DIY Tester(s) needed for bucketless to bucket conversion kit

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
PFS is looking for one, no more than two, testers who have a fairly recently acquired bucketless single pump system from any vendor other than us, that is unhappy and wants to swap to a bucketed system but use their existing Walbro. This does not (currently) apply to double pump systems, which will be addressed at a different time.

We've been approached by a surprising number of guys that were less than thrilled with the experience of buying a bucketless system, running out of fuel out on some spirited drive, contacting the vendor and being told to buy a bucketed system. We get it -bucketless was never intended to be the end all/be all of fueling systems, and it's not the vendor's fault that a bucket and bucketless system perform different in different capacities.... but wouldn't it be nice to not have to go through the hassle of selling your old pump and starting the puchase all over again? Let's put a little power back in the hands of the DIY crowd and help out with "how to", and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

Few ground rules here:

1: This is not an attack on other vendors, but here at PFS we do things different. What makes this platform so awesome is that we have a lot of DIY guys who like to get their hands dirty. We don't resist it, we love and embrace it.

2: Describe car, all power related mods, fuel used, boost/timing, and horsepower in current configuration, and obviously what LPFP you're using. We rate the single pump systems at 525 whp on ethanol blends above E50, and 600 whp on race gas or ethanol blends below E50. If you're pushing fueling limits with a single pump buckless system, a single pump bucketed system will not do it for you; time to add another pump (meaning you're probably not a great fit for this particular conversion test). To validate that, I'd really like to see a log.

3: Looking for testers who are mechanically inclined, and able to take reasonable photos and/or write about their experience (spoiler; I'm going to use this info!). Describe your experience (briefly).

4: Looking for testers who will provide a reasonable timeline for accomplishing this, and stick to it. I am uninterested in sending you parts for a kit to have you accomplish this sometime in August of 2028. Sooner is better, but definitely looking for this to be done LONG before end of year, and I'd prefer it in early Nov.

5: Prefer that tester is in continental US, further preferred in the Phoenix area as we can meet and just do a handoff, but that's not necessary, USPS works pretty good. ;)

6: This is a trial run and things can get wonky. We'll get you squared away, just understand sometimes the road isn't perfectly smooth, especially with re-purposing aftermarket parts from vendors we have no control over.

IMG-0178.jpg

Respond here & email if you're serious, let's do this!

Chris

Reactions: doublespaces

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
My current set up is bucket less Walbro 450 but it sucks as I run out of gas at 3/4 tanks. I plan to go with an hydramat as my car is on the lift for upgraded turbos install I could be a tester. But I'm in Paris France.

Reactions: PFS

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I have fuel it stage 2 bucketless obv, I have hydra 650 turbos ,bl coils upgrading to v2 harness"already purchased", prog meth with torqbyte and integrated to flex fuel pin, gc suspension with m3 arms and white line bushings, 275 rear 245 front nt05 tires, ade 650 fmic ,custom outlet due, vrsf dp with cats cut out and vibrant resonators welded in place may be 3.5 single very soon,index 12 injectors ,propulsive dynamics transmission with rebuilt valve body, 74 k miles on car was dinan stage 2 until 54k and the last round of upgrades were done 7k miles ago. I do have e30 custom tune but am running 93 octane with the meth ff tune both by v8bait. All maintenance is up to date I run amsoil signature series or sometimes motul or rli if cant get hands on amsoil. High and low side pcv since low side and ports blocked my high side usually has little condensation if anything and my low side barely has enough to drip out every 3k miles so far. Could be also new VC gasket and turbos idk cause I used to get quarter cup on high side every 3k miles but those turbos only had 20k miles on them but def was pushing them hard. Anyway block is healthy and I have the funds to do anything necessary that may come up. I was going to go back to bucket just been procrastinating cause was setting the meth up and I also am setting up audiotec amp but I should have daily response time aka every night can make changes or log.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
600whp running 93 with meth. I have stock hpfp with 20k on it that's healthy but I crashed at round 550whp last go around but that was e30 and then tried running very rich afr no e85 and was 93 octane with octane boost or sunoco 98 mix with 93. Justin said ibdef could get 600whp with my hpfp just we targeted crazy afr cause it was last minute tune for mpact so wanted stay safe as possible. Also that was before tables for hpfp inlet valve were available and with meth we are going to be pushing 10 degrees at 24 psi and then possibly more timing but with the flex fuel safety we aren't going pig fat and can push alot more cause if meth dont flow it will drop to conservative timing levels. Also FWIW I am running just shy of 1000cc of 70/30 according to my flow sensor.
Anyway all this is why it's so important I don't hit fuel starvation when smacking limiter in middle drift or something. I been just treating half tank like empty but I need to eliminate variables if I really want to push this setup to it's full potential. I want to be able to go to track or roll race and have full power but then turn off my meth and run safe 93 for auto x and drifting

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Im honestly ok with buying a new pump if nec but I think this is cool and I wouldnt mind playing with bucket and learning little more about it. I changed the pump on my ford Van's hat cause it failed recently so I feel alot better about doing it myself but I dont mind spending the money either. I just thought this looked interesting and like it lines up with my goals cause I know I may end up between 550 and 600whp but would love to crack 600whp reliably on 93 with meth. I know I could glory run but I dd my car and want be able to enjoy it.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
600whp running 93 with meth. I have stock hpfp with 20k on it that's healthy but I crashed at round 550whp last go around but that was e30 and then tried running very rich afr no e85 and was 93 octane with octane boost or sunoco 98 mix with 93. Justin said ibdef could get 600whp with my hpfp just we targeted crazy afr cause it was last minute tune for mpact so wanted stay safe as possible. Also that was before tables for hpfp inlet valve were available and with meth we are going to be pushing 10 degrees at 24 psi and then possibly more timing but with the flex fuel safety we aren't going pig fat and can push alot more cause if meth dont flow it will drop to conservative timing levels. Also FWIW I am running just shy of 1000cc of 70/30 according to my flow sensor.
Anyway all this is why it's so important I don't hit fuel starvation when smacking limiter in middle drift or something. I been just treating half tank like empty but I need to eliminate variables if I really want to push this setup to it's full potential. I want to be able to go to track or roll race and have full power but then turn off my meth and run safe 93 for auto x and drifting

Im honestly ok with buying a new pump if nec but I think this is cool and I wouldnt mind playing with bucket and learning little more about it. I changed the pump on my ford Van's hat cause it failed recently so I feel alot better about doing it myself but I dont mind spending the money either. I just thought this looked interesting and like it lines up with my goals cause I know I may end up between 550 and 600whp but would love to crack 600whp reliably on 93 with meth. I know I could glory run but I dd my car and want be able to enjoy it.

Rob, I'm game if you are. Shoot me an email with your details (email in signature), address, and timeline for getting all this jazz sorted. I presume this isn't your only vehicle, correct?

Chris

So, you are effectively 'rebucketing' the stage 2 bucketless pumps?

Yes sir!

Anyone else from Spool Street interested?

Chris

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
What kind of testing and how long will it take ? Might be interested however I'm putting the car away for winter in a few weeks.
I am having trouble with the fuelit bucketless stage 2 pump keep running out of fuel at 3/4 full tank.
Goals - 600whp 94+meth
Running DOCRACE 6266, r8 coils etc. It made 555whp on a Mustang Dyno.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
What kind of testing and how long will it take ? Might be interested however I'm putting the car away for winter in a few weeks.
I am having trouble with the fuelit bucketless stage 2 pump keep running out of fuel at 3/4 full tank.
Goals - 600whp 94+meth
Running DOCRACE 6266, r8 coils etc. It made 555whp on a Mustang Dyno.

All the info is in the first post. Looking for someone with a bucketless single walbro 450 based pump that is not PFS, who is unhappy with their setup and wants to trade flow potential for having a bucket without buying a whole new pump, but instead DIY'ing it to re-purpose their old bucketless.

Chris

Reactions: JimboFresh206

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
I'm in, work at shop, have a single turbo e90, currently using a 450 on the side of my bucket.

Thanks for the offer, but is your system single or dual pump? I’m looking for those with solely one walbro bucketless systems who are unhappy with the bucketless concept and want to re-bucket their pump without buying a whole new pump.

Chris

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
I would like to ditch the Hobbs and go-to having just the 450. My pressure stays high (80-90psi) for like 3-4 minutes after the Hobbs has been tripped, weirds me out.

And I only have pump gas around here so a single 450 seems to meet my needs.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
All the info is in the first post. Looking for someone with a bucketless single walbro 450 based pump that is not PFS, who is unhappy with their setup and wants to trade flow potential for having a bucket without buying a whole new pump, but instead DIY'ing it to re-purpose their old bucketless.

Chris
I'm interested.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Sending email when get home I have a my 18 n55 x5 and work Van's. I'd prefer not to have alot of downtime as my wife wants strangle me cause my car spends at least 3 months a yr apart lmao. I can have downtime tho if nec only possible issue is Nov 7th to nov 10th my car will be out of state cause it is being flat bedded to auto couture in NJ to have my wrap redone, just for full disclosure

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
I am and will. Double to bucket is more involved, but since you’re here and thinking about it, why don’t you send me an email with your details and let’s start roughing out a plan.

Chris

Email sent. Thanks!