Datalog Something is going on with my N54

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
Hey All!

Just gonna see if I can seek some help in finding out what's going on?

For the past 6 months now, my (07 335i e90) has been running like complete utter crap... I've done all these mods to see if it fixes anything, but nothing has so far. The mods are

Mods
VRSF Downpipe (Version 2)
VRSF 7.5" Race Intercooler
VRSF Dualcone Intakes
Cobb Charge Pipe
All vacuum lines replaced a month ago
MHD Stage 2+ V10 98 Octane
xHP Stage 3 (Line bump enabled)
New Spark Plugs
New Coils
LPFP Replaced

Log - https://datazap.me/u/rabbitolychee/...g=0&data=3-4-6-8-9-11-12-13-15-16-17-18-19-20

The car seems to struggle to get to redline and feels like the engine shakes a lot as it's climbing the rev range and you don't feel much torque in your chest doesn't feel like its accelerating fast as well... I'm not sure what's going on, I do notice startup it feels like misfiring but no codes?!?

Hoping to have someone have a glace to see if you notice something odd in the logs :) Cheers

Only (Shadow Codes) I get are -
29F4 - DME: Catalytic-converter conversion (Very common)
29F5 - DME: Catalytic-converter conversion 2 (Very common)
2AAF -DME: Fuel pump, plausibility (Barely EVER comes up, 1st time in 2 months)
2FDB Fuel high pressure nach Freigabe der Einspritzung (Common)

But no active codes but I think something isn't right if shadow codes like that come up once in a while

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
Looks like timing corrections from what I can see in the logs. What fuel are you running? What plugs are in the car? Have you tried flashing a lower octane map?

You could see better insights by logging timing correction values also.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
Looks like timing corrections from what I can see in the logs. What fuel are you running? What plugs are in the car? Have you tried flashing a lower octane map?

You could see better insights by logging timing correction values also.
Hey Cruizinmax,

Yeah, I was a bit interested on the timing too but didn't know too much about the values..

I've been running BP 98 RON/93 Octane for 2 months now and I know another buddy of mine goes to the same station and he doesn't have timing issues.. I have ran a 95 RON/ 91 Octane map but didn't see any different nor feel any difference... Because MHD has map switch for the maps, I flip between the octanes and they both have no differences

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
When were the intake valves cleaned last?
Hey carabuser,

I've actually never cleaned them. I've actually got a bit of a back story about this car.

Pretty much 2 weeks after owning the 335i, it was in perfectly working order so I decided to do what anyone would do and load a stage 1 map from MHD on it, but I end up doing that and having pops n bangs on hard for months and over time the car just got slower and had more issues till one day it just would barely move.

The reason for it to barely move is that the cats were actually destroyed causing it to block exhaust flow and at the time, I didn't know what to do so I kept driving it like that when both cats were blocked, so I then replaced them but ever since then, it's never had the power and torque it had previously.

But starting to wonder, it does have fully worn out engine mounts and thinking if that is causing performance issues such as pipes being moved under load and causing leaks? Because the log says I'm making correct boost yet I hear a screaming boost leak.. So I don't know why MHD is lying about it

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Doesn't look like a boost leak to me.

You have negative trims so engine is getting less air than expected or the injectors are leaking. It looks the same on both banks so that's why I suggested intake valves.

Intake valves need cleaning every 50k. On an engine with 100k that's never been cleaned they will be really restrictive. That would cause negative trims, lacking power and timing corrections.

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023

You have negative trims so engine is getting less air than expected or the injectors are leaking. It looks the same on both banks so that's why I suggested intake valves.

Intake valves need cleaning every 50k. On an engine with 100k that's never been cleaned they will be really restrictive. That would cause negative trims, lacking power and timing corrections.
Ah okay, I will 100% look into that.. Is there a way to inspect them visually? I've got a tiny camera for this type of stuff, just wondering if there's an entry point I can inspect the intake valves if they are blocked?

It's been a long dreaded issue for a long time so it could possibly be intake valves like you said... 🤔

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023

Another weird thing I don't understand either is, MHD says I'm making 700+ nm of torque but it deadset feels like stock, it doesn't spin 2nd gear at all at WOT with TC off, would bad intake valves cause it to say 700nm torque but it's actually not? I've just never understood that

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Ah okay, I will 100% look into that.. Is there a way to inspect them visually? I've got a tiny camera for this type of stuff, just wondering if there's an entry point I can inspect the intake valves if they are blocked?

It's been a long dreaded issue for a long time so it could possibly be intake valves like you said... 🤔
I tried using a scope camera through the throttle opening but it was a real pain and my camera kept getting oil on the lens. Easier to just take the manifold off and take a look, and then at that point it's probably best to just do the job itself as that's a large part of the work done to get to that point.

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
I tried using a scope camera through the throttle opening but it was a real pain and my camera kept getting oil on the lens. Easier to just take the manifold off and take a look, and then at that point it's probably best to just do the job itself as that's a large part of the work done to get to that point.
Yep gonna do it tomorrow. To give some perspective of how bad the power is, I'm using my old stock charge pipe (Not broken) and running stage 2+ it's not blowing off or breaking, something definitely tells me something is seriously up and after doing my own research of you saying it being intake valves, I'm actually 100% thinking it really is that...

Gonna jack up the car first thing tomorrow morning and check it out, I'll keep you posted

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Another weird thing I don't understand either is, MHD says I'm making 700+ nm of torque but it deadset feels like stock, it doesn't spin 2nd gear at all at WOT with TC off, would bad intake valves cause it to say 700nm torque but it's actually not? I've just never understood that
I think MHD reads the internal engine torque which isn't the same as wheel torque. Some older version of the OTS maps report false torque values.

There isn't just 1 modelled torque value in the DME, the one MHD chooses is probably the least useful and representative. It's also probably skewed in your scenario because it won't be accounting for timing corrections and will be based off ideal airflow and not your actual airflow.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Yep gonna do it tomorrow. To give some perspective of how bad the power is, I'm using my old stock charge pipe (Not broken) and running stage 2+ it's not blowing off or breaking, something definitely tells me something is seriously up and after doing my own research of you saying it being intake valves, I'm actually 100% thinking it really is that...

Gonna jack up the car first thing tomorrow morning and check it out, I'll keep you posted
The chargepipe thing is a bit over-hyped. The 335i one is a bit flimsy compared to the Z4 one but my stock 335i one held up fine for a year running stock turbos at 20PSI peak, even then it didn't fail, I just got a good deal on an aluminium one.

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
The chargepipe thing is a bit over-hyped. The 335i one is a bit flimsy compared to the Z4 one but my stock 335i one held up fine for a year running stock turbos at 20PSI peak, even then it didn't fail, I just got a good deal on an aluminium one.
Ahhhh gotcha, because I've always just wondered why it shows that high torque figure when it doesn't even feel close to the figure it's reading out 😂 But there you go, thanks for the info!

Oh okay, that's fair, you just hear everyone saying "It blows off with stage 1" and I'm thinking, whaat?? I'm on stage 2+ and it's not blowing off 😂 But there you go, you had success with the stock one haha, cheers man, I really do appreciate you help, once again, I will 100% keep you updated as I'm super interested to see if it is the intake valves that are gunked up.

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
Hey carabuser,

I've actually never cleaned them. I've actually got a bit of a back story about this car.

Pretty much 2 weeks after owning the 335i, it was in perfectly working order so I decided to do what anyone would do and load a stage 1 map from MHD on it, but I end up doing that and having pops n bangs on hard for months and over time the car just got slower and had more issues till one day it just would barely move.

The reason for it to barely move is that the cats were actually destroyed causing it to block exhaust flow and at the time, I didn't know what to do so I kept driving it like that when both cats were blocked, so I then replaced them but ever since then, it's never had the power and torque it had previously.

But starting to wonder, it does have fully worn out engine mounts and thinking if that is causing performance issues such as pipes being moved under load and causing leaks? Because the log says I'm making correct boost yet I hear a screaming boost leak.. So I don't know why MHD is lying about it
Are you saying you replaced the secondary cats or are they still there? If you just replaced the primary cats with catless downpipes, the secondary cats could be clogged also from pieces of the primary cats. Excess exhaust back pressure could cause timing corrections as well.

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
Are you saying you replaced the secondary cats or are they still there? If you just replaced the primary cats with catless downpipes, the secondary cats could be clogged also from pieces of the primary cats. Excess exhaust back pressure could cause timing corrections as well.
Nah I replaced the secondary's at the same time of getting the catless downpipes which did free up a lot of performance..

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
Alright, well. Is this bad or what 😐

I think this may be the issue of the performance being so bad... What do you think lol
image13.jpeg
image12.jpeg
image10.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image5.jpeg

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I expected worse, they need cleaning but i'm not sure that's enough to cause the issue.

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
I expected worse, they need cleaning but i'm not sure that's enough to cause the issue.
Oh damn really? Wonder what else can be causing issues with airflow etc then... Is there anything else to check?

I do notice I have a fair bit of wastegate rattle and when I slowly build boost on purpose, I can hear a lot of turbo whine sound? In case that alarms anything

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
I think I'm just at the end of trying to fix this... I've tried everything

injectors - Checked, replaced
plugs - Checked, replaced
coils - Checked, replaced
vacuum lines - Checked, replaced
boost leak - Checked, no leaks
lpfp - Checked, replaced
hpfp - Checked, replaced
tried different tune stages - Done, no difference
tried different fuel maps - Done, no difference
boost solenoids - Replaced, no difference

Haven't checked or replaced
Valve cover - checked, not replaced
Intake valves - checked, not cleaned
vanos - haven't checked, not replaced

There is secondary cats that I haven't checked yet but when I got them welded on because of a previous issue, the welds are seriously bad, so wondering if that is causing anything or if the shitty cats are just bad?