Technical Review of first true meth map switch from twisted tuning

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I think im the first spoolstreet user to implement flex fuel for meth. I had talked to jayoma before flex release about this and he said was possible I was talking about putting a setup together but then I saw Justin's system he put together as he used to use aquamist but ended up helping design the new torqbyte controller and making his mc 2 unit.
He was away so at first was slow start but now he has been very responsive and the kit works perfectly. I ran 100 meth but am switching to 70 as I was told the flow sensor wont hold up. Anyway the mc2 saved me and so did the flow sensor. I had my meth line routed close to my relocated reservoir that apparently gets very hot. My meth line burst and the controller cut flow cause my amperage dropped to 3 .
I also will be updating with my install pics and how I hid the pump under floor next to my amp in trunk and ran pump power driver side and main power passenger side then through back of dash .

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I think im the first spoolstreet user to implement flex fuel for meth. I had talked to jayoma before flex release about this and he said was possible I was talking about putting a setup together but then I saw Justin's system he put together as he used to use aquamist but ended up helping design the new torqbyte controller and making his mc 2 unit.
He was away so at first was slow start but now he has been very responsive and the kit works perfectly. I ran 100 meth but am switching to 70 as I was told the flow sensor wont hold up. Anyway the mc2 saved me and so did the flow sensor. I had my meth line routed close to my relocated reservoir that apparently gets very hot. My meth line burst and the controller cut flow cause my amperage dropped to 3 .
I also will be updating with my install pics and how I hid the pump under floor next to my amp in trunk and ran pump power driver side and main power passenger side then through back of dash .

The flow sensor can't handle 100% meth and at most can handle 70% meth 30% water? They need a new flow sensor rated for 100% methanol...

What meth tank are you using? Where did you mount it?

So the line burst before the flow sensor and the voltage lowered to 3V as roughly half the fluid was flowing. When you say the controller cut flow you mean the controller turned the pump off because the flow sensor went to 3V vs. 5V? The second it cut the pump the output would then be 0V and you should be 100% on your 93 map. I guess the controller would keep the pump off until you power cycled the car? Do you know if that is accurate? I am just trying to wrap my head around it, that is all.

To interpolate between 93 and 93+meth you need 2 protunes one for each map. Do you already have those or are they a tune in progress? I'm guessing you are doing the meth protune now and then with turn meth off and do the 93 protune so you have both maps?

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
No the controller has the ability to live log so you run your meth while driving and I see that I pull roughly 5 and half amps not volts cause I run my controller at full power on pump and use the fav to meter flow. So anyway now you can enter a high and low trip value so I have set at 4 5 and 7 so if clog or blow will shut pump in 3 ms cause I have a 3ms delay set also instantly on the dme side I revert to the 93 map at the same time so my car is saved from fire and my engine is saved from pre ignition etc. Also with the flow sensor connected you would know if you ever have flow when you shouldnt. Between checkvalve and fav it's pretty slim but redundancy is always better with meth.
I also am connecting the flow sensor to the torque byte so that it knows the exact flow this isnt nec but why not. The flow sensor also made me realize two 375s flow over 1000 so I switched to a 375 and a 175.
@ torgus I'll take quick pics of my setup in 2 hrs

Reactions: Torgus and MDORPHN

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Also you really don't need 2 pro tunes it's just like doing a fuel revision so much simpler if you already have a 93 map. Imagine a e30 map with 93 map fueling. Also I mounted my tank on driver side using 2 bars screwed to plastic cover over amp and then velcro straps. Then drilled whole through the v plastic cover and mounted pump and filter to other side so that cover now holds everything and I have easy access then i pulled back trunk liner to run wires and popped out seats and door sills. Then firewall i went through the factory grommet their is spare nipple you can cut into that extends 3 inches so no water and then run power up side cause they recommend not running power wires near signal wires. I then tapped power from battery post and ignition from dme two wire orange connector with 2 posi taps one to flow sensor one to fav and mc2. And twisted flow sensor is rated for pure methanol by manufacturer but he recommends 70 percent cause his personal testing. I belive his is best cause you can set from 0 to 1000 or 0 to 2500. I wanted to stay at 100 but I think little water could be good for motor health cause helps temps alot.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Honestly I am a pain in ass customer cause my OCD but compare his hose to snow their is no contest. He includes alot of stuff torqbyte doesn't like fuse and power wire 20ft leads on a complete harness of all auto grade oxygen free copper. Torqbyte flat out says they don't include wire cause expensive but recommend the oem grade wire justin included. His connectors do not leak and are no joke. Piecing a snow stage 3 with what he includes is 900 to 1100 so for way better controller that can do alot for 700 is nuts. This controller can do boost control if you want has canbus and options for display or bluetooth plus you can control fuel pumps and can slave a 36 amp amplifier that foes factory pass through so I wonder if can control our lpfp. Obviously not worth it for just that cause only goes to 15 amp per pump without amplifier add on but if you have the meth it might be worth using factory pass through with the addon amp then you can set it to take over under boost and target whatever psi you want.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I have wire out in car cause its extra lead so I can connect extra sensor if I want I figured smarter run extra I can pull out or tuck if I dont use just cause still in design phase lol. I also left one power lead out of my wire protector that I ran to protect and I currently have the map etc out flying loose cause I want to calibrate and get exact slope so I will be tapping those leads this weekend temporarily. That is not nec as all and I read within .5 of my cars map but it's more cause OCD and I want to see how accurate my n20 sensor is as well. I tapped my tial line cause it's 4 an already I ideally would have put it at manifold but I like this location better and my knees shake every time i tighten that fitting on my plastic pos manifold so I try not to touch it. I was thinking of running an rest way through car but its thicker not as flexible and imo if properly ran not any diff except if it did fail I'll know right away when an can hide a leak cause the sheathing. In engine compartment with heat etc its diff story as I just experienced. I am going to run an to my fav I made up 1 line already but I need more straight fittings as I dont trust the 45 and 90 cause they can spin and I dont get how that seals reliably if spins.
20191011_183545.jpg
20191011_183618.jpg
20191011_183501.jpg
20191011_183505.jpg
20191011_183702.jpg
20191011_183651.jpg
20191011_183638.jpg

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
@Torgus where did u mount your tank and I am curious on using the spare tire well I know the e30 guys can get a 3 gal tank but I'm wondering if can put pump in well and maybe a thin wide tank but I know that would be custom mold. So my other thought is small 1 qt or biggest you could fit with pump etc and then keep my other tank where it is or maybe do the 7 gal. Point is I could mount a reg tank and not worry cause the other tank would be the feed/sump tank.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
My tank is tucked in the passenger corner. It's attached with 4 bolts on rubber isolators all done from below so it looks hella clean. Just a black box with a blue LED line so you can see how much meth is in the tanks. It fits perfectly and I can open up the trunk liner like normal(unlike in the picture). It has two 1 gallon tanks, the pump draws from the baffled tank, the 'filler' tank fills the baffled tank. It is a shame this tank is no longer available as it is one of the better designs and holds the pump etc. I have toyed with the idea of building and selling these as Howerton closed up shop.

This pick just shows the type of tank I have, the location is moved over into the empty space on the left as to not block opening the trunk liner:
dbmm.jpg

2 tanks with pump, relay, filter, etc:
loaded.jpg

The right tank has balls for baffling:
6o1a.jpg

2 gallons of meth lasts me long enough. 1 would be annoying 2 is about perfect. Plenty of meth for me.

7 gallons would be crazy. It only comes in 5 gallon pails!

Have you looked at any of these tanks or similiar style w/ baffles: http://www.aquamist-direct.com/water-tanks/

Check out the 10L: http://www.aquamist-direct.com/806-690s-new-10l-single-tank-with-bracket-internally-baffled-drilled/ that is basically 2 and a half gallons. Plenty of meth and I bet it would fit in that location...

Whatever you choose I would get a baffled tank:

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Did you see pic of my tank now? It's 2 and half gal but no baffle that's why I am thinking of solution. What about a hydramat lol

Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Did you see pic of my tank now? It's 2 and half gal but no baffle that's why I am thinking of solution. What about a hydramat lol

I do. It's good you have a flow sensor so if the pump starved you would be safe. As long as you keep it semi full you should be ok...but I would look for a long term solution the has a baffle. But that is just me. Other people seem to have no concern with a non baffled tank.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I do. It's good you have a flow sensor so if the pump starved you would be safe. As long as you keep it semi full you should be ok...but I would look for a long term solution the has a baffle. But that is just me. Other people seem to have no concern with a non baffled tank.
I think smartest thing for me to do Is small surge tank

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
@twistedtuning with your permission I want post a diy with pointers like don't throw out the little plastic bag with map sensor lol and basic torque tune guide so people don't make mistakes I did and also go into it with all nec parts. I think if people see comparison of what a aem or snow kit actually costs once installed and with inferior connectors and controller they will realize how worth it your kit is.