Single Turbo N54 - Passing emissions

carlos.pena

Mar 13, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Ride
2007 E90 335i
Hey everyone !

Im due for an emissions test soon and looking for some advice on how to pass properly. I have a temporary 30 day permit before they fail me :(
Here are some things that I know I need to do. Please let me know if im missing anything else
  • Take back up of stock tune via MHD ( I8AOS )
  • Modify tune in order to set catalyst to ready state - NEED HELP WITH THIS @carabuser
  • Perform drive cycle to set all monitors to ready
  • 1 monitor in AZ can be set "Not Ready"

I'm located in Phoenix AZ.

Mod List Below

Car is running a flex fuel custom tune from Wedge Performance
  • Speedtech single turbo kit w/ 6262 JB turbo
  • Phoenix racing port injection manifold
  • Motiv reflex (for port injection) and flex fuel on 750 cc injectors
  • VRSF Street exhaust ( NO CATS )
  • VRSF 7.5 intercooler
  • B58 Coils
  • Fuel it! stage 2 pump
  • VTT cast valve cover
  • Dual BMS oil catch cans
  • NTK O2 sensors
  • Index 12 injectors

One downpipe O2 has been removed. Currently being used for AEM AFR gauge. I have a spare if it need to be reinstalled

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I can certainly help out with the tune aspect, normally this is something included as part of my overall tuning service but you already have that sorted. I can't modify Ken's existing tune but I can prove a separate tune that can just be used for getting your monitors ready (for off-road use only).

What are you current readiness monitors looking like? Everything passing aside from Catalyst and O2? Or is O2 heater also incomplete?

carlos.pena

Mar 13, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Ride
2007 E90 335i
@carabuser

Catalyst: Incomplete
O2: Incomplete
O2 heater: Incomplete

Attachments

• 7012B81F-982A-4E50-9625-C4218C9A3239.png
    7012B81F-982A-4E50-9625-C4218C9A3239.png
    466.1 KB · Views: 55

notsofast.t

Mar 31, 2023
I can certainly help out with the tune aspect, normally this is something included as part of my overall tuning service but you already have that sorted. I can't modify Ken's existing tune but I can prove a separate tune that can just be used for getting your monitors ready (for off-road use only).

What are you current readiness monitors looking like? Everything passing aside from Catalyst and O2? Or is O2 heater also incomplete?
i am in great need of this as well. do you mind getting in contact with me when you have the time?

SalMoney13

Jul 31, 2023
@carlos.pena did you ever pass emissions? I have an N54 with Wedge tune (stock turbos though) and am having trouble getting those same monitors to show as ready. Was @carabuser able to help out? I would love to know how you resolved it - any advice would be greatly appreciated

Wellso17

Aug 25, 2023
Was vehicle able to pass? I’m single turbo on single bank fueling and need to figure out a way as well to pass. @carabuser , is there a way to get monitors to set with single bank fueling?

Reactions: n54praiser

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
Following this as I'm planning ahead for a ST build and also curious if there's a way to pass all the readiness tests on single bank fueling setup. @Pete FYI, similar thread.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Was vehicle able to pass? I’m single turbo on single bank fueling and need to figure out a way as well to pass. @carabuser , is there a way to get monitors to set with single bank fueling?
Yes, I can manage it with Single O2 cars.
Needs a laptop and cable at the moment, one day I will port it to mobile.

The logic that I write to the DME doesn't include the MHD single bank patch and wouldn't contain a tune so the car is just in stock mode with monitors ready. Good to drive in and out, but not a replacement for the existing tune.

I think it's the only way of passing with the single bank as the tests for O2 heater fails and the test for catalyst won't start until the O2 ones all pass.

Wellso17

Aug 25, 2023
Yes, I can manage it with Single O2 cars.
Needs a laptop and cable at the moment, one day I will port it to mobile.

The logic that I write to the DME doesn't include the MHD single bank patch and wouldn't contain a tune so the car is just in stock mode with monitors ready. Good to drive in and out, but not a replacement for the existing tune.

I think it's the only way of passing with the single bank as the tests for O2 heater fails and the test for catalyst won't start until the O2 ones all pass.
I have both a laptop with standard tools and a cable. How do you go about sending the files. Send me a message , curious about details. Thank you!

carlos.pena

Mar 13, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Ride
2007 E90 335i
@carlos.pena did you ever pass emissions? I have an N54 with Wedge tune (stock turbos though) and am having trouble getting those same monitors to show as ready. Was @carabuser able to help out? I would love to know how you resolved it - any advice would be greatly appreciated
I was not able to pass only because the emissions tests showed that the DME was tampered with even though all readiness tests were completed. They also dinged me for not having Cats. Doesn't help when they pop your hood :)

n54praiser

Lurker
Sep 6, 2022
I was not able to pass only because the emissions tests showed that the DME was tampered with even though all readiness tests were completed. They also dinged me for not having Cats. Doesn't help when they pop your hood :)
Could you elaborate on this? As far as I know the OBD test only checks if all readiness tests are complete and that's it. Or are your in California where tunes are not allowed?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Was it a failure on CVN?

Until now I've never seen mention of people actually failing on CVN. I can look at fixing this issue too.

Reactions: Darkrom

carlos.pena

Mar 13, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Ride
2007 E90 335i
Readiness monitors and CVN values can be fixed to pass now but the visual inspection will always be a possible issue.
Yeah ! So the monitors came up as ready on MHD but on their side it said "DME has been tampered with" and then they popped my hood and checked under the car. Im sure it varies by state on what actually passes