Precision Turbo Oil Leaking

markyb0

Corporal
Jun 17, 2017
Hampton, VA
Ride
2009 335i ST
I have a precision turbo 6266bb gen 2. Oil seems to be slowly coming out of the oil feed union threads and starts burning. I have some loctite 243 I was going to try and put on the threads but its going to have to wait till next weekend since I cant get the union off without taking the turbo out to because of the 90degree oil feed elbow hits the exhaust housing. Anyone else have this problem before or know how to fix this?

Attachments

• InkedIMG_2306_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_2306_LI.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • InkedIMG_2308_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_2308_LI.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 704

markyb0

Corporal
Jun 17, 2017
Hampton, VA
Ride
2009 335i ST
If you open that you void the warranty i think

Yea I think I read about that but the turbo came with the kit from doc race. Precision warranty is only good for 12 months after purchase and I've had this since November. So who knows how long doc race had this sitting on there shelf before I bought it. I'm just taking this as if the warranty is already expired. And if its a simple fix like putting some loctite on or some teflon tape on the threads. I'd rather do that then wait a month of shipping it to them and waiting for another one to show up.

Blaster3500

Sergeant
Nov 5, 2016
SC
Pretty sure that centers the bearings and it should not be removed. If you bought it new I would give Doc Race a call. I would imagine they buy a ton from Precision and would likely be able to help you.

DS3IAM

Private
Mar 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E90 xDrive
Yea I think I read about that but the turbo came with the kit from doc race. Precision warranty is only good for 12 months after purchase and I've had this since November. So who knows how long doc race had this sitting on there shelf before I bought it. I'm just taking this as if the warranty is already expired. And if its a simple fix like putting some loctite on or some teflon tape on the threads. I'd rather do that then wait a month of shipping it to them and waiting for another one to show up.

Shouldn't the warranty be through Doc Race at the time of purchase? Never hurts to contact Doc Race to get their thoughts. Let us know how it turns out if you go that route.

Promodracer

Sep 7, 2018
Ride
335i m sport convertible
I have a precision turbo 6266bb gen 2. Oil seems to be slowly coming out of the oil feed union threads and starts burning. I have some loctite 243 I was going to try and put on the threads but its going to have to wait till next weekend since I cant get the union off without taking the turbo out to because of the 90degree oil feed elbow hits the exhaust housing. Anyone else have this problem before or know how to fix this?
Lock tight can not take heat.

markyb0

Corporal
Jun 17, 2017
Hampton, VA
Ride
2009 335i ST
I emailed doc race about it and they said to just send them the turbo and they'll take a look at it I think. I emailed them awhile ago i forgot what exactly what they said wether they would replace it or just fix it. But Ive been really busy with work for the past couple months getting ready for deployment so i havent had any time to mess with the car. Its just been sitting not being drivin for a long time :(

steve30

Private
Sep 26, 2019
Ride
E36 M3, E90 335 ST
I had a similar issue with my turbo and it ended up being excessive crank case pressure due to a bad valve cover as the PCV was clogged. It was causing the turbo drain to back up and the oil looked for the weakest way out which was my oil feed on the turbo. Just adding an alternate perspective. These stock valve covers tend to not provide enough crank case pressure relief so I ended up going with another valve cover that deletes the pcv entirely and a dual catchcan setup to VTA.

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
whats the oil pressure going into the turbo?maybe pressure too high?should we be running a restictor?looks like you have a pte gen 2 turbo BB

AUbeast86

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
New Market, AL
Ride
335i e92 6MT
I had this same issue on my 6266. Sent it to PTE and they fixed it for $30.
The oil feed fitting is part of the CHRA so it has to go back in order to be properly fixed. Tightening it won't do any good. Actually, over-tightening it is one of the causes for the leaking. In my case, the hood hit the oil feed line when I was top mount and knocked it out of alignment.
Below is a clip from my invoice...

1582412169798.png

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
This is the stuff precision recommends right on their instructions, and it's wonderful stuff on everything else too.

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_145330.jpg
    IMG_20200218_145330.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 459