So im clear: a single walbro 535lph (295) pump w/o a check valve is fine for our cars on startup?

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
Hi all - 2008 535i E60

My LPFP is crashing so time for an upgrade. Precision Race works sells a unit for my car using the newest F90000295 (535 lph) fuel pump.

I understand this pump is an amazing performer (as per PFS, the 450 pump isnt even an upgrade on the 5 series cars since stock is so strong), but I am concerned about long startup times since the 295 doesnt run a check valve.

Can anyone confirm that on a 5 series, the 295 pump is a good choice?

NOTE: the 5 series pumps seem considerably different than those from 3 and 1 series so Im struggling to find reviews. PR is the only company that even lists an option with this on a 5 series

Attachments

• PR FP.png
    PR FP.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 98

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
i have a 450 in my car and its struggling, the 535 should be a perfect upgrade.
Do you have any concerns that the pump will cause startup issues? Im unfamiliar with how sensitive our cars are to pumps without check valves

Silent11

Corporal
Oct 31, 2018
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
mine starts up fine even sitting for a week or two. I had the same concerns but i dont see any difference from the other upgraded pumps with a check valve

Reactions: TheObjectivist

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
mine starts up fine even sitting for a week or two. I had the same concerns but i dont see any difference from the other upgraded pumps with a check valve
Wow. Everything with your 295 install works as if stock ? e.g, you open the door, whirr of fuel pump, you then push the starter and it fires right up?

I just heard from precision raceworks and theyre saying it will work without startup issues too, so its like half of users indicate its a long start and the other half say its fine

I assume youve a 3 series?

Silent11

Corporal
Oct 31, 2018
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
Wow. Everything with your 295 install works as if stock ? e.g, you open the door, whirr of fuel pump, you then push the starter and it fires right up?

I just heard from precision raceworks and theyre saying it will work without startup issues too, so its like half of users indicate its a long start and the other half say its fine

335i here, no issues with starting. I have other issues with fueling currently but i had same issues with a 525 so its not the new pump that is causing it. All good with startup.

Reactions: TheObjectivist

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I run a pair of 535s. There is virtually no delay on startup. Pressure drops to 0 as soon as the car is off with my setup (external fpr and filter and return line).

The HPFP rail will hold pressure for some time, and even when sitting for a while, it still starts quickly.

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
Great. def seems the 295 pump is the way to go

Only concerns now:
1. does PR engineer their pumps well enough where the pump doesnt outflow the bucket (i saw a vid showing how some vendors dont know what theyre doing lol)
2. will my EKP be able to keep up

Ill order now and hope for the best

thanks all

TheObjectivist

Private
Jul 12, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 535i
One can always run an external fuelabs filter with check valve ... E85 safe version if necessary ... and remove then HPFP filter.
Would an external check valve incur an amperage penalty?

From what I read, the 295 uses nearly the same power as a 450 (+1 amp) whilst outflowing it. Many posts attribute that to the missing check valve. Maybe if the valve is external its not a restriction?

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
e89 z4 35i, Mk7.5 Gti, 02 Wrx
On my car (E89) it makes a stark difference whether or not I put it in accessory mode vs just attempting to start it off rip which is why I made that suggestion. I legit have to prime the Z before cranking it or it sounds terrible once it fires up.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
On my car (E89) it makes a stark difference whether or not I put it in accessory mode vs just attempting to start it off rip which is why I made that suggestion. I legit have to prime the Z before cranking it or it sounds terrible once it fires up.
Why is this? I can't come up with a reason. When you unlock or open your door, do you hear the pump priming?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Would an external check valve incur an amperage penalty?

From what I read, the 295 uses nearly the same power as a 450 (+1 amp) whilst outflowing it. Many posts attribute that to the missing check valve. Maybe if the valve is external its not a restriction?
Check the graph out here:

As or check valve - I think it is a function of how/where the valve is in the pump itself. I don't believe the external valve has the same kind of restriction. Good question, though - this should get nailed down.

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
I've started the car up with the lpfp completely disconnected and it started right up, no delay. I obviously can't say if that's always going to be the case since I've only done it a few times in my career.

Other platforms most definitely are effected by not holding residual pressure but on this one, maybe not so much.

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
e89 z4 35i, Mk7.5 Gti, 02 Wrx
Why is this? I can't come up with a reason. When you unlock or open your door, do you hear the pump priming?

I am not entirely certain, but this is the way it has been since the day I upgraded to the 535lph pump. Doesn't seem to have any other adverse effects and does the job as far as I can tell. 2 going on 3 years strong.

Reactions: fmorelli