Programming and Coding FAQ

Levanime

Private
Supporting Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
NorCal
CLUSTER Virginizing

red3_Small.jpg
This section is for those that want to know how to retrofit M3 cluster or replace your dash cluster when it has problems.

This process of making a cluster ready to swap is called Cluster Virginizing. Inside a cluster there is a memory chip, in this case an EEPROM. This EEPROM holds the information about mileage, the VIN number to the vehicle it is associated to, etc.

So you need to do when installing a second hand cluster from an M3/M5 or not, is to virginize it, i.e. delete the hardcoded information from EEPROM.

This hardcoded information is mileage, which is written in incremental area of the EEPROM as well as the VIN number. If the VIN number in the cluster does not match the other modules in the destination car, you will have a little dot next to mileage on the LCD screen of the cluster which means there has been some tampering.

When installing a cluster from other car, the cluster and CAS modules will check the mileage they have recorded, and they will synchronize them to whichever is highest. So for example, if the cluster you are installing in the car has 100k miles, and your car only has 50k miles, 100k miles will be copied to CAS, or vice-versa. So this is why the mileage needs to be deleted from the EEPROM. As for the VIN, some people edit the VIN number directly in EEPROM after virginizing the cluster, and some just delete it and set the VIN when the module is coded in the car when it gets reinstalled.

Dealers will not perform this service unless you buy brand new cluster. There are services, where you can mail them your used cluster, they will prepare it (Virginize it) and send it back to you and code it to your car remotely.

Also, Background color of the Cluster can be changed, as on this picture:
LED_MOD_SMALL.jpeg

HOW TO REPLACE YOUR DME/DDE WITH A USED UNIT

MSD80_2007_2011_ECU_DME_Siemens_SKU_6458__92751.1426713586.1280.1280-2.jpg
In early models, the system responsible for security in BMW cars was called EWS (Elektronische Wegfahr Sperre).
However lately, the EWS has become part of the CAS Module (Car Access System). And on latest models FEM (Front Electronic Module) module is responsible for that function.

The way these systems work is by having the same password in the EWS/CAS/FEM and DME/DDE systems. This password is called the ISN. Whenever a person tries to start the car, the DME/DDE checks the ISN stored inside it with the one stored inside the EWS/CAS/FEM.
If the passwords don't match, the injectors will not open.

So, what is needed in case your DME/DDE needs replaced or is fried? One way is to go to the dealer and pay a couple of thousand dollars to purchase brand new DME/DDE to fix the problem.

The alternative is to purchase a used DME/DDE for cheap, then find an Indy who has the special advanced tools, so the ISN can be copied from replacement DME/DDE to your EWS/CAS/FEM.

As with cluster virginization, there are services where you can mail in your modules and they mail them back, synchronized and ready to work with the replacement DME/DDE.

REPLACING A FRIED FRM MODULE OR FIXING PROBLEMS WITH LIGHTS AND WINDOWS

DSCN0137_zpsdbf39170-2.jpg
Symptoms:
Windows don't work,
Lights are not controllable,
Cornering lights don't work

Reason:
BMW had a bug in lighting module, called FRM, which is installed on E9X cars.

Fairly often, when changing the battery or doing diagnostics on the car, they can just fail arbitrarily.
Fortunately BMW offers replacement for them, so it would be good idea to ask Dealer first.

If you can't get a replacement from BMW, there are Indies who can fix the fried FRMs for relatively cheap price.
In 99.9% of all cases it will be recovered and then mailed back in working condition. You only have to install it, no additional steps are necessary.
If you need this service, you can PM me.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Very Cool, Does this also mean that the average Joe could take their 175k mile bimmer and make it show it only has 100k? Just curious because that would be something to tell people to check for when purchasing these vehicles.

Levanime

Private
Supporting Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
NorCal
that is possible if you have special tools,
illegal of course
not very difficult to check

Levanime

Private
Supporting Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
NorCal
So depending on the persons skills and will who was doing mileage correction there can be different level of coverage.

• Easiest way is, (if Cluster was not modified, retrofited) check seal on Cluster, on e90/e60 clusters its on the right side. - New seal can be applied but done rarely.
  • Next: to change mileage in Cluster, needles need to be removed and after installed back usually calibration is messed up and speedo and tacho are not pointing 0 when ign is off. also you can enable digital speed and compare reading of needle to the number. - Needles can be placed correctly if proper time spent or person has enough skills to correct them by coding.
  • Next way is to check mileage recorded in different modules - Rarely mileage is modified in all modules. for example RDC
  • It's also possible to check working hours on DME and calculate if its realistic - working hours can be zeroed
  • you can also read Key data with proper tool and check mileage in it - new keys could be programmed
  • etc
im no expert in this so there might be easier ways too

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Have a look at R270 Programmer and Autohex...does everything mentioned above and more...
If I remember correctly, editing mileage only requires the values to be synced in CAS and KOMBI

There are also CANBUS filters on alibaba which lets you stop the mileage from syncing between CAS and KOMBI...
but I think this topic is in a grey area so... admins please delete my post if I've crossed the line.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Since this is still up, can I program my vin to the n54 ecu and cas when I do my swap? I'll need this to be kosher when inspection comes around. Unless there is a law that you can do an nine upgrade if it's the same or newer, anyone have info with this? I know I can swap all the nessasery modules, it's my vin I need. Lmk. Ty.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Couple things, I know you can run the 54 with all the electronics from the 535, I pulled it all out, and found a lot of it is the same, except for the nav, and other non extras the 535 has. Then I read the msv70 could support di, which in that case, may be easier. Not sure as I haven't looked more into this, but I'm stripping down the 535 for anything electrical I may need. Like I said , most of the modules are the same and all I see with that is certain coding. I'm so dying to get this going, I just don't need that wall when inspection comes around. I'm dune in August, good for two years, so if I can get that motor right, it's gravy from there on, the swap is butter, it's the software that I'm on the fence about. I don't need to spend a ton buying a 535 with no history. I'll keep in touch with you, thank you