RB stage 2 turbos getting down!

gone335i

Lurker
Jan 1, 2017
I own the said 135i and will provide whatever info you would like buster84. Also if you would scroll thru previous comments you will see that i have posted pics of my car. If you need more info let me know. I race said car on the weekly and have tons of slips and videos. Rb stage 2 hands down out performance any other n54 turbo provider that i have used. Have a great day!

Also i normally cut 1.6 60 on my 18" wheels. Someone has asked above.....

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Rob, why don't you share particulars with us on what RB Stage 2 turbos are - configuration, feeatures?, cost, etc ...

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Being genuine how did you pull that off ? Do you know your 60 ft on street and what is your suspension setup and are those times consistent or is it nightmare to get good launch. I'm asking cause I have never left that hard in second I don't know if 275 nt05 are alot worse then nt01 I thought straight line they were close but could be wrong and i either build to much boost and light emm up or leave like grandma's driving while waiting for power to roll in. 1st leaves hard now but 2nd is still faster I think in overall cause one less shift

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Requires some web menu fondling so I can't link. Here's the data:

RB Two's

This is the Industry Standard Servicing Method where OEM TD03 center sections are utilized and customized for larger than TD03 sized internals. These products range from improved OEM replacements to a more economical approach to increasing performance.Includes:
  • Billet 15T Compressor Wheel & RB Bullet Nut
  • Larger than TD04 Thrust Assembly Upgrade
  • High Flow Custom enlarged 9-Blade High Aero Turbine Wheel
  • In-House VSR Balanced To .1G Levels (.2G Max)
$1,999

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Almost seems like better option than 15t td04 offerings from rb

Definitely a good value choice, but what is the reliability difference in running a TD03 vs TD04 at 20+ PSI boost levels? I figured the TD04 would have a longer lifespan if pushed hard.

Rob, are these out of steam at 22psi or can they go higher? Would you recommend low 20s as the safe limit for these?

gone335i

Lurker
Jan 1, 2017
Being genuine how did you pull that off ? Do you know your 60 ft on street and what is your suspension setup and are those times consistent or is it nightmare to get good launch. I'm asking cause I have never left that hard in second I don't know if 275 nt05 are alot worse then nt01 I thought straight line they were close but could be wrong and i either build to much boost and light emm up or leave like grandma's driving while waiting for power to roll in. 1st leaves hard now but 2nd is still faster I think in overall cause one less shift

Stock suspension. A couple weeks ago i entered a hard tire race and was cutting 1.7/1.8 60' with 2nd gear launch. Tire was a 200 treadwear. The NT01 (100 treadwear) that i normally run, is a softer compound than nt05 (200 treadwear). Im pretty consistent with the 1.6 on the nt01. I brake boost up to about 2000-2200 rpm which puts me leaving the line at or around 4/5 psi on launch. These turbos have "stock like" spool up. Thats why i like them so much!

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Definitely a good value choice, but what is the reliability difference in running a TD03 vs TD04 at 20+ PSI boost levels? I figured the TD04 would have a longer lifespan if pushed hard.

Rob, are these out of steam at 22psi or can they go higher? Would you recommend low 20s as the safe limit for these?

This is what I get confused about with so many RB options. I spoke to Rob last year about upgrading when I thought my stock turbos were going out... and the options were endless. I had a lot of trouble deciding what to go with for long term reliability and got overloaded with choice! :)

I assume the concerns over a TD03 and TD04 for reliability would be relating to the amount of extremely high boost pulls being made? I street my car 95% of the time and rarely abuse my turbos. For me, it seems like TD03 would suffice?

Certainly seems like TD03 is sufficing for @gone335i ! :p

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This is what I get confused about with so many RB options. I spoke to Rob last year about upgrading when I thought my stock turbos were going out... and the options were endless. I had a lot of trouble deciding what to go with for long term reliability and got overloaded with choice! :)
This is a common problem, as I've experienced and heard other say similarly. The web site makes it worse - one can't compare anything to anything or get any idea why A/B/C/D/E/J/L/Q/Next/Super/Two/yadda yadda. I read pages of threads on the PCV system and finally gave up and asked Rob questions via email, which he quickly and graciously answered.

I think it has been that way for years. End of the day, if you are serious, write him - he will respond and help you figure out what to buy.

Filippo

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I think Rob has me on ignore, but aren't all of the TD04 offerings relatively new, i.e. within the past 2 or 3 years? I was researching hybrids before I even bought a car, and I recall other than GCs, there were no TD04 CHRA based hybrids until MMP came out with theirs. I think Rob may have had some Supers or Evos or whatever model uses TD04 CHRAs in beta, but not publicly released at that time. I don't think Pure has ever stated what the specs are on theirs.

Had the RB TD04 models been more publicized, I probably would have gone that route. I would also say that a simplification of the offerings would help many consumers choose better.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra

I assume the concerns over a TD03 and TD04 for reliability would be relating to the amount of extremely high boost pulls being made? I street my car 95% of the time and rarely abuse my turbos. For me, it seems like TD03 would suffice?

Certainly seems like TD03 is sufficing for @gone335i ! :p

Really it is an upward power chain of options, trading off for a little budget and spool the higher you go.

From 2010-2015 all we had were the TD04 Center Section based Classic RB's, and we started to get to the TD04 Center Section based Super RB EVO lineup (ie. 19T) at the tail end of that timeframe as well.

The early Super RB Options were fairly potent but they did endure some failures, some sooner some later. We actually stopped their new sales for about a year and they were re-released very late 2016 with many quality improvement changes including an offering for 15T/17T/19T. Another vendor stepped in with a Super RB EVO-like product around the time we discontinued new sales on them and quite frankly we were happy to get away from it as we re-thought some things that we believed were leading to some issues.

Back to 9/2015 and at the beginning era of the inlet craze, we began selling the TD04 Center Section based RB Next Gens. These were a replacement of our discontinued RB Classics, and is a common rebuild we perform of RB Classics produced over the first 5 years of production. This offering has been a beautiful success, extremely unproblematic, with still a nearly bulletproof track record even after a full 3 years of production.

Late 2016 we released the RB Next Gen Plus, another TD04 Center Section based option, along with the numerous aforementioned updated Super RB EVO options. All of these products too have been absolutely fantastic, and to date we have seen no failures that we could have avoided by a manufacturing improvement (ie. we can't avoid the user blowing an engine, etc) and as such the quality levels have been nothing short of phenomenal. The Super RB EVO options are essentially the same thing as the RB Next Gen (15T), RB Next Gen Plus (17T), and Super RB Stealth (19T) options aside they have a larger native TD04 compressor cover.

Also late 2016 we started to realize the amount of OE TD03 Center Section cores we had on hand were overwhelming despite the hundreds upon hundreds we'd offloaded to competitors over the years and on Ebay for next to nothing... so figured it was time to put them to use. There entered the RB OEM/RB OEM TD03 center section based product line. These are basically OE replacements that we began selling 10/2016 with literally zero defects to date and believe it or not they have sold like hot cakes non-stop. Perfect product and a great way to help people out not looking for more power but still retain great reliability while not spending a lot of money. Also a great way for us to trim down on our "set aside" TD03 Center Section inventory that was otherwise going no where, literally hundreds upon hundreds of these centers were on the shelf and now we are down to our last few. Good stuff.

Late 2016 into early 2017 we began the RB Ones (Stage 1+) and mid into later 2017 the RB Twos (Beta Stage 2's); both TD03 Center Section based offerings. The RB Ones went straight into production and we have had 2 occurrences with them to date, 1 set an admitted user error causing FOD to the compressor and another some extreme abuse case (we did not get this set back yet but suspect the engine was toasted too). We've sold over 50 sets of these and overall they've have been great, and absolutely perfect from a manufacturing standpoint. The RB Twos we wanted to take a bit slower, so we fairly quietly put them into a beta program 10/2017 to the tune of 6 sets. As we'd expected/hoped they too have been perfect to date, and we feel are now 100% production worthy.

After some fumbles over the years with new products with fairly significant changes, we have learned it is never a good thing to toss many sets out to the world because sometimes you just do not see issues until many many months later. As stated earlier a manufacturer may see defects start to appear but it could take time, usually around 3-9 months, but that doesn't mean the masses will get the inside scoop. Generally speaking the masses may either never find out or even if they do it will take a year or much more.

All of our products have power ranges that we recommend they be used within, and they are all proving to be very high quality day in and day out so there is no best answer of "what is the most reliable". Ultimately pairing off power goals and usage patterns with budget and spool helps us decide what is best for the consumers, all we really want to do is to fit each customer with what fits them as a whole the best. Indeed it all can be confusing and as Fillippo indicated reaching out is what most do in order to help us help them to personalize their order.

Rob

Last edited:

Mikenazz

Lurker
Apr 28, 2017
My rb next gen plus have been doing great for 2 yrs 20k on them always 22 to 28psi daily and nearly 30 drag runs on them.
received_2245086428842783.jpeg

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
So what is the benefit of the native td04 cover
Like a super rb vs rb next gen of same size cause both have td04 center section correct one is just native and also does the larger td04 offerings have slower spool than the td03 or non native ones because of less mass or what I am really asking is are their any downsides besides cost of going with the higher end options

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
So what is the benefit of the native td04 cover
Like a super rb vs rb next gen of same size cause both have td04 center section correct one is just native and also does the larger td04 offerings have slower spool than the td03 or non native ones because of less mass or what I am really asking is are their any downsides besides cost of going with the higher end options

Bigger compressor housings are for better efficiency, cooler IATs, a bit more power, all with no real hit in turbo response.

And while the Super RB EVO turbos themselves fit like a glove on an N54 they are still a bit more of a burden to install (especially if 5 series, RHD, etc) primarily due to the larger EVO Style outlets that match the larger EVO Style housing sizing. Lastly as our current EVO Style outlets seem to interfere with the coolant reservoir in the OE location it must be altered in position or relocated if not already, regardless of model or drive side. Some of these things can be a deterrent for some folks out there when it comes to the EVO lineup, whereas others are more than happy to accept the additional labor trade offs for them. Different strokes for different folks and that is why we offer the setups both ways.

Rob

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
current EVO Style outlets seem to interfere with the coolant reservoir in the OE location it must be altered in position or relocated if not already
Don't know if E90 same as E89, but N55 coolant reservoir is slightly shorter on the bottom, giving better clearance and bolts to N54 E89 location - though don't know if that's the clearance spot. Just an FYI.

Filippo

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Don't know if E90 same as E89, but N55 coolant reservoir is slightly shorter on the bottom, giving better clearance and bolts to N54 E89 location - though don't know if that's the clearance spot. Just an FYI.

Filippo

I have tried the n55 tank. It adds a lot of clearance but not enough for the EVO outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli