Servotronic on a 335i

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
if you are getting new tie rods then dont bother..its just hard to pull the rack out in situ without tie rods off one side at least

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
if you are getting new tie rods then dont bother..its just hard to pull the rack out in situ without tie rods off one side at least

I intended to re-use the tie rods, but if they aren't very expensive and they are a total bitch to remove without being bolted up maybe I will just buy new ones? I guess I'll just see when I actually take a look at it.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I was given this part number today as a steering rack for a 335i xdrive which had servotronic: 32106787762

Apparently are must be some factory parts for non M's?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I intended to re-use the tie rods, but if they aren't very expensive and they are a total bitch to remove without being bolted up maybe I will just buy new ones? I guess I'll just see when I actually take a look at it.

rack out, clamp it down and bust it lose... they are affordable i'd say... i didnt need replacement but i had new ones ordered anyways so might as well...

I was given this part number today as a steering rack for a 335i xdrive which had servotronic: 32106787762

Apparently are must be some factory parts for non M's?

just did a quick check on realoem... cant seem to find a servotronic harness sold seperately for a 335xi so it might be integrated into the engine harness, 335xi runs jbbf3

im still at work now... lemme check when i get home if i have time tonight... i might finish hooking up my WI...

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
its here.....i didnt want to butcher this harness but im pretty much done trying to figure out where i can get these stupid connectors....

IMG_20170402_224655.jpg

now i have to somehow plug it in and find a way to wire it....fml

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
harness is prepped...
IMG_20170406_020317.jpg

lineman spliced together with solder and double heatshrinked....

since these are relatively close to the turbo.. i bought some 2 core x 0.75 cable enclosed in silicone...

hopefully it wont melt....

Reactions: doublespaces

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
harness is prepped...
View attachment 3234

lineman spliced together with solder and double heatshrinked....

since these are relatively close to the turbo.. i bought some 2 core x 0.75 cable enclosed in silicone...

hopefully it wont melt....

found out three things today
a - the rhd plug is located at an awkward spot... it sits pretty close to the rear turbo so i will need to route the cable and zip tie it to go along the o2 harness

b - i used the wrong connector on my harness... the other side should be used instead which means i couldnt get the harness wired in today...i dont have tools to lift my car to plug it in so i had to drive to my garage to do it

c - the harness can be used as an extension cord... you can connect the plugs front to back
which means... you can buy a few of these and have it lead all the way into where the jbbf sits
IMO this would be the a good way to do it as you can unplug the other side if you need to lower your steering rack and you wont pull on anything

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Nice toes!

I got my harness in the mail and have not looked at it yet. But I'm not sure exactly what you've done. I suppose I'll wait and see :)

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
lol i couldnt get the camera steady holding with one hand so i used my feet......

there are two sides to the harness...one side is white...one side is black...
black side connects to the steering rack...
since the black side also connects to the white plug of the harness, if you order a few of these you can use it as an extension cord and wire it all the way into the junction box

i plugged in harness inside the car and routed it inside the car but i ran out of time so...if time permits i will continue on wednesday

hopefully i dont need to take the junction box out to tap the wires.........................

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
While tinkering around with the video input stuff? How do you get this working I wonder?

I looked into it a bit. So, the EPS is what would allow it to be adjusted.
These are the parameters in the EPS that should allow you to adjust
LENKWINKELKORREKTUR_EPS
REIBUNGSERKENNUNG
KREUZGELENKKOMPENSATION

This is the VO # $216

Theoretically that plus hardware would do it.

Edit: So adding $216 will then bring up the EPS module. +KEPS is also added to LCI but not certain for pre.

I don't think the very few people who have retrofitted this realize there is an adjustment menu that can be unlocked thru the CIC

Last edited:
  • Informative

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
i have an idea on how to test the pinout before actually wiring it in to the servotronics motor

there are three variants of junction boxes as per the haynes manual... obvious the pre 07/03 one doesnt work as fuse 5 is already populated but theres still hope for the 07/03-07/09 and 07/09-after

worst case i will need to fab something up with an arduino and a can shield and a pwm generator....this lets me fine tune the assist exactly to my liking...i already have parts for this from another project that got abandoned for the time being

btw RG i still havent finished hooking up your WI kit lol...after i sort this servotronic thing out im getting new tires and an alignment...then i will continue fiddling with WI and a protune......

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
btw RG i still havent finished hooking up your WI kit lol...after i sort this servotronic thing out im getting new tires and an alignment...then i will continue fiddling with WI and a protune......

I think having 2 projects in the air needing completion is the minimum owner requirement for this platform

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I think having 2 projects in the air needing completion is the minimum owner requirement for this platform
well....not good when i have more projects planned ;)

anyways i am feeling kinda sick today so i wont test it out...

so...i searched my room for the usb scope i bought two years ago but no idea where it went after testing the output on my racing sim tach....

for anyone interested... search ebay for a "saleae" clone...its selling for 8.99$

i will test it tomorrow maybe...

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
well i just tested it and...no go
junction box
IMG_20170414_121541.jpg

IMG_20170414_121600.jpg

IMG_20170414_121611.jpg

the repair wires dont fit into the x14270 plug without snipping off the part that holds the wire and rubber in place
IMG_20170414_120057.jpg

IMG_20170414_124805.jpg

the option(s) dont even exist in the jbbf trc file
i am on a 07/03-07/09 junction box with jbbf.c07 definition file
i checked another car built in 08 and it uses the same jbbf.c07 definition

i looked around in ncsdummy and the options only exist in the jbbf2 definitions

jbbfeii.c06/07 -- servotronic enable
c09/0a - servotronic enable + servo characteristic map in different modes (normal/sport)
IMG_20170414_130051.jpg

IMG_20170414_132213.jpg

IMG_20170414_132243.jpg

so....next project...arduino + seeedstudio canbus shield + motor pwm generator to control assist

i doubt i will get this done soon... the obd to com port cable needs repinning as i couldnt get any signal...

i will need the signal for vehicle speed and maybe steering angle from the car to decide on how much assist to apply
IMG_20170414_142840.jpg