Slight clunk in powertrain…is it the universal joints or centre shaft support bearing ?

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Noticed a slight clunk when transiting from power off to power on , especially on the twisties…

63k miles, recent Quaife rebuild diff…so wondered if the prop shaft was getting tired?

No vibrations noted….DCT oil changed with no evidence of abuse..

Thoughts pls?

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Thank you…advice seems to suggest replacing the centre support bearing at the same time for good measure?

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
e89 z4 35i, Mk7.5 Gti, 02 Wrx
Def sounds like a guibo, replaced mine late last year and your description sounds spot on to what I was experiencing.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Yeah your clunk sounds like my buddies and replacing the guibo fixed it.

DO NOT buy the aluminum/solid revshift guibo. I have read nothing but issues about it.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Yeah your clunk sounds like my buddies and replacing the guibo fixed it.

DO NOT buy the aluminum/solid revshift guibo. I have read nothing but issues about it.
Thank you..I'm drawn to the Meyle HD version..anyone tried that..I'm quite taken with Meyle HD versions of BMW parts, seem better engineered..based on their tie rods anyway?

I'm planning to replace the centre bearing while I'm there..

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Thank you..I'm drawn to the Meyle HD version..anyone tried that..I'm quite taken with Meyle HD versions of BMW parts, seem better engineered..based on their tie rods anyway?

I'm planning to replace the centre bearing while I'm there..

Avoid that brand like the plague. Bad coatings and their ball joints just don't hold up. Maybe a rubber disk will be fine... I'd rather not do the job twice.

Lemforder, Febi, Rein, Corteco generally what I go for in effectively that order.