Ad: Spool Helix HPFP overdrive Kit

vonhassen

Lurker
Dec 4, 2019
Ride
2009 E60 535xi
did you ever get it @RNM ? I have installed my 3x helix kit and it was running great (besides the added noise but thats the price of having a 500+whp turbo family sedan), but then about a week ago after putting 4-5k miles on it what I believe to be the vacuum plate cracked (that supposedly a common issue after installing this kit) leading to a fuel leak of unknown severity.

I know if I unbolt the HPFP assembly to look at it closer than I probably wont be able to put it back on to limp it to a shop to work on it because it would fall apart when not being held together, so I am stuck emailing them trying to work out how to get the replacement mount/plate/flange or whatever that I need for this issue to be resolved.

at first they were trying to get me to pay full price + shipping, but today they got back to me saying they would cover the cost of the part, but that I would be paying shipping... this would be fine if they could assure me they would send it out in the morning with either 3 or 2 day shipping, but they cannot make that promise currently which leaves me in a weird place.

I thought that when I ordered, and had this overdrive kit installed, in early September that the billet replacement piece was going to be included. but I can only assume that it wasn't and I somehow didn't notice it was missing.

I really wish I would have known, or that they could have worked with me more before I had to resort to pleading with them to get me this part, but now I am here with a car that I am not even confident driving the 2 hours to my preferred shop to have them work on it. this might now ruin the 1 week I had allotted to have a custom exhaust fabbed up for it next week using the all vibrant hardware I dropped well over $1k on already.

I am cool with paying whatever to get it here, but I need confirmation that spending all that on shipping would get it here and solve the problem. I also just wish the original part would have just costed more and included this or they premptively hit me up to warn me that my kit was missing this part...

sorry for venting, but basically I am asking if you ever got that part, and if things have been smooth since then or not?

Reactions: matreyia

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
did you ever get it @RNM ? I have installed my 3x helix kit and it was running great (besides the added noise but thats the price of having a 500+whp turbo family sedan), but then about a week ago after putting 4-5k miles on it what I believe to be the vacuum plate cracked (that supposedly a common issue after installing this kit) leading to a fuel leak of unknown severity.

I know if I unbolt the HPFP assembly to look at it closer than I probably wont be able to put it back on to limp it to a shop to work on it because it would fall apart when not being held together, so I am stuck emailing them trying to work out how to get the replacement mount/plate/flange or whatever that I need for this issue to be resolved.

at first they were trying to get me to pay full price + shipping, but today they got back to me saying they would cover the cost of the part, but that I would be paying shipping... this would be fine if they could assure me they would send it out in the morning with either 3 or 2 day shipping, but they cannot make that promise currently which leaves me in a weird place.

I thought that when I ordered, and had this overdrive kit installed, in early September that the billet replacement piece was going to be included. but I can only assume that it wasn't and I somehow didn't notice it was missing.

I really wish I would have known, or that they could have worked with me more before I had to resort to pleading with them to get me this part, but now I am here with a car that I am not even confident driving the 2 hours to my preferred shop to have them work on it. this might now ruin the 1 week I had allotted to have a custom exhaust fabbed up for it next week using the all vibrant hardware I dropped well over $1k on already.

I am cool with paying whatever to get it here, but I need confirmation that spending all that on shipping would get it here and solve the problem. I also just wish the original part would have just costed more and included this or they premptively hit me up to warn me that my kit was missing this part...

sorry for venting, but basically I am asking if you ever got that part, and if things have been smooth since then or not?

Sorry to hear about your car. I received the vacuum cover plate but I'm in the process of having it installed. I haven't driven my car yet but I'll update once everything is installed.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It would be nice to see more feedback getting posted here. The Helix OD was much anticipated, looks promising, and I imagine quite a number of people purchased them over the past many months. How's it going? Comments on install ... tuning/logs ... mileage ... opinions from owners? I have other people that have been PM'ing me as well asking the same questions. If you have one kindly consider taking a few minutes to give us feedback. Thanks!

Filippo

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
I have the Helix 3x drive installed with the new vacuum housing plate along with the noise fix but haven't had a chance to really drive it yet. Props to @Chris@Motiv and @AzNdevil for the rattle fix.
However, I do have a suggestion...use the high pressure flex line that I think was offered with the original kits. Ajay sent me one of the first extended hard lines and the brazing was found to be suspect. I also didn't like how the lines were put in a bind when fully tightening so I asked him to send the HP flex line. All good now except for WOT testing. I'll report back when I've put some hard miles on it. The machining looks solid on the plate but the jury is still out on how it holds up with being cantilevered out like that.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
We currently have one on the white shop car due to no room for a shotgun as we run a large vacuum pump in that location. So far we have found some issues with rail pressure following target even with the new tables. Not dropping pressure, just very weird spikes, and also our LPFP reading went from very smooth to seeing a lot of pulses/spiking as well. Outside of that Install was pretty straight forward Tony said, a few issues he noticed but overall not bad. He is working getting everything sorted trying to get the car ready for NFZ AZ this weekend, so we will see if he makes it out.

Chris

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli and SSDD

Tyson413

Lurker
Dec 10, 2019
Ride
2012 bmw 135i
I have the Helix installed with the new vacuum housing plate along with the noise fix but haven't had a chance to really drive it yet. Props to @Chris@Motiv and @AzNdevil for the rattle fix.
However, I do have a suggestion...use the high pressure flex line that I think was offered with the original kits. Ajay sent me one of the first extended hard lines and the brazing was found to be suspect. I also didn't like how the lines were put in a bind when fully tightening so I asked him to send the HP flex line. All good now except for WOT testing. I'll report back when I've put some hard miles on it. The machining looks solid on the plate but the jury is still out on how it holds up with being cantilevered out like that.
do you know what did they do to fix the rattle(chattering fix) Is it something mechanical or it’s flash option?
Thanks.

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
So I saw on another forum that people have cracked their vacuum housing even with the billet vacuum cover in place. Here is a picture of mine installed but I am a bit concerned if it still cracks...

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Informative
Reactions: SSDD

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
So I saw on another forum that people have cracked their vacuum housing even with the billet vacuum cover in place. Here is a picture of mine installed but I am a bit concerned if it still cracks...

Do you have a link to the forum? I'd like to see exactly where and how it failed.

Reactions: scrllock

135itp

Private
Dec 6, 2018
Ride
09 135i n54 AT
I think the extra weight hanging off the vacuum pump with the vibrations is the issue here. Should be easy for anyone to make a small bracket off one of the bolts on the HPFP to the block. Just my 2 cents

1576016565537.png

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I would run a bracket to the block as it might cause issues with the knock sensor but that would be have to be tested

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Hopefully the vendor is coming up with a solution. I want to run this, bit not until all of these issues are resolved.

Reactions: jts1981

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
I'm being told that these failures are isolated to the 4x drive. Can anyone confirm? I can't comment on e90post due to perma-ban hahahahaha

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: The Convert