Stock Turbo Love

Jan 5, 2018
South Jersey
Ride
07 335i
Filippo has a great grip on the scenario, as noted by the above. It is always great to see one go through the entire process, and build the understanding like he has so thank you for that.

These are things you'd want to do if you wish to mitigate buildup, as the process of going external PCV (when equipped with the low side OCC) will literally catch all the crud otherwise that would've otherwise passed through the PCV valve and into the intake tract. This however is not a guarantee for ever cleanly valves, as there ARE other variables (ie. turbos that are pushing oil, cam overlap, etc)- but it is a sure fire way to catch the heavy contaminates that are otherwise passed through the PCV valve itself rather than letting them through to build up on the valves.

FWIW we have been selling these external pcv kits for just at 3 years now- and most all of the feedback has been terrific and the majority of it has been relief from valves that tend to stay cleaner for longer. Getting away from the internal valve cover vacuum reference channels and affiliated vulnerabilities in the valve cover (and gasket) in the process is also a good way to bullet proof the system for more sound functionality and for ease of future servicing (as needed) as well.

You can do a lot more reading on it here (including some feedback from some users later in the thread):
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35535

Rob

Thank you for that explanation Rob. I think I'm going to try a low side OCC and RB PCV. I just wanted answer as to what was the point if it didn't clean that well. But it may be that most have an High side OCC and dont see great improvements.

Here is another thread i found about a dual catch can setup if anybody wants a good read.

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/dual-catch-can-why-you-want-to-do-it.3136/

Last edited:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Actually I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't know that your logic works (which is grounded in a cost-centric comparison). I see people all over the forums chasing misfires, timing corrections, threads all over the place on cylinder #5 etc. At only 30k miles on my motor, healthy, highly well maintained, etc ... my runners look like shit. I've had tuning issues also (with index 12s, 1 step colder plugs, stockers running 18psi, everything fresh aside intake runners). Not sure yet if this will clear it up but if you've done any reading on flow bench, rates, et cetera, I'm sure you know that a stalactite-infested cavern is not ideal for airflow. The problem is not doing walnut blasts - simply I doubt you are going to do them, say, every 20k miles (based on my experience). To do it right, you have to clean it BEFORE it becomes a problem, right? It would be nice to minimize the issue or even eliminate it. Why? I think it is one of the unattributable gremlins that plagues this car, from timing corrections to busted ring lands. It's just my 02 cents. For anyone making power, I can't see any rational that all that crap packed in certain intake runners is healthy for tuning for power...

Filippo
When I was on stock turbos, I had zero timing corrections and this was BEFORE the blast. While it may be cause / reason for some (timing issues), it was NOT an issue for me. I do keep EVERYTHING clean and maintained as its just the way I am. This was at 434whp at 21 psi. After that, I did the blast and added inlets and upped the boost. Did 460whp. Not saying it shouldnt be done, I believe its a MUST. just didnt have any timing issues either way.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
A bump above stock, I built these myself stage ones
15431048681601337619364.jpg
1543104905766112458291.jpg

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
A lil color so they won't rust to shit! These were replaced under warranty without a hint of rattle. I should've never cut them up..