Super knock. On cylinder 2

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Decided to do a log earlier, got a super knock on cylinder 2.

Has been persistent.
O2 sensors possible are dead/dying?
OEM injectors.
New 2 step plugs around 2K miles ago.

Anyone got experience with this ? Don’t really want to blow the motor up.

Might try compression test

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
It only pulls 3.3 degrees for Super Knock!? Is the code from during this log? Figured I'd see 10 lol

It looks like it pulls timing in cyl 2 when it's trying to shift but RPMs keep going up... Not sure what that means, just something I noticed. I'm 6MT myself.

What fuel you running? Just curious... Might be a lil lean in 5th but I honestly don't know good afrs off the top of my head, especially if I don't know your fuel. Just in comparison to the rest of the run. I'm bored rambling lol. Fuckin Rain... Wanna take my car out... Oh well...

Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Started super knocking on cylinder one on my 6875 car if you can hear it from the bottom end you may have done some damage. My car will no longer boost and you can hear it knocking real hard. Happened after a 32psi pull

• Wow
Reactions: SlowE93

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
It only pulls 3.3 degrees for Super Knock!? Is the code from during this log? Figured I'd see 10 lol

It looks like it pulls timing in cyl 2 when it's trying to shift but RPMs keep going up... Not sure what that means, just something I noticed. I'm 6MT myself.

What fuel you running? Just curious... Might be a lil lean in 5th but I honestly don't know good afrs off the top of my head, especially if I don't know your fuel. Just in comparison to the rest of the run. I'm bored rambling lol. Fuckin Rain... Wanna take my car out... Oh well...
Well that’s what I’m tryna figure, it’s a shadow code. And I haven’t heard anything bad. But I have also heard of people once they get -5+ of timing cor it can shadow code a super knock.

looks like we need some new o2 sensors though. The trims are eh. Maybe that’s causing it

Started super knocking on cylinder one on my 6875 car if you can hear it from the bottom end you may have done some damage. My car will no longer boost and you can hear it knocking real hard. Happened after a 32psi pull
Holy!

I don’t think it has actually done it. Car still drives fine with no noises. I’m going to keep it low power for a while.

Damn man 32PSI! That must have been quick

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Hahah 32 psi was moving, but if your are just shadow codes I know some guys who've used a small rubber washer on ther knock sensors and that helps them if its more of a false knock situation. 02s are a good place to start if the trims are a bit wonky

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
The internet says super knock is combustion before the plug actually fires. I think its separate from regular knock altogether, therefore I don't think messing with the knock sensors would help. How do your valves look. Maybe it could've been carbon deposits hot spotting when they got into the cylinder.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah thats what the internet says , or once you've bent a rod or bent a valve or something really wrong in the motor the superknock will no longer be a shadow code and you will no longer be able to boost.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I'll just say that it didn't come from the other forum lol. I figure if you can understand what makes it happen then maybe you can stop it. I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up. I just assumed it was a really bad knock/timing pull.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I'll just say that it didn't come from the other forum lol. I figure if you can understand what makes it happen then maybe you can stop it. I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up. I just assumed it was a really bad knock/timing pull.
Yea super knock is exactly what it sounds like it can happen from having an coil popping out or from having and injector ground come loose or injector power wire not all the way in all has happened to me on my previous motor and all were shadow knocking and are fixable . When superknock becomes a regular code it means something has gone wrong in the motor

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I have had this happen and have a thread on here somewhere.
Some people have even said it's not actual superknock if you search deep enough. Mine would happen on top end, and superknock , when searched on line, seems to occur at lower rpms (LSPI).
Mine would sound more like ignition breaking up. I might have a video somewhere. Logs alway showed bank going lean just as you see on a misfire. Timing pulls meant nothing as sometimes it would pull, other times it would not.

Whats up Ted....hit me on Signal and I can send the video if I still have it to see if you have had the same experience.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I just wanna know what causes it to pop up intermittently. Feel like it's not the motor, at this time... I try to learn whatever I can lol

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Well if your getting it in bank one you should look at what else in bank 1 may be causing that issue be it fuel injector or 02 or ignition related

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Yea super knock is exactly what it sounds like it can happen from having an coil popping out or from having and injector ground come loose or injector power wire not all the way in all has happened to me on my previous motor and all were shadow knocking and are fixable . When superknock becomes a regular code it means something has gone wrong in the motor
You say super knock when it becomes normal ?

do you mean when it turns from a shadow code into an active code ?

Or am I missing something here ?

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
You say super knock when it becomes normal ?

do you mean when it turns from a shadow code into an active code ?

Or am I missing something here ?
Yeah my motor never super knocked ever until a 32psi pull and now its an active code even after desensitizing the knock tables

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Yeah my motor never super knocked ever until a 32psi pull and now its an active code even after desensitizing the knock tables
I see, it might be a fake code which is what I’m worried about. I can see O2 and injectors can cause these issues. I have no idea what index my injectors are.
They are still OEM from factory so whenever that was 🤣

amg6975

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2019
Ride
2012 135, 2005 ZHP, 2009 fJCW
It was not at 32psi but when my N55 popped the codes were all super knock, but it was a spun rod bearing.