N54 RB Ones Arrived

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Wtf is wrong with me..... first I left a blind cap off the expansion tank. Now I find a loose clamp. Moron mechanic of the year goes to me.

Attachments

• 1659972509569964525993313500500.jpg
    1659972509569964525993313500500.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 39

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Wtf is wrong with me..... first I left a blind cap off the expansion tank. Now I find a loose clamp. Moron mechanic of the year goes to me.
I’ve done that, too. The T-bolt is supposed to go over the rubber thingy. 😉

• Funny
Reactions: wheela

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
A couple of things apparent from your logs:
1) your wgdc tables need adjusting. WGDC (PID) too wild / over correcting after shift at lower rpm. Probably need to reduce your P and D tables somewhat.
2) many 3-4*Timing pulls - I’m not sure why? Adding a few gallons of ethanol or E85 should quiet things down.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheFixer

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I’ve done that, too. The T-bolt is supposed to go over the rubber thingy. 😉
I didn't tighten it and came off. Not sure how I missed it.... but I did.

I think I might need to snug the others a little more.

Also need to make sure the BOV is working right.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
A couple of things apparent from your logs:
1) your wgdc tables need adjusting. WGDC (PID) too wild / over correcting after shift at lower rpm. Probably need to reduce your P and D tables somewhat.
2) many 3-4*Timing pulls - I’m not sure why? Adding a few gallons of ethanol or E85 should quiet things down.
We are working on getting things dialed in. Those logs are from the first custom base map.
Right now I'm trying to figure out where I'm having issues building boost.

I've probably got to tighten some more fittings. I've also got to make sure the BOV is operating properly. I think I'm losing boost from that. I'm going to put a heavier spring in and see what that does.

Also going to change the o ring where the charge pipe connects to TB. It felt a little loose when I was putting it back on.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
We are working on getting things dialed in. Those logs are from the first custom base map.
Right now I'm trying to figure out where I'm having issues building boost.

I've probably got to tighten some more fittings. I've also got to make sure the BOV is operating properly. I think I'm losing boost from that. I'm going to put a heavier spring in and see what that does.

Also going to change the o ring where the charge pipe connects to TB. It felt a little loose when I was putting it back on.
All good ideas - best of luck with your build!

Also - I’ve experimented with Tial BOV springs, and the 10 psi one seems to work best for me.

I’ve also experimented with the o-ring for the charge pipe to throttle body connection since mine felt loose, too. But the slightly larger o-rings I tried were too thick and I couldn’t get the charge pipe to fit onto the TB. If you do find a slightly thicker o-ring that seems to provide a better fit please share the size and source.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheFixer

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
All good ideas - best of luck with your build!

Also - I’ve experimented with Tial BOV springs, and the 10 psi one seems to work best for me.

I’ve also experimented with the o-ring for the charge pie to throttle body connection since mine felt loose, too. But the slightly larger o-rings I tried were too thick and I couldn’t get the charge pipe to fit onto the TB. If you do find a slightly thicker o-ring that seems to provide a better fit please share the size and source.
I was just helping a neighbor kid with his setup and his O ring for the charge pipe does not fit, had to put it on without it. IDK how, or why or what brand the change pipe is but I can tell you it will not fit. Maybe someone makes a smaller one?

AshwinLB

Private
Oct 7, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Ride
2010 E82 135i
A BOV controls boost since that is what was in question.
I know the stock valves can handle more but at what limit and for how long? That is why an aftermarket BOV is used in most cases.
A bov doesn’t directly control boost, that’s the job of the wastegate. But yeah the stock valves can’t really handle more than stock boost since it can create a boost leak when going more than 8psi

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
A bov doesn’t directly control boost, that’s the job of the wastegate. But yeah the stock valves can’t really handle more than stock boost since it can create a boost leak when going more than 8psi
You are right, I should have said they relieve pressure in the system.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Still seems I have a boost leak somewhere. Driving me nuts.

I tightened every fitting down tighter from the outlet to the charge pipe.

Based on my manifold vacuum I changed to the heavier blue spring in my Turbosmart bov.

I did a smoke test. Blew into the charge pipe and smoke only emerged from the filters on the inlets. Also smoked it with inlets plugged. No smoke coming out from any where.

I will do a pressure test now using my air compressor. Maybe I'll hear air hissing out of a fitting somewhere.

Reactions: NoGuru

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
One of my boost solenoids is operating erratically.

Going to order a set of pierburg solenoids.

Also need to order a longer intercooler hose for the intake side. My clamp seems to be sliding halfway off the hose. Pressure builds and the hose pushes the clamp off.