Precision 6266 Vs. 6466 (Goal - 700whp)

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
y'all need M3 cowls, 335D coolant tank, and OFHG block off plate with stainless steel AN Oil lines / external thermostat mounted cleanly... then your engine bays will be perfect :sunglasses:

Reactions: chadillac2000

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Tyler you're a little biased towards bottom mount kits if were gonna be honest.

Absolutely. But that isn't against the rules either ;) Sometimes that bias is born out of facts.

I'm not sure if he installed his kit, but if he did, he should know that a top mount's easy access is a huge plus when it comes to working on these cars.

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/documents/ad-engineering-single-turbo-install-diy.29/

The heater core exits the driver side. It goes to the thermostat on the passenger side. When you relocated the expansion tank, correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to run another line back to the driver side. That is silly to me, just my opinion. More potential for leaks, extra hose to route, etc.

He has, and I have no doubts he loves it so far. But there are definitely some great advantages to the turbo and everything else being so accessible on top mounts compared. Bottom mount has its perks too for sure.

Are we talking pro-con of top vs bottom or are we talking installation integrity? Because I don't think there is any doubt that a bottom mount requires less babysitting and therefore, is more reliable and less likely for the average person to encounter issues. Fact. Go run some numbers, bottom mounts have less problems and its not hard to figure out why. It doesn't need as much precautionary work to make it a sound install.

Right now, there is a post about someone melting their AC lines. People talking about how theirs broke, getting freon in their face, etc. I tried to buy an ER CF engine cover once. Thing was burned to a crisp on the edge. When have you heard someone say, "Oh man, I burned my frame rail". "Today, I melted my oil pan, please help".

I must be missing out on the bling! But seriously, we need some more clean installs with a little more effort on the top mount setups. Plus if you do it right the first time around like Jake said, and relocate things properly, you won't be melting things.

There are certainly some very clean top mount installs, but it doesn't change the fact that a bottom mount has less catch 22's.

If we are getting nit picky though, top mount mac solenoid placement is usually an eye sore. Looks like I should put my clothes out to dry on the lines

The top mount looks great, is easy to service. But the integrity of a bottom mount installation is far more likely to be reliable. If your turbos aren't failing, then the servicing part is mostly irrelevant.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
Do bottm mounts have less issues, or is the vast majority of people that are single turbo, run top mounts because no one wanted to pay almost 8k for a single kit? True, I have no problem admitting there are less "problem" areas on a bottom mount kit. I also firmly believe anyone with an IQ can see the things they need to prep when installing a top mount kit to keep from ever having issues or having to babysit.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Do bottm mounts have less issues, or is the vast majority of people that are single turbo, run top mounts because no one wanted to pay almost 8k for a single kit? True, I have no problem admitting there are less "problem" areas on a bottom mount kit. I also firmly believe anyone with an IQ can see the things they need to prep when installing a top mount kit to keep from ever having issues or having to babysit.

For years and years, bottom mounts were the only option. The more parts involved in a machine, the more potential for failure. No matter how well it was put together. But your logic here is starting to sound like a hybrid turbo defense.

Also, price for bottom mounts is going to hit rock bottom soon. I've been preaching this moment, but 2018 will be the year bottom mount picks up momentum again.

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
For years and years, bottom mounts were the only option. The more parts involved in a machine, the more potential for failure. No matter how well it was put together. But your logic here is starting to sound like a hybrid turbo defense.

Also, price for bottom mounts is going to hit rock bottom soon. I've been preaching this moment, but 2018 will be the year bottom mount picks up momentum again.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
The reason people run topmounts is simply because it's 2-3k cheaper then the bottom mount. If budget isn't an issue go bottom mount. You dont have to worry about melting everything or relocating things. I wonder has anybody made a kit using that spa t3 manifold. You could easily get 800whp out of it

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
From a different angle, for those dealing with emissions, bottom mount looks way more stock and really difficult to see that anything is different. I'm not sure what would happen in my world with a top-mount, going through emissions.

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
No idea for example what would happen going through California emissions. Have to think that would be a nightmare with a top mount.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
I lived in Florida so you can do whatever you want. I have jp topmount on my car and some of locals have a bottom mount Motiv setup and another has the old school ftec bottom. Heat management is a big thing when it comes to the top mounts. But like I said before the biggest reason people have top mount instead of bottoms is because of price. You can get a top mount 3-4500 but bottom mounts run from 6500-7900.

• Angry
Reactions: Schurter

Nick380

Private
Nov 4, 2016
CA
Hey hey, not to revive a 3 year old thread, but bottom mounts as Tyler has predicted are actually cheaper than most top mounts now. Going for 3-5k with turbo from speed tech now. 👀. Getting a speedtech bottom mount. Was looking to see 6266 vs 6466. What did you end up with?

Reactions: doublespaces

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
So i should go with a 6466 over a 6266 as well. I was too fixated with the idea smaller turbo faster spool.

The spool is basically the same.

Google 6266 vs. 6466 and you can see how they spool almost identical but the 6466 has more top end headroom.

Again both can max out a stock block on full E85. But I don't see they reason to go with the 6266 when they spool basically the same. You will not notice it on the street, only on a dynochart. 100-200rpms slower max iirc.

6266-vs-6466-vs-6766-dyno-graphs-inside-62vs64vs67.jpg

Reactions: Nick380

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Is there any particular reason more people aren't going with BW EFR's? Between the bb chra and the TiAl turbine wheels, it doesn't seem like any other similar sized turbo would be able to touch it regarding spool and responsiveness. I know they're expensive, but they seem like they'd be worth it.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Is there any particular reason more people aren't going with BW EFR's? Between the bb chra and the TiAl turbine wheels, it doesn't seem like any other similar sized turbo would be able to touch it regarding spool and responsiveness. I know they're expensive, but they seem like they'd be worth it.

Size, they are very large. But yes that would be a very nice turbo to use. or a water cooled new garret. Their new line looks sweet!

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Id Go with a xona rotor before bw efr but they only make them in t3 and v band . Get the 6466 you won't regret it

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus