single turbo th400 e82 drag build (RHD)

nasty54

Private
Sep 25, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Bone stock 2009 135i e82
Alright so update-

I just realised I somehow ordered a front sway bar instead of a rear sway bar. Idiot.
So waiting on that to come in then subframe will be going back on and the shop will be test fitting the th400 so we can get a drive shaft made up to suit.

Spoke to Aaron at spool and we are ditching the entire fuel system and going to a surge tank set and I think I’ll get a jb4 for port injection and boost control until we go to a stand alone ecu.

Ghassan now is offering a plug and play fuel tech which looks to be around 8k aud which sounds great. Pitty this car has made me broke enough already 😂

Attached are some photos of the fuel system details. Came to $5600 aud after import taxes, chasing $5000 AUD will ship aus wide if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 549E107D-A8D2-469D-B41B-37355D5EBE35.png
    549E107D-A8D2-469D-B41B-37355D5EBE35.png
    324.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 2CC5DF3E-23B1-461A-A6D1-C579308ABDE1.jpeg
    2CC5DF3E-23B1-461A-A6D1-C579308ABDE1.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 31
  • 69B5D1D5-A610-4A42-A233-57C1077795FA.png
    69B5D1D5-A610-4A42-A233-57C1077795FA.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 36

nasty54

Private
Sep 25, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Bone stock 2009 135i e82
Doing some deeper diving into the fuel system im going to run and trying to take into consideration future mods and plans so the fuel system is either a 1 and done or easily modified to add extra flow when needed.

Due to high compression ratio of stock motor and a generally hot environment in Western Australia I’m going to atleast be experimenting with methanol as fuel for the race track tune ups. Ghassan is supposedly actually running slightly higher compression than stock and having a lot of success running m5 as fuel. I guess compression is a good answer to average head flow in terms of making power as long as you have the fuel type to support it.

Unfortunately m5 isn’t legal in Andra as far as I know, nor is it in my budget but regular methanol is.

I’m leaning towards a surge tank to suit triple walbro 525s and just running as a 2 pump set up for now as that will flow around 1100whp of methanol @55psi of fuel pressure so will be plenty for for the 700ish I’ll be chasing on the stock motor. Then we can easily add a third pump in when try maxing out the turbo or going to a bigger one.

As for lines thinking -10 or -12 feed lines and then a size smaller for return.

- turbosmart FPR2000 fuel pressure reg

-Bosch 980cc injectors for the port injection

- probably jb4 for Pi and boost control might go with reflex. if anyone knows pros and cons of each that would be appreciated

nasty54

Private
Sep 25, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Bone stock 2009 135i e82
On
Doing some deeper diving into the fuel system im going to run and trying to take into consideration future mods and plans so the fuel system is either a 1 and done or easily modified to add extra flow when needed.

Due to high compression ratio of stock motor and a generally hot environment in Western Australia I’m going to atleast be experimenting with methanol as fuel for the race track tune ups. Ghassan is supposedly actually running slightly higher compression than stock and having a lot of success running m5 as fuel. I guess compression is a good answer to average head flow in terms of making power as long as you have the fuel type to support it.

Unfortunately m5 isn’t legal in Andra as far as I know, nor is it in my budget but regular methanol is.

I’m leaning towards a surge tank to suit triple walbro 525s and just running as a 2 pump set up for now as that will flow around 1100whp of methanol @55psi of fuel pressure so will be plenty for for the 700ish I’ll be chasing on the stock motor. Then we can easily add a third pump in when try maxing out the turbo or going to a bigger one.

- probably jb4 for Pi and boost control might go with reflex. if anyone knows pros and cons of each that would be appreciated
second thoughts 980cc PI injectors maybe too small for the methanol. Maybe 1650s or 2000s might be better.

I’ve heard mixed things about the Bosch 2000cc injector. Arren wasn’t a fan but I’ve also heard from others that they have been improved and are good Now. They are cheaper than the 1650s by the looks too… anyone have any input on this?

nasty54

Private
Sep 25, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Bone stock 2009 135i e82
On

second thoughts 980cc PI injectors maybe too small for the methanol. Maybe 1650s or 2000s might be better.

I’ve heard mixed things about the Bosch 2000cc injector. Arren wasn’t a fan but I’ve also heard from others that they have been improved and are good Now. They are cheaper than the 1650s by the looks too… anyone have any input on this?
Guessing the 2000s would be okay as from what I know they are just a paint to get the idle but I’m guessing the DI would take complete fuel supply for idle and the port injection would only be required for higher rpm so this would negate the issue of a rough idle on the 2000s?

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Ive decided to go with an emtron due to more flexibility and more logging flexibility with more inputs and outputs.

HPA guys do a good podcast called "Tuned In", Episode 5 is with Scott Kuhner founder of Emtron.
I think a lot people with stand alones at some point find themselves wishing they had more inputs/outputs. You have all this flexibility and ideas and all of a sudden run out ways of doing it. Seems like that was a specific thing he targeted for their ecu's and good on him.

Reactions: nasty54

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i

Id either just do a reflex and mhd or do a full jb4 setup with there pi controller . Just to much going on if your gonna try to use both of them

Reactions: SlowE93

nasty54

Private
Sep 25, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Bone stock 2009 135i e82
Id either just do a reflex and mhd or do a full jb4 setup with there pi controller . Just to much going on if your gonna try to use both of them

Yeah plan was to use one or the other along with MHD as don’t want to spend too much on tuning the stock ecu as would rather put that money towards and stand alone.

Just wondering what people think pros and cons are for jb4 for port and control with an MHD flash or the reflex for port and boost control and MHD flash

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Yeah plan was to use one or the other along with MHD as don’t want to spend too much on tuning the stock ecu as would rather put that money towards and stand alone.

Just wondering what people think pros and cons are for jb4 for port and control with an MHD flash or the reflex for port and boost control and MHD flash
I've set up cars with jb4 and a jb4 pi controller and mhd cars with a reflex plus both work well jb4 is easy because you input your settings into the jb4 and there's no separate flashing

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
I've set up cars with jb4 and a jb4 pi controller and mhd cars with a reflex plus both work well jb4 is easy because you input your settings into the jb4 and there's no separate flashing
And the JB4 can trigger extra fuel pumps. Can also set up boost curve, adjust fuel trims, anti lag, 2 step,etc....since he said he wanted to save money on tuning for syvecs. With JB4 he can make the most use of stock ecu until he gets syvecs standalone.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
And the JB4 can trigger extra fuel pumps. Can also set up boost curve, adjust fuel trims, anti lag, 2 step,etc....since he said he wanted to save money on tuning for syvecs. With JB4 he can make the most use of stock ecu until he gets syvecs standalone.
Yeah I've got a jb4 on my personal car the rolling anti lag is pretty badass

Reactions: Torgus and SlowE93

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
How Do you get it to trigger your secondary ? I run mine on a hobbs but would prefer if jb4 controlled it

nasty54

Private
Sep 25, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Bone stock 2009 135i e82
Leaning towards a fuel tech atm for ECU

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Some injectors are not too compatible with methanol, you’ll need to dive in to that along with the all the other components. The factory DI’s can probably handle some amount of methanol but I don’t know about 100% and you probably won’t find anyone who has experience with the HPFP living with it to give you comfort there.

I would run the smallest injector I needed, which brings about many compromises with your future plans. I don’t know anything about reflex, but I would hope you could ramp in the PI at a MAP and RPM of your choosing. This being possible still doesn’t remove all the issues with injectors that are too big. There is a balancing act between ramping them in gently and getting past their non-linear characterisation curve. Leaving DI to clean everything up is still an event that happens after the fact so phasing in big injectors without an integrated ecu is not ideal.

I don’t think it’s worth learning these lessons in round one, you might end up with a perpetual garage / workshop ornament. Which is always a high risk with an n54 to start with. One alternative I would consider is leaving the fuel system similar to factory for now and get a good direct port meth/water system from aquamist. You can then run 98 or 98 with about E20 for instance and water/meth direct port and it’s the least fking around and hassle getting everything to integrate on the fuelling side. Then you can be at the track the earliest enjoying the car and solving all other inevitable issues that will come up. If you later decide to go stand alone and purpose built methanol car all of the decisions are a lot easier because you have a clear objective at that point.

I have a jb4 in my garage somewhere you can have for a slab of beer, ½ price rrp, or whatever you feel like donating from one money pit to another. I might have a blue tooth adapter as well and some other sh8t I don’t need.

• Wow

nasty54

Private
Sep 25, 2021
Perth, Western Australia
Ride
Bone stock 2009 135i e82
Some injectors are not too compatible with methanol, you’ll need to dive in to that along with the all the other components. The factory DI’s can probably handle some amount of methanol but I don’t know about 100% and you probably won’t find anyone who has experience with the HPFP living with it to give you comfort there.

I would run the smallest injector I needed, which brings about many compromises with your future plans. I don’t know anything about reflex, but I would hope you could ramp in the PI at a MAP and RPM of your choosing. This being possible still doesn’t remove all the issues with injectors that are too big. There is a balancing act between ramping them in gently and getting past their non-linear characterisation curve. Leaving DI to clean everything up is still an event that happens after the fact so phasing in big injectors without an integrated ecu is not ideal.

I don’t think it’s worth learning these lessons in round one, you might end up with a perpetual garage / workshop ornament. Which is always a high risk with an n54 to start with. One alternative I would consider is leaving the fuel system similar to factory for now and get a good direct port meth/water system from aquamist. You can then run 98 or 98 with about E20 for instance and water/meth direct port and it’s the least fking around and hassle getting everything to integrate on the fuelling side. Then you can be at the track the earliest enjoying the car and solving all other inevitable issues that will come up. If you later decide to go stand alone and purpose built methanol car all of the decisions are a lot easier because you have a clear objective at that point.

I have a jb4 in my garage somewhere you can have for a slab of beer, ½ price rrp, or whatever you feel like donating from one money pit to another. I might have a blue tooth adapter as well and some other sh8t I don’t need.

This is a designated drag car that happened to just be road registered (atleast until to police tell me it’s not anymore 😂) Methanol will only be ran at instanced while we are pushing things down at the track and will then be flushed out with e85 so it’s not left sitting and e85 will be ran at all other instances.

I think straight methanol with the 10.2 to 1 compression should work really well allowing timing to be turned up a bit along with the massive charge cooling (I could probably even delete the Intercooler if I was running meth only which is common practice) which will be a benefit in out heat.

I don’t want to be spending money going doing multiple renditions of fuel systems or any systems, the whole idea with the build is do it once, do it right. Hence a 13ish grand trans (cost me 11 in the end) that’s rated for 1500hp when I probably could have got a 8-9k trans that would have worked fine for now.

The fuel system I have planned out is all 100% methanol safe with only unknowns being HPFP and index 12s but both should be fine if flushed properly after and not used for extended periods of time like daily driving on meth.

I bought this car for it to be a drag car, partially for self preservation of my licence but also because I wanted something different, a little crazy and extremely raw. This car is being built to go fast and nothing else, I knew I’d run the risk of it sitting for extended periods with a hectic built like this as I am in some what uncharted territory but that is also one thing I like about the build. I did purposely build the driveline first and not the motor though so that If worst comes to worse I have a rolling shell that we can always swap a proven power plant into and go fast.

I’d be very keen on that JB4 mate. What ever payment methods suits you. I do have a 27mm white line front sway bar that I ordered instead of a rear and a front sway bar is just extra weight as far as a drag car is concerned so I’ll be deleting mine. If you were interested in that along with a set of spare d-bushes then I’d be happy to swap that if not fine with whatever $$ value suits you or your drink of choice.