Progressive Web App (PWA) and forum software update

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
As you have seen the appearance of the forum has changed, don't get too attached as there are additional changes coming. The forum software itself has also been updated to a new minor point revision which brings a number of new features:

• Progressive Web App. When installed via the hamburger menu, an app icon will appear on your home screen and will also deliver push notifications (Except iOS)
  • Native Web Share capability. Clicking the share icons will show your device's native 'share sheet' to other apps such as Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, SMS, etc.
  • Several third party modifications I had installed have become first party features. As they are implemented you may see some functionality disappear temporarily.
Along the lines of visual appearance, the individual sub domains for each platform have been removed. This has created a situation where a lot of the things you want are nested in other sections. This was a price needed to be paid for the simplification of the site's software upgrade and maintenance processes. Additionally, there are now multiple theme options listed at the bottom of the site, you'll have the typical Light and Dark theme as well as the Pro versions of them which re-arranges some of the navigation.

Additionally, there is a 'Trending' feature listed at the top of the page. Based on a few different metrics and algorithms, the top threads will be listed here, not just the most recently updated threads. As more content from different platforms is mixed in, it will blend nicely into this single space and doesn't require traversing the forum nodes individually.

Aside from the miscellaneous changes under the hood, I've had a new Record Book functionality developed which I will be releasing soon. This project has gone through multiple delays, but it will be a clean record book setup where you can submit your HP records in addition to 1/4 Mile and 1/2 Mile records. We can support any category of records so everything within Dragy is fair game. More to come on that soon.

To install the Progressive Web App, click the three lines in the top left, scroll down to the bottom and click install:

Screenshot_20210102-120231.png

For PC, it is in the address bar:
1609616463904.png

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Did you pull back the update? I don't have the "install the app" on my android, nor is there a + sign on my PC.

EDIT - had to scroll to see the install button on android.

Were you joking about it on PC and just telling us to bookmark the page? I have bookmark, but no + sign.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Did you pull back the update? I don't have the "install the app" on my android, nor is there a + sign on my PC.

EDIT - had to scroll to see the install button on android.

Were you joking about it on PC and just telling us to bookmark the page? I have bookmark, but no + sign.
Chances are you have the cached manifest. If you have a chromium based browser, right click, inspect, applications tab, clear storage, clear site data. Then click manifest, click webmanifest.php this will refresh it. Then close and reopen the browser and tell me if that works.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I'm not really into how the forums are organized now, any chance we can go back to the old setup? Seems like way too much clicking. I know you are probably hoping to expand to more platforms but I think this is always gonna be a high HP N54 owner base....

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The old way required a pretty ugly conglomeration of custom software that required too much effort to upgrade and in many cases presented issues that were too cumbersome to manage.

We aren't going back but there are changes that are planned to make content more at your fingertips. You just have to unsubscribe from the concept of forum nodes and subscribe to the idea of topics.