Recommended android apps for E89 owners?

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Besides MHD flasher, what are the android apps you have experience with and would recommend an E89 owner now in 2020? I see pro tools, bimmercode, carly and torque pro as the main ones people mention. I already tested demo versions of pro tools and bimmercode, and they both seem to work with the same phone and cable I use for MHD.

Or to ask in a different way. Would one be missing out on any capabilities by just owning pro tools and mhd?

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Alright, so I decided against the pricey bimmergeeks pro tools app, and got these two apps instead
  1. Deep OBD for BMW and VAG (free)
  2. BimmerCode (not free)

Deep OBD is basically INPA and EDIABAS on your Android smartphone. With this app I was able to
1) Get full list of codes from all ECUs, such as this one

Code:
CVM/CTM (Soft top module):
Error code: A68B
Microswitch, roof shell 2 closed, left, Common connection (or both control buttons), Short circuit to negative
Environmental conditions:
- Frequency: 4
- Mileage/km reading: 138592 km | 138592 km | 138600 km
- Outside temperature: 19 °C | 19 °C | 18 °C
- Day: 7 - | 7 - | 7 -
- Month: 2 - | 2 - | 2 -

2) Monitor new and exciting ECU channels. Some examples.

Screenshot_20200218-225826_Deep_OBD_for_BMW_and_VAG.png
Screenshot_20200218-225822_Deep_OBD_for_BMW_and_VAG.png Screenshot_20200218-230013_Deep_OBD_for_BMW_and_VAG.png Screenshot_20200218-230026_Deep_OBD_for_BMW_and_VAG.png Screenshot_20200218-230032_Deep_OBD_for_BMW_and_VAG.png

3) Create logs with said parameters. See csv file attached. Unfortunately the channels are written in coded german.

Everything worked using my MHD otg usb cable for free.

With BimmerCode, I was able to code the following options. Some of them I haven't tested yet though.
  • Air circulation setting memory: Active (oh finally)
  • Daytime running lights with Angel Eyes (not sure if works or nice, will see...)
  • Higher maximum audio volume on start up... (car is louder than stock, low volume is useless)
  • Correct battery type, 80Ah AGM (about time...)
  • Convenient closing (I rarely operate the roof with the engine off, but why not)
  • Shorter delay for convenient roof closing and opening (because it takes long enough already)
  • Higher maximum speed (30km/h) for opening and closing the roof (should be nice in case of sudden rain)
  • Windows that can be operated while opening/closing doors and after removing the key (so the passenger can freely open the door and leave while the roof is closing)
  • Turned off headlight washers, and reduced the wiper operation to one time instead of three
  • Reserve fuel warning reduced to 6.5L and no more 50km range warning. (I am fully aware that the Z4 fuel tank is super tiny, no need for annoying, and lets be honest, super scary yellow cluster warnings)
  • Double pulse hazard flasher (looks super cool I think... )
  • No more driver seat-belt and idrive warnings. (yeah I always wear the seatbelt - no need to ding me when I just got in the car)
  • Triple indicators and other minor things that I can no longer adjust in iDrive due to some coding mess a BMW workshop did
Having owned this car for so many years, I feel super excited to try out these changes.

Attachments

• Combined.csv
    14 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
i understand how handy it comes using a phone here and there. And if you prefer using the phone for coding. Fine.

But why aren´t you just using a laptop for coding? Its free and super easy. I mean even I can do it :D

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
i understand how handy it comes using a phone here and there. And if you prefer using the phone for coding. Fine.

But why aren´t you just using a laptop for coding? Its free and super easy. I mean even I can do it :D

I was led to believe that using my laptop with the cable might lock it, and make it unusable for mhd. I think it was ista that locked my friends cable at one point, and I helped him buy a new obd cable. And frankly the app costs less than one fill up at the gas station, so I figured nah... I do read some German, but I try to avoid it haha

I just had a chat with another Z4 guy btw... Do you believe you would actually be able to program stuff like steering (EPS) and ABS? We talked about how it might be fun to program Z4 35is steering onto 35i. If that is possible, I'm willing to try the laptop route haha.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I use my cable on two cars on laptop and smartphone. Never heard of a locked cable due to laptop use.

Coding modules is straight forward (like doing the IS flash or Alpina Flash. Tons of tutorials available) and if the modules just differ in code i think flashing with WinKFP is no problem.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I use my cable on two cars on laptop and smartphone. Never heard of a locked cable due to laptop use.

Coding modules is straight forward (like doing the IS flash or Alpina Flash. Tons of tutorials available) and if the modules just differ in code i think flashing with WinKFP is no problem.

OK, now you mention WinKFP. That already makes my research so much easier. But I need someone to hold my hand a little:

I downloaded easy bmw tools, and I now have an application called WinKFP which works. It has a folder called sgdat with 21MB of files in it. So far so good.

wink.jpg

I then went on bmwcoding.com and searched for "ABS", hoping to find something about coding 1-series M coupe ABS onto non-M car like mine. Not a single result. I then searched for 35is, and found one thread about DME coding, which, I assume, has nothing to do about steering.

I then went to look at bmwcoding.com's beginners guide, and found attached three pdf files.

WinKFPsteps.pdf makes alot of sense. A step by step guide to changing some numbers. However, I need help on understanding what the numbers mean, and where I can find info about them. I honestly dont really get what changing those numbers do. Like my DME for instance, I know it has the latest ZB number already. And I assume that when I change maps in mdh, that number stays the same. So if I were to change that ZB number, what would it do? (I wont, just asking). Would my map dissappear and go back to stock?

The other pdf files are about updating the application itself, and I have no idea if they apply to my installation or not.

You mentioned the existence of a ton of tutorials. Can you give me any hints as to where I would go looking for info on
* M ABS on nonM cars (E9x) ie programming abs meant for nonRFTs
* 35is steering on non-is cars (specifc to E89)

Attachments

• WinKFP Import.pdf
    755.3 KB · Views: 21
  • How to start WinKFP.pdf
    733 KB · Views: 24
  • WINKFPSTEPS.pdf
    448.7 KB · Views: 29

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
Since others will be looking at this in the future, I have Carly, and it does most everything (for now) I need to do. BUT - I purchased before they went to a subscription model last year. I doubt I would purchase again with other apps now available to do the same thing.

Is it funny to think you are just getting into coding with all the other work you have done?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
So my experience here is also pretty limited.

I have used Carly on my first BMW to code things.
To really "code" things you use NCSexpert or NCSdummy .. I prefer latter as it is for me :D And very easy. (Coding is the behavior of your wiper, windows, sunroof, lights,. .etc.. This is for adding or deleting the VO´s also

WIth WinKFP you "flash" your modules. This means you are flashing whole software versions. Like you having a computer and installing the OS. So. Format c: and install/flash Windows 10. <-- not 100% correct but for making the picture.

So if you flash your DME it is like a full write with MHD. If you flash a new ZSUB on your DME you always flash the STOCK software. Your map is gone.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
There's some truth in laptops being able to lock out your cable although it's not a currently a problem. There was a batch of fake FTDI chips used in certain DCAN cables (mainly the eBay and Amazon junk cables), FTDI released a driver that detected these fake chips and bricked them (rendering the cable useless), the driver was automatically downloaded and applied as part of windows updates. Once microsoft found out FTDI had to stop this practice so it doesn't happen anymore.

It's not a problem if you have a quality BimmerGeeks cable as these use genuine chips.

With regards to programming software:
The best app based software out there is BimmerGeeks Pro Tool. I purchased it purely for convenience. It's not VIN locked and is just as functional as the standard tools suite.
For my laptop I use the BMW standard tool package and ISTA/D. WinKFP is the best tool for flashing modules and ISTA/D is great for diagnostics as it contains all the repair instruction with diagrams and torque specs, it basically tells you how to repair the car.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I'm still looking at flashing my steering module with the 35is version.

I had success flashing the 35is DCT software on my 35i (ZB Number: 8647893). Relatively easy using WinKFP, took about 5minutes.

Here's my notes if anyone else is tempted to do it:

1) Make sure your WinKFP is configured correctly. If you have any of the UIF boxes checked, you can uncheck them. This will keep you from having to enter the VIN and the flash being counted against the number of flashes allowed. I left mine ticked as I'm OCD and want the UIF to be accurate.

Make sure that the Bootsector update and faster baud rate is checked.

Check IFH and APH tracelevel are set to 0!

Hook up cable, load WinKFP, turn on car power but don't start. You can load INPA first if you want to make sure you
have a connection just be sure to close it before starting WinKFP.

2) Press F1 Comfort Mode

3) Press F3 Update ZSUB

4) In the ECU family, choose GS40, then OK

5) Press F2 Choose ZSUB

6) In the ECU family again choose GS40 and the ZB number field will
populate.

Select ZB 8647893 then click OK.

If done correctly the field at the top will populate with the Assembly ID # which is the ZB# of the flash and a
Hardware #.

Click F8 Done. If your UIF boxes are checked it will require
you to enter your full VIN before clicking Done.

7) Press F3 Program. There may be a popup, can't remember for sure off
the top of my head. If you entered your VIN it will tell how many more
times the ECU can be flashed.

8) Flashing begins. It will go to 100% twice, first very quickly, then the
second time will take 2-3 minutes. When done you will get a popup
saying programming done. Click OK, shut off car, remove key, lock up
car, wait 5 minutes, then start the car. You should be good to go. Check
for codes, you may have a few, I always do. Clear them with your tool

• Informative
Reactions: Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
1) Make sure your WinKFP is configured correctly. If you have any of the UIF boxes checked, you can uncheck them. This will keep you from having to enter the VIN and the flash being counted against the number of flashes allowed. I left mine ticked as I'm OCD and want the UIF to be accurate.

Make sure that the Bootsector update and faster baud rate is checked.

Check IFH and APH tracelevel are set to 0!

Hook up cable, load WinKFP, turn on car power but don't start. You can load INPA first if you want to make sure you
have a connection just be sure to close it before starting WinKFP.

2) Press F1 Comfort Mode

3) Press F3 Update ZSUB

4) In the ECU family, choose GS40, then OK

I got to point 4. Then was met with an empty selection of options. Any chance you can provide a quick hint as to what I missed during the setup? It seems all imports have been done already.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I got to point 4. Then was met with an empty selection of options. Any chance you can provide a quick hint as to what I missed during the setup? It seems all imports have been done already.

You're probably missing the DATEN files. What does the contents of your "C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GS40" folder look like?

What setup do you have any where did you download it from?

I've attached the files required, you should be able to just drop them in the GS40 folder and WinKFP should populate with the ZB.

Attachments

• GS40.zip
    1 MB · Views: 28

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
You're probably missing the DATEN files. What does the contents of your "C:\EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\GS40" folder look like?

What setup do you have any where did you download it from?

I've attached the files required, you should be able to just drop them in the GS40 folder and WinKFP should populate with the ZB.

Thanks a bunch. There was no GS40 folder. After copying over the zip, it now lists GS40.

Here's info on the setup I have. The NFS folder contains 48MB of data on my disk.

1.jpg 2.jpg

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Thanks a bunch. There was no GS40 folder. After copying over the zip, it now lists GS40.

Here's info on the setup I have. The NFS folder contains 48MB of data on my disk.

View attachment 35773 View attachment 35774
You probably don't have any daten files imported.

You can download the E89 files from here: https://mega.nz/#F!D9RSzQDQ!kfkRj1wG6VHRtemuG7Lv0g
Just unzip them and import. If you need a guide on how to import into WinKFP then google "importing daten into winkfp". There plenty of guides but I doubt this forum will let me directly link to them.

The files I attached previously should be enough to flash though.

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
I'm still looking at flashing my steering module with the 35is version.

I had success flashing the 35is DCT software on my 35i (ZB Number: 8647893). Relatively easy using WinKFP, took about 5minutes.

I may have missed something, what's the difference for both the steering and the DCT software? What's it giving me vs hitting the sport button and changing those dynamics?

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I may have missed something, what's the difference for both the steering and the DCT software? What's it giving me vs hitting the sport button and changing those dynamics?
The steering weight is different in the 35is. Not necessarily better but different.

The DCT flash changes the way the gearbox performs in all modes. It seems to hold the revs for longer and shift a little quicker in Normal mode. It's a pretty big upgrade in my opinion as the Normal mode driving with the 35i flash is flat.

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I finally got around to do the 35is DCT flash @carabuser described above. After a few days of testing I must say this mod is highly recommended indeed. It will spend the first few kms adapting and then it just works.