Switching terminology from FBO to BPU

What mods do you consider part of BPU? (Select Multiple)

• Tune

Votes: 53 94.6%
  • FMIC

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • Chargepipe

Votes: 41 73.2%
  • Intake

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • Downpipe

Votes: 50 89.3%
  • Exhaust

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Inlets/Outlets

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • LPFP

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
My take is that fbo means full bolt on, where you every avalible bolt on part that's out on the market for the platform. If it requires tearing down the eng ie cams, pistions, rods it not a "bolt on". A bolt on is something you should be able to remove and replace with out have to disassemble main components to install an item. Also the said bolt on must provide some type of car performance gain such as power or weight savings. FBO is used way to much on this platform but it goes the same from any other platform. Mainly due to everything being more opinions base. So if someone made a list saying this is what you have to have to be FBO then it cleans it up

And this is why the acronym should be changed or eliminated. How can you make a list of mods to be considered fully bolted when there are new mods all the time?

FBO now means sometime entirely different than FBO before there were upgraded turbos and inlets. That is why a suggested minimal term is used and build upward from there as more and more mods come out.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Why don't we all just stop being lazy, secretive ninjas and fully type out our parts once, save it somewhere and copy+paste everywhere else for the future. Then we can get rid of fbo/bpu ;)
This is a good idea. Except people are lazy, they can't even spell you, that, this or other two and three letter words. You expect them to draft up and copy a mod list, doubt that.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
IMO for this moment in time because the platform is constantly changing...
ATLEAST:
Intake, Downpipes, Chargepipe, and Intercooler

Possibly:
LPFP, Revamped Ignition Coils, Inlets... Outlets(Out there but..)

Extras:
TBI/Meth, Turbos/Turbo, PI, etc...

The reasoning for this is, I really don't see anything past the Atleast/Possibly being considered FBO as we aren't changing the way the car is fueled ultimately, we aren't changing how the induction takes place, we aren't changing the way the engine was designed overall to do the basics.
Basics being:
Induction
Fueling
Compression
Exhaust

Now, we do change some of the basics but! We are not in a need to find excuses to claim we have not ultimately redesigned the way that process takes place. This is a bad rule of thumb but, if you need an external system to control a new system in the engines design.. It's past FBO. (PI Controllers, Boost Controllers, etc)

Essentially, if the stock DME can handle the job.. I see it as a bolt-on.

Again, all my opinions but.. It's the way I see it.

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
We could adopt a supra style nomenclature but with FBO as a base as everyone is used to that TLA.

Traditional FBO meaning: Intake, Exhaust, Tune, FMIC

FBO+: Intake, Exhaust, Tune, FMIC, Inlets, LPFP (potentially have outlets in here too)

FBO++: all of the above but upgraded turbo's too

Single turbo: self explanatory

Cold side chargepipe and bov aren't performance upgrades, they just eliminate the potential for having leaky dv's exploding your stock cp.

Danksies

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
NoVA
This is a good idea. Except people are lazy, they can't even spell you, that, this or other two and three letter words. You expect them to draft up and copy a mod list, doubt that.
Oh for sure. I agree And my answer to that is I just don't deal with those people lol. Being lazy is equal to being stupid (unless you think of it like smart, lazy people are the ones that build inventions that make our lives easier lol). I don't expect the ones with info and the ones doing work to be so lazy that they can't type something down once and copy+paste.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The best way, honestly, is probably to just be D/F/I, Downpipes, FMIC, Inlets. Something like that. Its easy and probably the most accurate. The domestic guys had it right IMO

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I like the idea of bpu because of the words it implies. Basic performance UPGRADES. What to we buy? Upgraded charge pipe, upgraded intercooler, upgraded downpipes, upgraded inlets, upgraded turbos. A bolt on should be something not already on the car that you "bolt on", ie, port injection, water/meth,.... I don't have any other examples cause I can't focus this dayquil is messing with my head . But you get the idea. I like bpu, but I don't think we could ever be able to get Eve to switch from FBO.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
My .02
There's just too many modifications to use the term FBO for anything other than casual convo. Can't use that term for diagnosing issues posted, general log checks etc.
I like TJ's suggestion but a bit less specific
Stock
FBO - Stock turbos + stickers
FBO+ Upgraded twins
ST - Single (Has to be used in larger font to be valid)

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
My .02
There's just too many modifications to use the term FBO for anything other than casual convo. Can't use that term for diagnosing issues posted, general log checks etc.
I like TJ's suggestion but a bit less specific
Stock
FBO - Stock turbos + stickers
FBO+ Upgraded twins
ST - Single (Has to be used in larger font to be valid)
100% agree, I feel the meaning of FBO has evolved as the platform has, like when inlets first showed up on the scene, what most people considered FBO didn't include them but now the term definitely should

TheAllOriginal

Private
Dec 15, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Back in the day everyone ran DCI, DPs. meth and e85 with JB3 and called it FBO lol...
But in my opinion FBO would be the simple basic power adders and FBO+ for the extras. For an NA car FBO would be intake, exhaust, test pipe, and FBO+ would be if you add headers. Same goes for our car FBO would be Intercooler, intake, exhaust, downpipes, and FBO+ would be if you added inlets and or outlets. Chargepipe/BOV/DVs don't add hp so they don't count as anything lol.

I think it should be...

Anything under MBO just name your upgrade lol, And chargepipe can go into either one of these.
MildBoltOns(MBO) any 2 or 3 combinations of either Intake, Exhaust, Intercooler, or Downpipes.
FullBoltOns(FBO) Intake, Exhaust, Intercooler, AND Downpipes.
FullBoltOnsPlus(FBO+) All of the above plus inlets/outlets and or meth and or upgraded fuel pump (And chargepipe)
(I assume everyone is fully bolted before upgrading turbos)
FullBoltOnsPlusTwinTurbos(FBO+TT) All of above plus upgraded twins.
FullyBoltOnsPlusSingleTurbo(FBO+ST) All of above plus a single turbo conversion

And next state either Untuned, Or tuned and to what fuel. So for example Car1 is FBO/Tuned/E85 while Car2 is FBO+ST/Tuned/93 and Car 3 is Downpipe/Untuned/93.

Feel free to change anything you think would make more sense.

Reactions: doublespaces

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Fbo ,stage 2 lpfp ,inlets,outlets,bl coils, index 12,mhd ots 93
30 sec and everyone knows my engine mods. I agree fbo to general but the people that been around know how to interpret based on context. In this post it means i did charge pipe, fmic ,tune, dp and either bov or diverters upgraded

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
It's just the platform has progressed to much for simple acronyms to work. When it was ar pipes ,dci, meth was only optional add on and tune was jb hotpill lol or procede with a few aa tunes fbo was all you needed. It was all you had.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Fbo is fine. I know it means you are on stock snails and that is all that matters. Capped at 500whp best case.

Make it so when you look at someone's profile you can see all their mods if they list them or something.

Power adder: stock turbos, upgraded, single. If they choose anything other than stock have a dialog window to input the exact mod like vm 6466 RB Evo etc.

Just a thought. Probably a bunch of work.