Technical Please someone help otherwise my N54 is going to the junkyard :(

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
Hey all

I have posted in the past but got unlucky with no result or answers.

The issue I'm having is, I'm getting a 2A99 code with 3100 code and sometimes 2A87 error in MHD.

These codes had popped up straight after I've done my valve cover gasket and also PCV valve, I did overtighten the PCV valve and cracked the PCV inner hole but I did seal it with JB Weld and holds good.

I have no idea why the codes are still coming up, I have done

VANOS clean and swap (Still Exhaust VANOS no matter what)
New Cover gasket
New FTP Motorsport PCV valve
2x Oil changes with Penrite oil 5W-40 Full synthetic oil
2x Oil filter cap not separated.

I had did a mistake by putting gasket maker over the top of the old actual gasket and I don't know if some of that gasket maker got into the engine itself but this is before the oil changes. So I did all that and still gets codes. I even swapped good VANOS's into the car that I know work (From my 130i E87) and still came up..

Anybody have ANY idea what's going on, timing chain wouldn't of slipped either because the chain itself is tight and in good quality.

Cheers!

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
I had a similar issue where 2a87 kept popping up despite having my vanos replaced and it turned out to be my cam ledge.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I would start with buying a new VC and installing it. It may not fix your problems but that VC jobs sounds a bit fucky.

Buy new vanos, don't just clean and swap them. I know people claim it works but I have seen it tried trice and never once worked. 3100 and 2A87 are often vanos related.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The VANOS swap still complaining about the same exhaust side VANOS tells me the VANOS solenoids are likely fine and your issue is most likely the exhaust-side cam ledge. I have heard about people actually cleaning up the ledge and reinstalling it, though I don't understand how that works. The 3100 is likely along for the ride, and a side-effect.

That said, @Torgus is probably on point - a glued up cam cover is not a desirable thing. Last thing an N54 owner needs is questionable situations that create diagnostic nightmares. But I would investigate the cam ledge and put money in as you solve (instead of buying everything up front).

Replacing a BMW valve cover gasket is not a simple activity. Only places you put gasket RTV are:
- where there is a sharp corner
- where there is a metal junction (e.g., timing cover to head)
- small dollops to hold the gasket in place for installation. In this case thoroughly brake clean and wipe dry the valve cover gasket slot, put small RTV dollops every several inches in the groove, install the gasket and press in place (you can lay the cover gasket side down on a flat surface and put something of weight on the valve cover so the gasket is well pressed in), let the RTV set so it holds the gasket.

When you install the valve cover you want to make absolutely sure you clear anything with the gasket (so it doesn't catch) at the back of the motor. Make sure the gasket is in place correctly. This is part of the reason for using the RTV dollops to hold everything in place.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
I would start with buying a new VC and installing it. It may not fix your problems but that VC jobs sounds a bit fucky.

Buy new vanos, don't just clean and swap them. I know people claim it works but I have seen it tried trice and never once worked. 3100 and 2A87 are often vanos related.
Hey, yeah thanks for the advice! I had done a test on the vanos and they are a bit weird but nothing crazy, I don't think it would be my VANOS considering it's only exhaust vanos that comes up even though I swapped intake to exhaust which is "Working" and still comes up as exhaust. But yeah I will actually replace them anyhow as it will need to be replaced down the line.

Thanks again! :)

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
The VANOS swap still complaining about the same exhaust side VANOS tells me the VANOS solenoids are likely fine and your issue is most likely the exhaust-side cam ledge. I have heard about people actually cleaning up the ledge and reinstalling it, though I don't understand how that works. The 3100 is likely along for the ride, and a side-effect.

That said, @Torgus is probably on point - a glued up cam cover is not a desirable thing. Last thing an N54 owner needs is questionable situations that create diagnostic nightmares. But I would investigate the cam ledge and put money in as you solve (instead of buying everything up front).

Replacing a BMW valve cover gasket is not a simple activity. Only places you put gasket RTV are:
- where there is a sharp corner
- where there is a metal junction (e.g., timing cover to head)
- small dollops to hold the gasket in place for installation. In this case thoroughly brake clean and wipe dry the valve cover gasket slot, put small RTV dollops every several inches in the groove, install the gasket and press in place (you can lay the cover gasket side down on a flat surface and put something of weight on the valve cover so the gasket is well pressed in), let the RTV set so it holds the gasket.

When you install the valve cover you want to make absolutely sure you clear anything with the gasket (so it doesn't catch) at the back of the motor. Make sure the gasket is in place correctly. This is part of the reason for using the RTV dollops to hold everything in place.
Hey,

Ahh, I had start to think about the ledge. Because I had forgotten to mention, I have work lights that hang from the hood when I work on the car but it had fallen one time onto my valve cover and smashed a hole in the front of the valve cover with little black plastic pieces going everywhere, so I'm wondering if some got stuck in the ledges maybe? I'll take it off and have a look..

I do have an interesting question to ask though, when I was doing my oil changes to hopefully fix the issue, I noticed my oil housing took a LONG time to drain, it took like over 5 minutes where usually it drains instantly with a little bit of oil at the bottom left over, this is happening during the situation as well, so wondering if there's a filter or something that may be blocked?

Yeah it was a mistake on my behalf doing the gasket maker on the old gasket, thought it would be a simple solution but it just wasn't worth while keeping it like that.

- I had checked my non return valves and they are super clean, gave them a good clean as well.

Do really appreciate your thoughts, I'll check the ledges, if not I'll replace them.

Zetra

Lurker
Aug 31, 2020
Check the oil filter basket, im not very good speaking english, and everything related to your oil filter

Reactions: jzx_andy

BSlothed

Private
Jan 21, 2023
Check the oil filter basket, im not very good speaking english, and everything related to your oil filter
Hey,

Oh okay, are you talking about the oil filter in the oil housing? If so, that's been replaced already and the middle stem thing is still intact with the oil housing lid.