Persistent high rpm cylinder 5 misfires/shutdown (fuelmode 15)

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.

Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Oof, I get consistent misfires when I redline it as well. Wedge told me to go with BL coils. It worries me that you STILL have misfires with the coils. :(

Sorry I don't have much to add other than a "me too". I avoid redline now, but accidentally hit it on the straight of NOLA Motorsports on Saturday... had to limp all the way around the track to pit. :(

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Double check your electrical connectors on your ignition system. I had a bent prong on my #4 PR coil connector causing misfires that took weeks to find.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54

Last edited:

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Ask Wedge to turn misfire detection above 6300 rpm off. Test with your Buttmeter. You will feel a misifre and for the sake of testing it is not really a harmful thing.
You did everything to solve possible real misfires. But you simply may have phantom misfire.

Reactions: NoGuru

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54

Last edited:

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Turning Misfire Detection off is a 10 second effort.

But okay. If you are stuck on Fuel Mode 15 you have something going on.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Fuel mode 6 indicates a problem too, that's component protection mode. Fuel mode 15 is emergency run so probably a result of the issue rather than the cause.

In that first log your HPFP is all over the place. I'd start with getting to the bottom of that issue first.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54

Last edited:

Tonyyycadena

Sep 18, 2020
Yeah its a scored cylinder wall. I don't know when it happened/started happening. Cold compression is still the same so it might have happed a long time ago before. Perhaps even before I got the car. It's only noticable at 20psi+ high rpm.

Currently putting options on paper but i'm leaning towards partout.

have you found what’s causing the fuel mode? i’ve been researching and apparently it’s a lost connection between the O2 sensors and the DME once the car hits high RPM.