and lays in the bottom of the can.
If they were red hot on the turbo side they may not be as efficient. Purely speculation based on their intended design. I've even considered using the little cut outs by the left side strut to duct some cooler air onto them as well as intake manifold area.