Single Turbo peeps... what O2 sensors?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Old bosch sensors with 80k miles on them got cooked in one night of tuning pulls LOL

Please chime in with your experience with either sensor and where to get them, any tune changes required, etc etc. Thanks!

blisstik

Corporal
Mar 27, 2018
Ride
E92 MOTIV750 (Sold)
ADV - Chris @ Motiv can integrate the calibration in your map. It's more advanced than the MHD tick box.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Sounds like the O2 placement is too close to the head. Ideally you want then to run around 750c. What's your lambda target and what fuel are you running? You can try richening the mixture to reduce exhaust temperature.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Twinz

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Another question is, are the adv sensors, kit dependent? Like wont work with a certain brand due to placement on manifold? I heard that. Would like to know if thats the case with docrace manifolds as well for them. Id look into that also.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Another question is, are the adv sensors, kit dependent? Like wont work with a certain brand due to placement on manifold? I heard that. Would like to know if thats the case with docrace manifolds as well for them. Id look into that also.
Regular LSU 4.9 recommended operating range is below 930c. ADV LSU 4.9 is below 980c for the pre-turbo version. No need to alter placement just because you're switching to the ADV, unless of course you're burning through O2s, then the exhaust temperature is too hot and it needs moved back.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Sounds like the O2 placement is too close to the head. Ideally you want then to run around 750c. What's your lambda target and what fuel are you running? You can try richening the mixture to reduce exhaust temperature.

Has nothing to do with heat...it is positive pressure environments blowing the internals apart. They were designed to be in a 0psi post turbo environment. Putting them pre-turbo in the manifold is the killer because of exhaust pressure. Bosch released a 7 page (yea, engineers are wordy) analysis of the issue and subsequently designed the ADV sensors to remedy the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Has nothing to do with heat...it is positive pressure environments blowing the internals apart. They were designed to be in a 0psi post turbo environment. Putting them pre-turbo in the manifold is the killer because of exhaust pressure. Bosch released a 7 page (yea, engineers are wordy) analysis of the issue and subsequently designed the ADV sensors to remedy the problem.
I'd like to see that analysis if you can find it. The single turbo kits move the O2 sensors to being pre-turbo instead of post-turbo, that is conducive to higher temperatures and higher temperature fluctuations. Often the temperature differential can be a couple hundred degrees between post and pre-turbo. Post-turbo exhaust temperatures are much more stable than pre-turbo, so pre-turbo can lead to thermal shock. I have a decent amount of experience with the LSU 4.9 but they're not recommended to be installed pre-turbo. Whether or not temperature or pressure is killing them quickly in single turbo setups I do not know. The upgraded twin guys don't seem to burn through them as quickly though so that leads me to believe temperature is the cause of failure

Last edited:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I'd like to see that analysis if you can find it. The single turbo kits move the O2 sensors to being pre-turbo instead of post-turbo, that is conducive to higher temperatures and higher temperature fluctuations. Often the temperature differential can be a couple hundred degrees between post and pre-turbo. Post-turbo exhaust temperatures are much more stable than pre-turbo, so pre-turbo can lead to thermal shock. I have a decent amount of experience with the LSU 4.9 but they're not recommended to be installed pre-turbo. Whether or not temperature or pressure is killing them quickly in single turbo setups I do not know. The upgraded twin guys don't seem to burn through them as quickly though so that leads me to believe temperature is the cause of failure
The ADV sensors were specifically designed to be placed pre turbo. Twin guys don't need to run the ADV sensors, and I haven't heard of anyone going through ADV sensors. They're basically a mandatory item when going single.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
The ADV sensors were specifically designed to be placed pre turbo. Twin guys don't need to run the ADV sensors, and I haven't heard of anyone going through ADV sensors. They're basically a mandatory item when going single.
Agreed, however the pressure rating for both the regular LSU 4.9 and the ADV is the same <= 2.5 bar. So the claim that pressure is the cause of the failures really doesn't make sense to me, I believe the actual failure mode is thermal shock. Cheers

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Seems like I'll be playing devil's advocate here as all reviews seem to be positive, but the ADV sensors did not work from the jump on my IJE0S single turbo build -- and others have reported the same issues I was having. I spent 1,000 miles pulling out my hair after investing $7500 in single turbo parts trying to get these sensors to work. During off throttle conditions, my trims would get stuck in open loop fueling, and eventually cause a SES light and drivability issues until I cleared the code. I worked with Chris trying multiple tunes before I finally gave up and swapped in NTK sensors like Payam suggested.

The NTK sensors alone immediately solved all my issues now have close to 10,000 miles and 4 months on them with zero issues.

Not to say that the ADV sensors don't work, because the majority of people use them successfully, but there are multiple cases of them not working and causing trim control codes + open loop fueling.

Reactions: Lifestyler

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Seems like I'll be playing devil's advocate here as all reviews seem to be positive, but the ADV sensors did not work from the jump on my IJE0S single turbo build -- and others have reported the same issues I was having. I spent 1,000 miles pulling out my hair after investing $7500 in single turbo parts trying to get these sensors to work. During off throttle conditions, my trims would get stuck in open loop fueling, and eventually cause a SES light and drivability issues until I cleared the code. I worked with Chris trying multiple tunes before I finally gave up and swapped in NTK sensors like Payam suggested.

The NTK sensors alone immediately solved all my issues now have close to 10,000 miles and 4 months on them with zero issues.

Not to say that the ADV sensors don't work, because the majority of people use them successfully, but there are multiple cases of them not working and causing trim control codes + open loop fueling.

Any tune changes required for the NTKs? Also where did you get them

Any info is appreciated that's why I made the thread.

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Any tune changes required for the NTKs? Also where did you get them

Any info is appreciated that's why I made the thread.

No changes necessary. And no check boxes to tick. And they're half the price. The two part numbers can be seen on the box.

TDJ0jVZ.jpg

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
ADVs have been working fine for me. That being said, I would probably order a set of NTKs as well in case you run into what chadillac2000 did. You can always return them if not needed. The ADVs are the most proven on this platform currently.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I've had two single turbo cars, both with ADVs and they don't last. I think the NTKs are much better sensors. Also I had the same issues as chadillac. Also tried working with Chris (who is great to deal with) to no avail.

• Agree
Reactions: chadillac2000

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
I had an issue with mine but that's because I click the check box when I didn't need to because Chris had already put it in my tune lol