DIY The Ultimate BMW N54 Charge Pipe & BOV Guide (Video)

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
As I begin to increase the boost in my 335i, the first thing I want to address is the charge pipe. The stock plastic charge pipe is prone to cracking and breaking with increased pressure. Since I don't want to be left stranded on the side of the road, I decided to upgrade the charge pipe right away.

If you're beginning to mod your N54, I wrote a detailed article about what to look for when shopping for a charge pipe. Check it out here: The Ultimate BMW N54 Charge Pipe & BOV Guide

There are a ton of options on the market for charge pipes, blow-off valves and diverter valves, but I chose the BMS aluminum charge pipe with a TiAL BOV. In my opinion, this is the best bang-for-your-buck option available. It fits great, has a durable finish, two NPT bungs, includes all the proper hardware and a genuine BOV.

I also filmed a video demonstrating the whole installation process with a few tips/tricks along the way. Let me know what you think!

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
But which BOV is the loudest man? I need people a few blocks away to know when I shift. I want to sound like the subaru that drives past my house. I know when he shifts, I need others to know dammit!

Also, While I used to be a fan of T bolts: https://www.amsperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Worm_Gear_Clamp.pdf

I think Murray's are the best or this type of clamp design: https://www.murraycorp.com/products/clamps/constant-tension/

Nice DIY video, as always, they are informative.

I think the HKS BOV is what you're looking for :laughing:

As far as the clamps, I think you just schooled me. I still think T-bolts are better simply because they're easier to properly tighten. You want those suckers tight and I struggle getting worm gear clamps to get really tight, but it could be because I've used shitty ones. They're right, I think with quality clamps, you'll be alright either way.

135iTX

Corporal
Dec 1, 2017
Ride
2009 135i
In my experience I have found that high quality stainless steel hose clamps (Lokman) work much better than tbolts.