Ride
E46 335D
272hp sit 1.3mm lower than 286hp injector
Simple injector seat modification

derkenblosh

Feb 28, 2017
Ride
2009 335D
Ah! 3rd time i've read this post... then i get to the end here, and still no Dyno chart of pictures of a transmission blown to pieces... frustrating... Can't wait till i can afford to build the same setup :-D

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Ah! 3rd time i've read this post... then i get to the end here, and still no Dyno chart of pictures of a transmission blown to pieces... frustrating... Can't wait till i can afford to build the same setup :-D

Not as frustrating as waiting on the pistons...

Razgadka

Sep 11, 2018
Ride
E92(d)
I just stumbled over this thread and I’m completely hooked. I just finished up a M57 conversion to a E92. I’ve taken the entire drive train and electrical from my 335d sedan and put it into my 328 coupe. Now that I have the platform I wanted (diesel coupe) the next task is to make freshen up the engine. I’m glad to see someone charting the course. Your engine mods are just what I was looking for. I’ll post some pictures of my project when it’s out of paint next week.

laurent974

Oct 12, 2018
Ride
335d
Je viens de trébucher sur ce fil et je suis complètement accro. Je viens de terminer une conversion M57 en E92. J'ai pris tout le train d'entraînement et l'électricité de ma berline 335d et je l'ai intégré dans mon coupé 328. Maintenant que j'ai la plate-forme que je voulais (coupé diesel), la tâche suivante consiste à rafraîchir le moteur. Je suis content de voir quelqu'un tracer le parcours. Vos mods de moteur sont exactement ce que je cherchais. Je posterai quelques photos de mon projet quand il sera à court de peinture la semaine prochaine.
Not New ?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I just stumbled over this thread and I’m completely hooked. I just finished up a M57 conversion to a E92. I’ve taken the entire drive train and electrical from my 335d sedan and put it into my 328 coupe. Now that I have the platform I wanted (diesel coupe) the next task is to make freshen up the engine. I’m glad to see someone charting the course. Your engine mods are just what I was looking for. I’ll post some pictures of my project when it’s out of paint next week.

Perhaps what @laurent974 was alluding to, isn't there already an E92 335d?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
yeah you would have to swap it in the states. With the E92 having such SMALL rear tires the tq from a tuned & modded diesel would be too much imo.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi

how hard was it to do? One guy is doing it to a 328i touring at the moment...looks to be like much fun swapping body harnesses.

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
I had a small discussion with DUDMD and althought they are great tuners for the M57, they dont want to partake in any tunes for swap cars, like my E39 with an M57. Since no other tuner has a flash that will pass OBD readiness in NY, this plan is getting shelved. Most likely will just be a factory refresh on the engine, seal it up and find a blower to strap to it for a few extra ponies. Car got totaled by a fedex truck and since the damage was limited to the doors, just putting a new one on and gonna keep driving it..owes me nothing now anyway.

On a more positive note, I used the payout to put a deposit on an E70 X5d....excited to finally get back into a diesel.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
I had a small discussion with DUDMD and althought they are great tuners for the M57, they dont want to partake in any tunes for swap cars, like my E39 with an M57. Since no other tuner has a flash that will pass OBD readiness in NY, this plan is getting shelved. Most likely will just be a factory refresh on the engine, seal it up and find a blower to strap to it for a few extra ponies. Car got totaled by a fedex truck and since the damage was limited to the doors, just putting a new one on and gonna keep driving it..owes me nothing now anyway.

On a more positive note, I used the payout to put a deposit on an E70 X5d....excited to finally get back into a diesel.
So....you are saying you have a donor M57 for sale...?

Div_Selqnin

Nov 24, 2018
Ride
Antonov93
Hello guys,
I read this topic with high interest. If possible to ask about my project here, sorry if bother you.

I have bmw e39 3,0d (M57D30)
GT2260V runing on 1,4bar boost
FMIC - big
egr deleted
63mm straight exhaust system
MAP/Fuel rail pressure from the next generation diesel
The goal is 275hp and 700nm on engine.

Now i want to go for more - i found in this topic that i need:
bimmertune valve springs
286hp intake valves and porting(?)
272/286hp camshafts(?)
ofcourse bigger exhaust system and turbo.

i`m planning also to go with EDC16 ECU and commonrail fuel pump from 3,0d 204hp (R90 pump and managment). I already have DLLA145P1655 injectors on the desk are these the correct injectors for this engine?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Pajungo

Nov 25, 2018
Ride
2011 bmw 335d
Hello All! Long time lurker in this forum, and recently decided to join the group. Before I begin - I am a long time BMW owner, with past cars to include a E46 M3, a 2007 E93 335i, a 2013 E93, and my current stable of BMW's - E90 335d and a E88 135i. This post is specifically related to the (M57) 335d, and why I absolutely LOVE this platform.

I have always owned a diesel car/truck/SUV, mostly of the VW TDi variant. When VW decided to try and cheat the EPA - I had the opportunity to sell back my TDi and buy a BMW 335d. Every TDi I own has been tuned for maximum power and torque.

Little background on the 335d/X5d, and details specific to my 335d. The E90 M57 335d was sold in the US from 2009-2011 - and unfortunately, a MT was never offered in this car here. Less than 10,000 M57's 335d's we sold here in the US during this period; however the M57 was used globally in various platforms and even in the X5d here in the US. Stock hp and tq number's were ~265/425 respectively. Fuel mileage was rated at 36 mpg's for the highway. The M57 runs a compound (Sequential) turbo set-up with a HP (small) turbo to spool quickly while the LP (Large) turbo build boost. A changeover valve regulates when the LP takes over. Unlike the N54 and N55 - the turbos are integrated in such a way that changing out to larger turbos or even a single is a huge challenge (more on this later).

Unlike the N54 and N55 335i, the lack of demand or popularity for a diesel 335, as well as an iron fist EPA policy pushed BMW to stop offering a diesel 335 here in the states. Many of the problems with this platform are directly related to the Diesel Particulate Filter and the SCR systems mandated by the EPA. The use of DEF in diesel cars/trucks is not uncommon with modern diesel's; however the exhaust system completely chokes this car and causes issues that can drive owners to hate diesel cars. Carbon cleaning is another issue from the DPF/SCR systems. Every diesel BMW must have a carbon cleaning and walnut blasting around 80k miles or so. Once the car is cleaned (and deleted, see below) - you never have to worry about this again. Or use DEF....

BMW does currently sell the N57 based 328d here in the US; however it is not a worthy successor to the M57 IMO.

Now - on to the good stuff!! Why do I LOVE the M57 so much...? For starters, it's different. Unlike the N54 and N55 - the M57 has never really been pushed to it's full potential. Over the last 2 years, this has drastically changed. These cars are now being supported by a handful of knowledgeable tuners and part specific shops. Additionally - VW bought back most of the 2.0 (485,000 to be exact) and 3.0 TDi's here in the US (Mine included). This cash heavy group of former diesel owners began to research viable options for replacements and a used 335d could be had for $10,000 to $16,000. It was really a perfect storm of events that led to a quick explosion of 2nd generation 335d owners who are looking for an economical car with a superb delivery of power and balance.

I sourced my 335d just before VW bought back my VW 2.0 TDi. The 335d was bone stock when I purchased it (see pic). I knew before I purchased the car - I have every intent to completely delete all emissions, straight pipe the car and have it tuned. In many states - other than California - diesel cars/trucks are not emission tested. Here in my state, I only have a safety inspection :D

On stock turbos, upgraded FMIC, straight pipe exhaust - these cars can make around 380 whp and about 580-600 wtq. Not bad for a diesel car! The best part - with the Emissions deleted, the car can get upwards of 45 mpg's! For the readers benefit - the almost INSTANT torque this car makes is addictive. Not satisfied with this power level - I decided to go all in for a big power. This included:

Upgraded my turbos (Hybrid)
Snow Meth kit with a 1200 cc nozzle - running a conservative 65/35 Meth/water mix.
xHP Transmission stage 3 tune
Custom Dyno tune running ~ 45 psi
Upgraded FMIC, solid piped
Wavetrac LSD, Diff Brace, Power Flex Diff bushings
Custom CIA
Bilstein Coilovers
Modified Injectors
Hamilton Springs
HPFP

All of this brought the car to just over 500 whp and ~ 690 wtq....and many hurt feelings at the track and down in 'mexico'.

I wanted more power and wanted to see what it could really make. Understand - a couple tuners had already pushed 335d's to levels of 475-500 whp and 680-700 wtq during this time, but no one had pushed the platform beyond 515 whp. What I learned - it's a back pressure limitation with the design of the M57. Our cam profile has been referred to as a 'tractor' profile. While the N54 has made a HUGE step forward with top and bottom mount single turbo's and do not really have the need to modify the cam profile for big power - that's not the case with the M57. Having a 5k red line - power cannot be made at 6k-7k rpm's. The ability to reduce back pressure and open the air flow is critical for the M57 to make more than 500/700. Secondly - aftermarket turbos and turbo kits don't exist.....yet :)

As a result of some expensive trial and error, and switching tuners - I am working on a complete build for my 335d. Upgrades as follows:

Forged Rods that are 10mm longer
Steel one-off monotherm pistons with the wrist pin moved up 10mm - ceramic coated with anti friction coating
Fully polished/ported head, and gasket matched hone of the exhaust manifold
ARP head, main, and rod bolts
Custom cam profile for lift and duration
Custom EFR LP turbo set up

The goal here is ~ 650 whp, as well as a yet to be determined 750+ wtq number.

Anyway - I'll add some pics and a couple videos for the group later tonight.

Ask any questions - I enjoy a good discussion.
Hey ccbsecu I am currently looking at a 2011 bmw 335d with 72,000 miles here in California. What should I look for when purchasing one of these vehicles?

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Hello guys,
I read this topic with high interest. If possible to ask about my project here, sorry if bother you.

I have bmw e39 3,0d (M57D30)
GT2260V runing on 1,4bar boost
FMIC - big
egr deleted
63mm straight exhaust system
MAP/Fuel rail pressure from the next generation diesel
The goal is 275hp and 700nm on engine.

Now i want to go for more - i found in this topic that i need:
bimmertune valve springs
286hp intake valves and porting(?)
272/286hp camshafts(?)
ofcourse bigger exhaust system and turbo.

i`m planning also to go with EDC16 ECU and commonrail fuel pump from 3,0d 204hp (R90 pump and managment). I already have DLLA145P1655 injectors on the desk are these the correct injectors for this engine?

Thanks for your time!
I’d start with hybrid turbos and better air intake to start with. With stock injectors and R90 - you should have more than enough to support your goal. Depending on where you are located - pro turbo is a good option in Europe. Couple different companies here stateside.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Hey ccbsecu I am currently looking at a 2011 bmw 335d with 72,000 miles here in California. What should I look for when purchasing one of these vehicles?
Recent carbon cleaning and/or walnut blasting. Next would be issues associated with the DEF/SCR system. These items may have been recently addressed by the dealer. If not, they are terribly expensive to fix out of pocket. Then would be EGR leaks or failures. The crank pulley is also an issue. This will leave you stranded without any advanced warning.

The challenge with a Cali 335d - almost impossible to delete the car and keep it registered. These cars need to be deleted to eliminate 90% of the issues they all eventually face.