Sound advice - 335xi

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
So I'm likely trading in my '08 E92 335xi coupe with a whopping 161k miles this week. I've been hesitant to pursue any performance gains in that vehicle due to the mileage alone. But there's an '08 E90 335xi sedan with 92k miles in my price range at a very good BMW dealership here that I'll try to swap for this week. I know carfax can't tell me everything about the vehicle, but I'm hoping I can get some input from the folks around here based on what's in it. I want to list the items that have been replaced and anything else that stands out.

OCT 2012, 56.6k miles, Water pump replaced
JUL 2013, 64.0k miles, Cup holder replace, Window switch replaced
MAR 2014, 69.1k miles, Battery cable(s) replaced
MAR 2014, 69.5k miles, Battery replaced
AUG 2015, 79.5k miles, Service contract claim through United Car Care, Inc. (I've sent a message for details, will update with response)

"Recommended maintenance performed" only listed at 15.8k and 28.7k miles, though I'm not sure what that REALLY means.

I did notice one spot on the trunk that looks like maybe somebody backed it into a parking sign (very minimal cosmetic damage, dent to the lip of the trunk) and had it repaired, 8/10 on the repair quality. Dealer claimed he hadn't noticed it. Until I hear back from that United Car Care place, I'm thinking that's what the service contract claim was about.

I plan to ask if they have records (the same dealership serviced the vehicle a lot of the past 6 years) about recently replacing/servicing the engine air filter, coolant, power steering fluid, differential oil, AWD transfer cases, spark plugs, and auto trans fluid & filter. If not, how much of that they can throw in for me. These are based off of the "Old School Maintenance schedule" document. I just did some of this service myself on my coupe, as well as one of those hard to reach pre-cat 02 sensors, not interested in doing any of it again so soon.

So, anything you think I'm missing? Anything specific I should look at or ask about? I appreciate the comments, and am excited to stay in the N54 crowd!

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Well your spark plugs, coils, injectors, and fuel pump probably wouldn't be long for this world once you turn the boost up, but that's not on them.

Nothing stands out as bad news based on that.

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
Well United Car Care got back to me. Thermostat, OFHG, trans ceiling sleeve, and trans pan gasket were replaced, so that just sounds like typical N54 stuff and regular replacements to me. And yeah, that makes sense.

Reactions: Jeffman

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Well United Car Care got back to me. Thermostat, OFHG, trans ceiling sleeve, and trans pan gasket were replaced, so that just sounds like typical N54 stuff and regular replacements to me. And yeah, that makes sense.
Trans pan gasket is built into the pan, as well as the filter, so it sounds like you got a full trans service, filter, fluids, mech valve sleeve. Thats good news.

Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Looks complete. I still have my 08 335xi 6AT (only 64K miles) and I echo all of the above - the amount of repairs look reasonably fine to me. I’d like to see all of the fluids changed regularly as you mentioned. Check brakes (rotors and pads) too. And of course it will likely need a walnut blasting of the intake. Assuming it hasn’t been modded it’s probably a good deal. Ask the dealer to throw in a 1 year warranty.

Reactions: Cheezy