Plugs (95770 v. 97506), gaps, and the N54

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Thank you for the great information and discussion here. I'm looking forward to the updates as you continue testing.

I've been using 95770 plugs at .022 since FBO (stock turbos), e54, and Bosch coils without misfires or timing corrections (made 480whp/550tq). Since going ST 1k miles ago, I have not touched the coils or plugs yet, but now have corrections up-top; no misfires. I'm only running e30 at 21-22psi so may be fuel related. I ordered a set of 95706 to give those a shot, but have little expectations. In case anyone wants to order 95706 (SILZKBR8D8S), Amazon has a pretty good deal going: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQH2QAN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Being as Prime isn't available from this seller, I wont have them installed for a week or more. I'll report back on any changes to misfires or corrections.
Amazon out of stock.
Is $84.49 for a set of four cheap? $21/ea seems expensive.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I just installed my s55 plugs I can't believe how dirty some of my threads were and how bad the seats were. Bmw is the last one that touched they prob don't clean the seat but I also don't believe the crush washers seal a second time cause I put ms109 in and still got corrections with my 95770s that have been in and out a few times
Yep. I think those aluminum crush washers are use once. In fact, honestly, we all know they are use once. There is no doubt about that. Whether the plugs seal up or not is a subjective thing.

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Yep. I think those aluminum crush washers are use once. In fact, honestly, we all know they are use once. There is no doubt about that. Whether the plugs seal up or not is a subjective thing.

Filippo
I am scared to even remove to gap down to .026 from stock s55 and also clean the spark plug well better as I was using a towel dipped in gasoline wrapped on an extension and couldnt get it perfect. What do you guys think about a dab of permatex on the washer of plug?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Long medical q-tip on a wooden stick would be good. I tried a grab tool and small patch (cloth or blue paper towel) soaked in carb cleaner. I sprayed a bit of carb cleaner down and let it sit. Gentle scrape with a carburetor (long) screwdriver helped with the hard bits. It was literally carbon build up for me. No valve cover oil leak as it was only at the base. I'll inspect from here forward now that I know it is clean. The 97506 have a copper washer that is not the same aluminum construction of the 95770. But I have not switched ... yet.

Filippo

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I am scared to even remove to gap down to .026 from stock s55 and also clean the spark plug well better as I was using a towel dipped in gasoline wrapped on an extension and couldnt get it perfect. What do you guys think about a dab of permatex on the washer of plug?
Is it misfiring? I wouldn't put anything in that well that isn't supposed to be there. If it can't stand the heat over time and any detaches, it's going right in the cyl the next time you pull the plug.

Long medical q-tip on a wooden stick would be good. I tried a grab tool and small patch (cloth or blue paper towel) soaked in carb cleaner. I sprayed a bit of carb cleaner down and let it sit. Gentle scrape with a carburetor (long) screwdriver helped with the hard bits. It was literally carbon build up for me. No valve cover oil leak as it was only at the base. I'll inspect from here forward now that I know it is clean. The 97506 have a copper washer that is not the same aluminum construction of the 95770. But I have not switched ... yet.

Filippo
+1. S55 plugs are also a solid washer, not the double-walled type like the 95770s.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Is it misfiring? I wouldn't put anything in that well that isn't supposed to be there. If it can't stand the heat over time and any detaches, it's going right in the cyl the next time you pull the plug.

+1. S55 plugs are also a solid washer, not the double-walled type like the 95770s.
No misfire but everyone recommending smaller gap and a few plugs had filthy washer all dry but that scares me. I did feel slight catching on some threads and one plug was finger tight. I went to 19 lb instead of 17 but almost want to lube the threads to make sure I get proper clamping force. I am too nervous to clean threads and drop stuff into cylinder but this is second time 95770s came loose on me. The car feels more powerful with less pedal but I also feel very slight nvh if accelerating wot from 1500rpm. Like a resonance that causes vibration you hear but barely feel in cabin if don't know if it's the extra torque or if could be partial burn and I should gap down , either way I know I shouldnt floor it off idle but was logging and trying to test for misfires.

Is what I describe normal or should i tighten gap these are s55 at stock gap .031 I verified gap and they came back as a hair tighter than .031.

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
What you feel is probably the greater combustion combined with high load, low rpm. That's ripe for super knock like that, so, yes, definitely keep any testing like that to a minimum. You'll have larger flame much quicker in the lean areas with the larger gap.

If it's not misfiring or having other issues, I wouldn't gap them smaller for no reason. Maybe there's something with the aftermarket coils I'm not aware of, but I'd run mine over .040" if I could (never tried). Mine were all closer to .030 than .031 when I checked them new also.

If plugs are working themselves loose to just finger tight over time, definitely not enough torque and may be contributing to stuff collecting on the seats in addition to potential firing problems. I'd err on the side of higher torque and making sure they stay seated rather than getting them within .01Nm of recommended spec. On the solid washers, I always use a torque wrench and I generally dial in an extra 1-2 ft-lbs. For the double wall washers, I do hand tight + 90° turn and never had issues with any ever coming loose on any car.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Now I feel like a noob has anyone experienced minor misfire and not had a code or ses light? On this platform Any time I experienced a misfire I got codes but was always consistent where cylinder shut off. I'm just curious if or when is sensitive to the point where a single misfire event would trigger anything I know I would feel it but I'm wondering about incomplete burn etc.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I haven't the faintest, but I'd take a guess it probably needs to trip to set a code, unless there's a counter for less severe instances and eventually codes on a limit? If there are even minor actual misfires, I would expect to see an out of place AFR during the event whether a code sets or not though.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I posted a similar question...

Thread...
Thanks I kept searching what misfire looks like on log but only way I ever have actually personally seen is with afr on wot pull I don't think I have ever been able to see it when looking at partial throttle logs its like the emporers new clothes I feel but maybe that's the point that the logs look fine and they are getting misfires?

AZN54

Private
Nov 18, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Amazon out of stock.
Is $84.49 for a set of four cheap? $21/ea seems expensive.

When I provided the link, it was $20 for a set of 4. I ordered two sets and upon receiving them, there was only two plugs in the package. This also happened to three others buddies. Apparently the company made a mistake in posting them as a set of 4 at the $20, rather than $20 each. They quickly changed the ad to the $84.49 shortly after it was brought to light. They said they will be shipping out the remainder 6 plugs; we will see.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92
Surprised nobody orders them at your local auto parts store, have them add to inventory, and then buys online with coupons. I got my 95770 for 60 bucks including tax. And could probably get the 97506 for 20-30% off.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Ecs was 46 bucks for s55 I cant see not using them over 95770. I would either go factory Bosch quad tip or s55 the other plugs all vary in length slightly.

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
can anyone explain why I'm getting stumbling cold starts with brand new 97506 and eldor coils? i started with a gap of .020 and it actually threw misfire codes during cold start so i closed the gap to .018 and now it just stumbles. other than cold start it runs great ..no misfires up top etc. for testing purposes i threw in my old original coils and bmw plugs and waited to do another cold start test the following morning .... cold start was smooth as butter however it could not handle the N54 FBO PS2 when laying into it and broke up. where is the happy median here..... my 95770 also gave me cold start stumbles.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
can anyone explain why I'm getting stumbling cold starts with brand new 97506 and eldor coils? i started with a gap of .020 and it actually threw misfire codes during cold start so i closed the gap to .018 and now it just stumbles. other than cold start it runs great ..no misfires up top etc. for testing purposes i threw in my old original coils and bmw plugs and waited to do another cold start test the following morning .... cold start was smooth as butter however it could not handle the N54 FBO PS2 when laying into it and broke up. where is the happy median here..... my 95770 also gave me cold start stumbles.

I don't think I could diagnose anything from remote. When I get misfires or anything weird, I replace suspected parts and it goes away. So now, if I get say a misfire from using .030 NGK plugs, I know it is the plug gap and not anything else...because literally EVERYTHING - from engine to transmission is pretty much new. You name a part, it has been replaced. Yes...I am insane. Yes, even screws, nuts and bolts...new. Walnut blast, stock parts all upgraded like Charge Pipes, etc...

That been said, I return to my previous comment... there's no way to tell what's up without inspecting all related parts to the misfire... could be walnut blast needed to injectors or tune... who knows.

Msport335

Corporal
Jun 7, 2018
I don't think I could diagnose anything from remote. When I get misfires or anything weird, I replace suspected parts and it goes away. So now, if I get say a misfire from using .030 NGK plugs, I know it is the plug gap and not anything else...because literally EVERYTHING - from engine to transmission is pretty much new. You name a part, it has been replaced. Yes...I am insane. Yes, even screws, nuts and bolts...new. Walnut blast, stock parts all upgraded like Charge Pipes, etc...

That been said, I return to my previous comment... there's no way to tell what's up without inspecting all related parts to the misfire... could be walnut blast needed to injectors or tune... who knows.

everything new here as well....walnut blast was done about a month ago as well

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
What injectors are you running? I'm wondering about leaks ...

Filippo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
He said his stock old plugs are smooth I would either go new stock plugs or s55 plugs. The 97506 night be to cold for cold start. You could also enable cold start noise reduction and see if that helps

Reactions: fmorelli and RSL