RESOLVED - Sport button not working after DCT swap

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
So I managed to complete my DCT swap and the car is driving fine with no errors. However, the sport button doesn't work and that''s just no fun at all!

I don't believe this is a wiring issue, since there are only 4 wires going to the button:
- ground
- interior lighting (58G) which works
- 2 signal wires going to the gear shift, that were already connected when I got the shifter assembly

This seems more like a programming issue, especially since it looks like the green light turns on for a split second but goes right off. I'm not really sure how to begin troubleshooting since I don't know what modules "Sport" mode depends on. DSC? DME? KOMBI?

If anybody knows what the problem could be, I'd sure appreciate some help :)

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
Congrats on the swap. Dont think ive heard of this issue before in particular. Any errors presented ?

Nope... I mean there were errors from when I was doing the swap - but none returned after clearing them and driving for a bit (also trying the button again of course :p ).

One interesting thing is that my FRM doesn't seem to have the VIN number reading correctly in INPA. It was replaced by BMW under the recall though, so I imagine it's fine. Don't see how that would break the sport button either.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Well i assume your CAS and FRM would need to have your VO and be default coded for the DCT to work (i could be wrong) so it may or may not be the issue. Im sorry im not much help here. @BMWJunkie knows more than anyone about conversions perhaps he or others can help..

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
Well i assume your CAS and FRM would need to have your VO and be default coded for the DCT to work (i could be wrong) so it may or may not be the issue. Im sorry im not much help here. @BMWJunkie knows more than anyone about conversions perhaps he or others can help..

Correct, I had to update the VO on both of those and code them during the install. And no worries, I'm grateful that anyone even wants to help lol.

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
Okay, so the ground wire that I was using for the sport button from one of the previous AT connections is somehow no longer grounded. I triple checked just to be sure... Whatever though, I just used another ground and the button works now.

Easy enough I guess :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtKurt and houtan