Tesla mops up the streets

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Sorry guys but I think we're racekaring
Alllllll wrong.. Gonna sell my 335 and take one of those I3 leases they keep trying to jam down out throats lol

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ah, this dude is killing them in the eighth. I saw his other video where he cleaned house as well.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Ah, this dude is killing them in the eighth. I saw his other video where he cleaned house as well.

Its pure speculation I guess to see how hard they would trap on him or if he would have a sick 40 roll game as well but like you said 1/8 mile he has no competition at All!

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
This totally makes sense. Electric motors are 100% instant torque once the switch is pressed. Electrics will always win less than 1/8 mile. I bet this is a much different story for the 1/4 and 1/2 mile.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This totally makes sense. Electric motors are 100% instant torque once the switch is pressed. Electrics will always win less than 1/8 mile. I bet this is a much different story for the 1/4 and 1/2 mile.

As battery technology evolves(and it has a LOT more evolution left) it won't matter. We can say they are king of the 1/8 for now, but that will soon reach all the way to the 1/4 and eventually the 1/2. The reason is because the power to weight ratio will get better and better, in fact they are positioned for a very big leap in that regard in the coming years. Initially, you could see dedicated electric race cars, expensive ones, that can rip through the 1/4. There are a variety of battery storage technologies available right now that triple the battery capacity. The only downside is they have limited recharge cycles(50-100), but like rebuilding a drag engine, if its a race car, who cares. Recent discoveries are putting that in the past however, so they will likely become commercially viable in the next several years. Better yet, Lithium Sulfur does not have a chemically induced thermal runaway which causes fires. When punctured, it simply loses some of its voltage.

Lithium Sulfur (Li-S) batteries are already in use in this way, but for things such as the Solar Impulse airplane that flew around the world using nothing but the sun for power. If you replaced a Tesla Model S Lithium Ion battery with a Lithium Sulfur of the same mass, instead of a 300 mile range, it would drive for nearly 1000 miles on a charge. If you optimize that for a race application, you only need to drive 1320 feet, right? You'd only need a miniature battery weighing 100-200 pounds instead of ~1500 pounds. So you take a stripped down 4200 pound car and make it 2800-2900 pounds, and you have a rocket.

Energy storage is still in its infancy, that is probably the most troublesome bit for the internal combustion engine.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
The Tesla owner is here in NC and I've seen this thing first hand on those late night Mexico runs. It's insane to see a car trap as fast as this thing does, and watch the same people come back for more punishment. I have also seen a cummins almost take this car in a 1/8th...but the driver of the truck cannot drive :)

Rumor has it - he'll get the new Tesla sports car if/when it's released...

• Agree
Reactions: Rob09msport

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I think every one of those videos was with a traction challenged car. I'd like to see how it fares against a stock 911 turbo S.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think every one of those videos was with a traction challenged car. I'd like to see how it fares against a stock 911 turbo S.

In the 1/8? I doubt anything would have changed, particularly with that car being gutted. This P100D does 6.5 in the 1/8th and 10.44 in the 1/4.

What is the 911 turbo s stock 1/8 record?

Last edited:

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
So the Tesla is just barely quicker than the 911, I found several 10.5-10.7 times for the 911. But the 911 is doing 5-15 mph quicker at the 1320 mark.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Well, give the 1/4 mile to several of the cars in the OP and they would probably win out. But this is 1/8th mile and the 911 doesn't even come close to 6.5 from what I've seen, in stock form. Eventually, the gas engine will be relegated to 1/2 mile only races lol

• Dislike
Reactions: sirdaft1

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Well, give the 1/4 mile to several of the cars in the OP and they would probably win out. But this is 1/8th mile and the 911 doesn't even come close to 6.5 from what I've seen, in stock form. Eventually, the gas engine will be relegated to 1/2 mile only races lol
Can’t stop the future....

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Can’t stop the future....

The 1/8th mile is NOT where you'd want to be losing your races, its not a good sign for people who want to dominate street races in their mustangs. Electric cars have a very high ceiling they aren't even scratching yet which should be a big concern. The new Tesla Roadster running 8's out of the box should give you an idea of that, but again, that is only the beginning. Battery technology has a ton of growth potential in several different directions.

The day that they say "Gas only cars" is the day you know gas has lost. I will give TONS of shit to anyone organizing any races that exclude electric cars. You can't talk about how inferior they all are and always will be, and how stupid the idea is for all these years and then put a security blanket around you like that.

It will be whites only pies.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The 1/8th mile is NOT where you'd want to be losing your races, its not a good sign for people who want to dominate street races in their mustangs. Electric cars have a very high ceiling they aren't even scratching yet which should be a big concern. The new Tesla Roadster running 8's out of the box should give you an idea of that, but again, that is only the beginning. Battery technology has a ton of growth potential in several different directions.

The day that they say "Gas only cars" is the day you know gas has lost. I will give TONS of shit to anyone organizing any races that exclude electric cars. You can't talk about how inferior they are all and always will be, and how stupid the idea is for all these years and then put a security blanket around you like that.

It will be whites only pies.

Couldn’t agree more !

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Clearly the future. It's an exciting time with the internal combustion engine at a very high level of development, electrics just getting started, and the big sway is going to be battery technology. The lame electric car stigma was at one point deserved, but it's very quickly outgrowing that now.

ccbsecu

Corporal
Nov 26, 2017
Ride
135i
Just a quick update - the Tesla lost to a AWD short wheelbase truck a couple weeks ago. The truck ran 4 slicks and makes over 1,000 whp.

At the 1/8 mile point - truck was a solid 2 cars ahead.

So....it takes a 1,000 whp, AWD, gutted race truck to beat the Tesla.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Clearly the future. It's an exciting time with the internal combustion engine at a very high level of development, electrics just getting started, and the big sway is going to be battery technology. The lame electric car stigma was at one point deserved, but it's very quickly outgrowing that now.
About as well deserved as taking Michael Jordan's basketball away in 3rd grade because he clearly can't compete with the pros. Give up, you're 4 feet tall. Bwahaha.....

Remember the "never will be viable" people. Where are they? Yes I am vengeful, let's execute them all. Literally a hinderence to the future of transportation. Baggage we carry as a society.