short shifter advice

web365ster

Nov 21, 2022
Hey friends, I'm in need to do my shift linkage in my '08 135i, (She feels like a sloppy hoe.) But I want to just do a short shifter kit while I'm at it. Who has done one and is happy with the results?
Thanks!

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
@Torgus still id highly recommend it. The driving experience is that much more fun with the shifter. The clicks into gear are rewarding.

It is on my list...just a shame to throw out the UUC SSK w/ DSSR which was rather pricey when I bought it. I mean I will sell it used. I just hate replacing parts twice!

Reactions: SLOWESTN54

AshwinLB

Private
Oct 7, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Ride
2010 E82 135i
+1 to RTD mini lever. Shifts are so crisp and satisfying and it eliminated play which was my main thing. I have been thinking of switching to an IRP tho since they have a better looking reverse lockout imo. I keep messing up my 3-2 downshifts by accidentally pushing too hard and going into reverse.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
+1 to RTD mini lever. Shifts are so crisp and satisfying and it eliminated play which was my main thing. I have been thinking of switching to an IRP tho since they have a better looking reverse lockout imo. I keep messing up my 3-2 downshifts by accidentally pushing too hard and going into reverse.
unfortunately these boxes dont like 3-2 or 2-1 downshifts in the first place... even with proper rev matching it still feels like you are trying to slam the stick into gear..... just shift slower for the sake of the box's durability....

you can try mix and matching transmission fluids to make it shift better especially when they are hot... but its going to feel worse when its cold
i am currently running a 1/4 75w90 and 3/4 atf mixed now, more atf, better shifts when cold, shittier shifts when hot

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt

I just want something that looks remotely stock but feels smooth and crisp without making the gates the notchiest thing known to mankind.

Dunno if it exists.