Propulsive Dynamics Closer to Launching Mass Production of 6HP21/19 Upgrade

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Propulsive Dynamics, LLC is happy to announce that we will soon be offering a complete drop-in solution for the 6HP21/19 transmissions that are currently found in N54/N55 powered vehicles. It is preferred that the customer send in their stock unit for rebuild, however, sending a salvaged donor unit is also possible. We also strongly advise that the end user utilize an ATF cooler to aide in heat management of the system.

The fully built transmissions offered by Propulsive Dynamics feature the following…

- Upgraded G3 Friction Material frictions (technical info brochure attached)

- Upgraded Kolene steels (technical info brochure attached)

- Increased clutch plate counts

- Upgraded Race Bushings throughout

- ZF Complete Overhaul Kit

- Fully rebuilt and upgraded valve-body

- Fully rebuilt and upgraded torque converter (stock stall, currently)

- Each finished unit is fully calibrated on a loaded transmission dyno cell

- Each unit is shipped with a calibration data packet which also includes the adaptation procedure

Propulsive Dynamics, LLC has formed an exclusive partnership with European Transmissions. They will be performing the rebuilds and dyno calibration of all of our units. They are a BMW certified transmission refurbishment facility for BMW USA.

The calibration procedure includes increasing line pressures in each clutch drum, increased flow through the ATF pump, adjustments to slip durations to compensate for the increased friction coefficient and adjustments to the adaptation parameters themselves in order for the system to learn within its new boundaries. We are rating the performance increase at ~30% over the known capacity limit of the stock configuration with increased spectrum of usage and margin of safety.

We currently have 4 beta units in the field and the owners are all reporting extremely positive results. More quantifiable data will begin to flow in after this weekend and I am encouraging them to post any and all feedback. Some of the feedback reported thus far has been…

- Faster, sportier shifts

- Firmer, more deliberate shifts

- OEM-lke shifts during daily driving

- Increased shift points (7100 RPMs reported) at WOT

We plan to launch a 15 spot group-buy at the conclusion of beta testing which, hopefully, won’t be too much longer. Early interest in the group-buy can be expressed in this thread. Group-buy pricing will be $4,500.

Any updates will also be posted in this thread.

EDIT for Group-Buy info:

"Jason, out of curiosity, do you have any idea on how the group buy will roll out? Deposits? Delivery windows? Deposit refund policy? Etc."

Excellent question. Currently, our thinking is that after we get 15 people signed up, we would ask for 50% down to start manufacturing the clutches and bushings. Upon completion of the manufacturing phase, currently estimated to be in the 2 week domain, we would then ask for the remaining 50% and for the customer to send us their transmission for upgrade.

After we receive the customer's transmission, turnaround time is estimated to be 4 days based on what we experienced with building the 5 previous units. The rebuild process looks like this...

- Disassembly
- Deep cleaning
- Complete inspection
- Reassemble with upgrades
- Dyno calibration
- Ship

Group-Buy List:
1) nitemare
2) 08_335i
3) doublespaces
4) braddman
5) wtfmarine
6) obed figureroa
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)

Here's a pic of the loaded trans dyno cell we use...
shopdyno.jpg

Here's a pic of a customer's transmission right before install...
Customer trans photo.jpeg

Attachments

• ZF6HP19-21 High Performance Friction Brochure Rev2.pdf
    108 KB · Views: 356
  • ZF6HP19-21 High Performance Kolene Steels Brochure.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Jason, out of curiosity, do you have any idea on how the group buy will roll out? Deposits? Delivery windows? Deposit refund policy? Etc.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@Jason@Propulsive-Dynamics so the $4500 would be from us sending you a core and you building it for us, correct? And would this include the software upgrade as well or is this just a hardware upgrade for the trans?

- Each finished unit is fully calibrated on a loaded transmission dyno cell

- Each unit is shipped with a calibration data packet which also includes the adaptation procedure

Propulsive Dynamics, LLC has formed an exclusive partnership with European Transmissions. They will be performing the rebuilds and dyno calibration of all of our units. They are a BMW certified transmission refurbishment facility for BMW USA.

The calibration procedure includes increasing line pressures in each clutch drum, increased flow through the ATF pump, adjustments to slip durations to compensate for the increased friction coefficient and adjustments to the adaptation parameters themselves in order for the system to learn within its new boundaries. We are rating the performance increase at ~30% over the known capacity limit of the stock configuration with increased spectrum of usage and margin of safety.

- Increased shift points (7100 RPMs reported) at WOT

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Jason, out of curiosity, do you have any idea on how the group buy will roll out? Deposits? Delivery windows? Deposit refund policy? Etc.

Excellent question. Currently, our thinking is that after we get 15 people signed up, we would ask for 50% down to start manufacturing the clutches and bushings. Upon completion of the manufacturing phase, currently estimated to be in the 2 week domain, we would then ask for the remaining 50% and for the customer to send us their transmission for upgrade.

After we receive the customer's transmission, turnaround time is estimated to be 4 days based on what we experienced with building the 5 previous units. The rebuild process looks like this...

- Disassembly
- Deep cleaning
- Complete inspection
- Reassemble with upgrades
- Dyno calibration
- Ship

Reactions: doublespaces

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
I'd like to add that after the transmission has been built and dyno calibrated by us, there will never be a need to fine tune it. This transmission behaves as it would if BMW had purpose-built a 700whp transmission at the factory. Also, several of the assembly process are automated which adds accuracy, repeatably and increased quality.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
Mostly yes. Understandably you're highlighting the data but it looks like a tight margin there.

My apologies. It was not intended to skew or exaggerate the interpretation of the data, only show that it was slightly better than stock. Our target was to at least match it, which is a pretty huge feat considering the 17% increase in dynamic coefficient, so we were pretty happy the results showed a slight improvement. However, I agree it does looks a bit strange. The good news is, this is the most documented data point so far that directly correlates back to this graph. The first thing all of my betas reported was the improvement in shift quality.

Reactions: V8bait

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
My apologies. It was not intended to skew or exaggerate the interpretation of the data, only show that it was slightly better than stock. Our target was to at least match it, which is a pretty huge feat considering the 17% increase in dynamic coefficient, so we were pretty happy the results showed a slight improvement. However, I agree it does looks a bit strange. The good news is, this is the most documented data point so far that directly correlates back to this graph. The first thing all of my betas reported was the improvement in shift quality.

That's reassuring, 2017 may finally be the year the autotragic becomes more 'matic. With any luck potential will start matching ET's at the track; we need to beat 'stralia and make America great again!