Speedtech EFR 7670 on e84 X1

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Hello all,

So... I'm looking into getting the Speedtech e-chassis n55 EFR 7670 turbo kit for my e84 X1. The kit was designed for e9x and has known fitment on the e9x family and e82, but there aren't any installations on e84 to confirm fitment.

My car is a 2015 35i n55 m-sport e84, and is basically an e90 but a hatch/suv version with more ground clearance. I've already got downpipe, intercooler, and charge pipe for e9x installed with no issues. Also the vrsf turbo inlet fits, but isn't installed because the o-ring break sticking it into the turbo inlet😐 I've done a ton of cross-referencing my car's vin on realoem, and everything I can find of apparent consequence seems to cross reference with both e9x & e82, or just e9x chassis. I'll try to summarize the realoem crossreference in another post - it's kind of a pain to do on a phone, haha! My engine bay seems the same as what I can see of e90's & e82's on the internet.

The only thing i've found that isn't encouraging are the following posts from another forum:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220402-140040_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220402-140040_Chrome.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Screenshot_20220402-140144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220402-140144_Chrome.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Torgus

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I've responded to the post and PM'd him asking for details, but he's moved on to S58, and i've gotten no response.

From my realoem searches, the wheel houses are the same on my car as e90, as well as the firewall, so that should be the same. My x-drive oil pan crossreferences to e90, so my front output shafts should be in the same place longitudinally. 2 turbo part numbers are listed for my car - both cross reference to e90. My engine bay appears to look the same as internet pics of e90's. Not sure what could be different about the strut towers then🤷‍♂️

Here's some pics of my engine bay:

Attachments

• 20220319_160806.jpg
    20220319_160806.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220319_160632.jpg
    20220319_160632.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220319_155848.jpg
    20220319_155848.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220318_125427.jpg
    20220318_125427.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220319_155718.jpg
    20220319_155718.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220319_155834.jpg
    20220319_155834.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220319_155819.jpg
    20220319_155819.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220319_155811.jpg
    20220319_155811.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220318_125451.jpg
    20220318_125451.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220319_155802.jpg
    20220319_155802.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220319_155748.jpg
    20220319_155748.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220319_155736.jpg
    20220319_155736.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 30

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Some things i've verified that are common between my car and e9x and e82:

Engine mounts

Charge air
-air duct pipe
-turbo inlet pipe
-turbo to IC pipe
-intercooler

Cooling system water hoses
-venting line radiator top
-hose from engine to radiator top
-line, heater return - thermostat
-pipe, engine supply-coolant pump
-hose, thermostat-coolant pump
-hose, cylinder head-thermostat
-expansion tank
-water pump
-thermostat

Turbo charger inlet & outlet pipes
Turbochargers
Turbocharger coolant lines
Vacuum pipe for wastegate
Boost solenoid & holder

Front axle related:
-traction struts
-heat resistant plate
-reinforecment plate
-front stabilizer bar
-front differential
NOTE: my front output shafts are different and unique to X1, but guessing this shouldn't matter if space for the turbo is the same?

Chassis related:
-splash wall
-engine compartment partitions
-supporting strut, front wall
-connector engine support side frames
-wheel houses

Last edited:

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
With all those part numbers i've verified, I don't see how the strut tower location could be any different on my car than an e90, but maybe i'm missing something?

Google also says my car has the same wheelbase and track width as an e90, and wider track width than e82.

With all these things verified, it seems to me that this turbo kit should fit on my car just as well as it fits on an e90 or e82.

Any thoughts from the community on this? Am I missing anything?

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
Is the X1 driveline at the same height as the 1 and 3-Series?

The front and rear xDrive subframes are X1 specific. The RWD X1 front subframe is the same as the 1 and 3-Series RWD subframes, but the mounts bolted to the block are X1 specific. The engine mounts are the same as you’ve said. This to me says the driveline is in a different position (height) to a 335ix.

Does the X1 have more suspension travel than a 335ix? Or is it ride height gain by moving the driveline and suspension mounts down in relation to the body (except the front strut)?

Part 5 is X1 specific in this diagram, but I don’t know what it does or if there’s any reduction in engine bay clearance because of it.

My best guess is that the engine sits lower in the engine bay moving the exhaust manifold closer to the chassis rail/leg, thereby reducing clearance. I don’t know for sure though, the N55 X1 is North America specific.

Edit: I forgot to link to RealOEM.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheela

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
I've responded to the post and PM'd him asking for details, but he's moved on to S58, and i've gotten no response.

From my realoem searches, the wheel houses are the same on my car as e90, as well as the firewall, so that should be the same. My x-drive oil pan crossreferences to e90, so my front output shafts should be in the same place longitudinally. 2 turbo part numbers are listed for my car - both cross reference to e90. My engine bay appears to look the same as internet pics of e90's. Not sure what could be different about the strut towers then🤷‍♂️

Here's some pics of my engine bay:
Tons of room for activities 😉

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Is the X1 driveline at the same height as the 1 and 3-Series?

The front and rear X-Drive subframes are X1 specific. The RWD X1 front subframe is the same as the 1 and 3-Series RWD subframes, but the mounts bolted to the block are X1 specific. The engine mounts are the same as you’ve said. This to me says the driveline is in a different position (height) to a 335ix.

Does the X1 have more suspension travel than a 335ix? Or is it ride height gain by moving the driveline and suspension mounts down in relation to the body (except the front strut)?

Part 5 is X1 specific in this diagram, but I don’t know what it does or if there’s any reduction in engine bay clearance because of it.

My best guess is that the engine sits lower in the engine bay moving the exhaust manifold closer to the chassis rail/leg, thereby reducing clearance. I don’t know for sure though, the N55 X1 is North America specific.

Edit: I forgot to link to RealOEM.
Thanks for responding! I'm not sure about the driveline height - do you mean height of engine & transmission relative to the body, or to the wheels? I know I've got more ground clearance than e90, but I'm not sure about suspension travel. I had assumed the output shafts just angle down more to get the higher ground clearance? That part you linked to, I assumed it was different to mate up with the X1 body panels, but not 100% sure if that's the only reason.

Yeah, I saw the front subframe was different. Just wasn't sure if that would matter given the other similarities?

On this diagram, items 1, 3, and 4 are the same. And I beleive the wheel houses mate here, so unless they can mate to different areas across platforms (and with the same engine mounts), I was thinking that the engine would be at the same height relative to the frame rails🤷‍♂️ And same frame rail width?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220328-104246_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220328-104246_Chrome.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 43

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Tons of room for activities 😉
Good to hear you're thinking we've got the room! I hope I'm just being overly cautious... Jeff at Speedtech was pretty hesitant as he's not very familiar with X1. I can see why, since they found out the kit doesn't fit 5-series e-chassis without mods, but 5-series is a bit different animal.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Good to hear you're thinking we've got the room! I hope I'm just being overly cautious... Jeff at Speedtech was pretty hesitant as he's not very familiar with X1. I can see why, since they found out the kit doesn't fit 5-series e-chassis without mods, but 5-series is a bit different animal.
You wouldn't have the concern for dumping the wastegate would you? Because your planning on running a borg warner efr correct?
After the relocation of the coolant reservoir I don't see any major hurdles with having a clean fitment. For doc race top mounts I will typically relocate the windshield washer fluid fill tube . But haven't had them issues with bottom mount kits

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
You wouldn't have the concern for dumping the wastegate would you? Because your planning on running a borg warner efr correct?
After the relocation of the coolant reservoir I don't see any major hurdles with having a clean fitment. For doc race top mounts I will typically relocate the windshield washer fluid fill tube . But haven't had them issues with bottom mount kits
Correct, I'll be running an internally gated EFR. Do you think the coolant reservoir would need to be relocated? I thought with their bottom mount EFR kit it could stay in the factory location?

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Correct, I'll be running an internally gated EFR. Do you think the coolant reservoir would need to be relocated? I thought with their bottom mount EFR kit it could stay in the factory location?
Yeah shouldn't need to relocate it actually. Since there is gonna be no wastgate

• Love

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
About wastegate, Jeff mentioned that one of the downsides with this kit is the wastegate actuator gets sandwiched between the turbo and engine, so if you have to adjust it, you have to take the turbo off. How big of a concern is this? I'd have thought that if you set it correctly before installation, you should be able to compensate for any slight adjustment in the tune?🤷‍♂️

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
Thanks for responding! I'm not sure about the driveline height - do you mean height of engine & transmission relative to the body, or to the wheels? I know I've got more ground clearance than e90, but I'm not sure about suspension travel. I had assumed the output shafts just angle down more to get the higher ground clearance? That part you linked to, I assumed it was different to mate up with the X1 body panels, but not 100% sure if that's the only reason.

Yeah, I saw the front subframe was different. Just wasn't sure if that would matter given the other similarities?

On this diagram, items 1, 3, and 4 are the same. And I beleive the wheel houses mate here, so unless they can mate to different areas across platforms (and with the same engine mounts), I was thinking that the engine would be at the same height relative to the frame rails🤷‍♂️ And same frame rail width?
I did mean the height of the engine, gearbox and diff’ relative to the body, yes, but now after more thinking I think you’re right and my hunch above was incorrect. I compared different engines (X1 28i to 328i), I didn’t clock that the X1 had the N20 and not the N52. Whoops! So on the RWD X1, everything on the front subframe appears to be identical to an E9X with the same engine.

I’ve had a look and the transmission crossmember is the same as the 335ix, so is the prop’ shaft. So I’d be pretty certain the engine/gearbox/differentials are at the same height relative to the body as the E9X 335ix.

Maybe the front (xDrive) and rear subframes are different part numbers because they’re beefed up or something? 2 of the rear suspension arms appear to be X1 specific, so maybe that explains the rear subframe.

The front and rear wheel carriers (knuckles/spindles/uprights) are X1 specific regardless of RWD or xDrive, so I guess these are where the ride height difference comes from.

The turbo is the same as 135i/335i/335ix as you’ve said, also Pure don’t ask what turbo your car came from, so are you certain what Turbod is saying correct?

On hybrid N54 turbos you have 135i/335i and RHD variant turbos I think, but on the N55 hybrid turbo it’s PWG or EWG (or M2 for some reason with Pure). I think if 335ix fitment is confirmed with the Speedtech kit you should be fine in your X1.

If you do get it, can you maybe take some clearance measurements for me? 😁

Last edited:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
About wastegate, Jeff mentioned that one of the downsides with this kit is the wastegate actuator gets sandwiched between the turbo and engine, so if you have to adjust it, you have to take the turbo off. How big of a concern is this? I'd have thought that if you set it correctly before installation, you should be able to compensate for any slight adjustment in the tune?🤷‍♂️
Hmmm I guess that would be a better question for a tuner or someone quite familiar with the borg warner efr turbos. Never honestly heard of that. With external gates there pretty simple. Run your desired base spring pressure and hook up your wastegate lines accordingly. Something that I would do on the efr range is upgrade the internal diverter valve to a gfb or turbosmart unit.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I did mean the height of the engine, gearbox and diff’ relative to the body, yes, but now after more thinking I think you’re right and my hunch above was incorrect. I compared different engines (X1 28i to 328i), I didn’t clock that the X1 had the N20 and not the N52. Whoops! So on the RWD X1, everything on the front subframe appears to be identical to an E9X with the same engine.

I’ve had a look and the transmission crossmember is the same as the 335ix, so is the prop’ shaft. So I’d be pretty certain the engine/gearbox/differentials are at the same height relative to the body as the E9X 335ix.

Maybe the front (X-Drive) and rear subframes are different part numbers because they’re beefed up or something? 2 of the rear suspension arms appear to be X1 specific, so maybe that explains the rear subframe.

The front and rear wheel carriers (knuckles/spindles/uprights) are X1 specific regardless of RWD or X-Drive, so I guess these are where the ride height difference comes from.

The turbo is the same as 135i/335i/335ix as you’ve said, also Pure don’t ask what turbo your car came from, so are you certain what Turbod is saying correct?

On hybrid N54 turbos you have 135i/335i and RHD variant turbos I think, but on the N55 hybrid turbo it’s PWG or EWG (or M2 for some reason with Pure). I think if 335ix fitment is confirmed with the Speedtech kit you should be fine in your X1.

If you do get it, can you maybe take some clearance measurements for me? 😁
Regarding Turbod's comment about the difference in turbos, I suspect that may be a misunderstanding stemming from the fact that BMW seems to have had different p/n's of turbos in use for e-series n55 (realoem shows 2 different p/n options for use on my car, but both cross reference to e90). Maybe his e90 had yet a different p/n turbo that was never used on X1 n55?🤷‍♂️. Even if that was the case, I wouldn't think it would matter given what realoem is showing.

Not sure what measurements I can get as I won't be installing myself, but I'll see about getting pictures during installation👍. Assuming you're a fellow X1 owner?

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
Not sure what measurements I can get as I won't be installing myself, but I'll see about getting pictures during installation👍. Assuming you're a fellow X1 owner?

Ah, no worries! I have an E82 N55 135i, but am based in the UK so am RHD. I don’t know of any options other than a hybrid that fit. And the Speedtech EFR kit is an awesome kit.

Photos would be great! There aren’t too many E-Series N55’s with EFR’s posted on forums, so I can’t really judge whether or not it may be possible to make it fit a RHD car. Speedtech (understandably) can’t verify fitment on RHD, and I can’t justify shipping an expensive kit over the Atlantic if it’s not at least semi-likely to work.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Ah, no worries! I have an E82 N55 135i, but am based in the UK so am RHD. I don’t know of any options other than a hybrid that fit. And the Speedtech EFR kit is an awesome kit.

Photos would be great! There aren’t too many E-Series N55’s with EFR’s posted on forums, so I can’t really judge whether or not it may be possible to make it fit a RHD car. Speedtech (understandably) can’t verify fitment on RHD, and I can’t justify shipping an expensive kit over the Atlantic if it’s not at least semi-likely to work.
Yeah, from reading threads on here it sounds like that RHD really throws a wrench into plans for upgrades🙄. It's not out yet, but Speedtech is working on a top mount for n55, I wonder if that would be more feasible for RHD? I hear you though on not wanting to take the risk, at this point I have no strong reason to doubt fitment on my car, and I'm still nervous, haha!

On that note, I'm thinking I need to just pull the trigger on this already. So much is the same as e90, if anything comes up during install I just can't see it being a show stopper that can't be worked through. I'll try to post up as much as I can, as there isn't much out there for e84 owners.

After I asked if you had an X1, I noticed your comment about swapping your n55 into an e87, sounds like a cool project! Will you start a thread if you do it?

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Nothing fits the 5 series. there's a AC line in the way. Also, a motor mount right where the turbo would normally sit in a bottom mount setup. As for the X1 from what i know its identical to the 1 series. Their shouldn't be an issue, but a smart thing to do would be to get under there and look for differences between a 335xi and a x1 xdrive.

CalvinNismo

Corporal
Nov 1, 2020
Yeah, from reading threads on here it sounds like that RHD really throws a wrench into plans for upgrades🙄. It's not out yet, but Speedtech is working on a top mount for n55, I wonder if that would be more feasible for RHD? I hear you though on not wanting to take the risk, at this point I have no strong reason to doubt fitment on my car, and I'm still nervous, haha!

Yeah, RHD certainly doesn’t help things! I saw that you mentioned the top mount kit somewhere else. I’ll keep an eye out as there are a handful of RHD N54 top mounts about, but bottom mount is preferable. I’ll probably end up with a TTE550, but the Chinese cast standard placement ones intrigue me (Kinugawa/SteamSpeed/Vargas). The N54 guys seem to have a good time with the ‘China turbos’, there’s not much information on the N55 ones though.

After I asked if you had an X1, I noticed your comment about swapping your n55 into an e87, sounds like a cool project! Will you start a thread if you do it?

Yeah! I’ll start a thread on here when things get moving on the build properly. I’ve got the E87, I’m still buying parts as I’ll do most of the upgrades at once. Or at least that’s the plan!

On that note, I'm thinking I need to just pull the trigger on this already. So much is the same as e90, if anything comes up during install I just can't see it being a show stopper that can't be worked through. I'll try to post up as much as I can, as there isn't much out there for e84 owners.

I hope you go for it! An EFR in an X1 would be awesome!