PD transmission valvebody innards wear and tear before sonnax

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Here is a video of the wear and tear of a valvebody that was supposed to be updated by Herb (hermann...whatever his name is) in Georgia at European Transmissions. That dude is a dick by the way. Stuck up arrogant and will never admit to being wrong. This valve body came off my PD transmission and was supposed to be updated. I was not satisfied with the shift quality and suspected the valve body, torque converter, and solenoids were all un-updated. So I inspect all thise components and updated the myself. I was correct on all accounts.

So far the clutches and bushings are still holding and no slippage. IF after upgrading to bigger turbos and it slips then we will know that I paid for a plain jane transmission and Eurotrans did nothing to make is a PD unit.

Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Have you contacted PD about it yet? From my understanding, they're supposed to be official partners so maybe PD would be willing to do a partial refund or something along those lines. It'd really suck if you paid all that money for a barely changed transmission.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Have you contacted PD about it yet? From my understanding, they're supposed to be official partners so maybe PD would be willing to do a partial refund or something along those lines. It'd really suck if you paid all that money for a barely changed transmission.

It does suck. I am on constant contact with Jason and he is aware of all things. No offer to compensate for anything. At this point I have no desire to deal with it if it is not offered. I will keep it mind and whatever happens happens. If anyone asks about PD I will simply report my experience.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
This is an update. After installing and filling up the transmission with atf and with the updated valve body, shifts are now factory. Cannot tell shifts...this is how smooth the transmission is. In rising or decreasing gears, the trans is now as it should be from factory.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
This is an update. After installing and filling up the transmission with atf and with the updated valve body, shifts are now factory. Cannot tell shifts...this is how smooth the transmission is. In rising or decreasing gears, the trans is now as it should be from factory.
...it feels factory in a good way, hopefully? Or do you still think you just got a remanufactured stock trans?

Hopefully you meant it in the first way, and if so do you plan on trying xHP stage 3 again? Now that they offer shift speed increases and just releases an update with higher line pressures I'd really be interested in how a PD trans works in combination with xHP.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
...it feels factory in a good way, hopefully? Or do you still think you just got a remanufactured stock trans?

Hopefully you meant it in the first way, and if so do you plan on trying xHP stage 3 again? Now that they offer shift speed increases and just releases an update with higher line pressures I'd really be interested in how a PD trans works in combination with xHP.

For me, whenever I say "feels like factory" that is a good thing. So it's not a unit that is shifting ridiculously violent, jerky or late. Now, I just flashed xHP Stage two and am going to try to see if a week's adaptation will yield better results than last time. If after a week it is good, then I will re-install xHP Stage 3 and see if it works. On Stage 3 xHP, I don't expect factory quality performance, that is just unreasonable. But I do expect no more lurching, jerking or hestitations on wot.

so far, stage 2 xHP is performing better than before I updated the valvebody. So I will keep my fingers crossed for next week.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
For me, whenever I say "feels like factory" that is a good thing. So it's not a unit that is shifting ridiculously violent, jerky or late. Now, I just flashed xHP Stage two and am going to try to see if a week's adaptation will yield better results than last time. If after a week it is good, then I will re-install xHP Stage 3 and see if it works. On Stage 3 xHP, I don't expect factory quality performance, that is just unreasonable. But I do expect no more lurching, jerking or hestitations on wot.

so far, stage 2 xHP is performing better than before I updated the valvebody. So I will keep my fingers crossed for next week.
In regards to the stage 3 thing - what do you consider jerky or lurching? Hopefully you mean the "lag-slip-SHIFT!" thing. Because on stage 3 with increased shift speeds I certainly feel like my car is getting a boot to the ass under WOT, which to me is a good thing, but I know others have said to them that feeling is "jerky".

If you're looking for smooth but fast(er) I'd say you're definitely going to need the customization module if running stage 3 so you can slow/make the shifts a bit more comfortable. Otherwise you'd probably have to go with a custom trans tune unfortunately.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
In regards to the stage 3 thing - what do you consider jerky or lurching? Hopefully you mean the "lag-slip-SHIFT!" thing. Because on stage 3 with increased shift speeds I certainly feel like my car is getting a boot to the ass under WOT, which to me is a good thing, but I know others have said to them that feeling is "jerky".

If you're looking for smooth but fast(er) I'd say you're definitely going to need the customization module if running stage 3 so you can slow/make the shifts a bit more comfortable. Otherwise you'd probably have to go with a custom trans tune unfortunately.

Under Xhp stage 3 previously, the car would lurch and jerk upon wot shifting. Especially 4th to 5th gear...my head would literally snap forward then back. It was not normal. I am still adapting drive on stage 3 now after the sonnax kit update. So far, under normal driving it seems smoother than before, a couple of times I went on the pedal and shifted it was rough shifting, but not lurching so that's a good sign. ANYTHING is better than before see video:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Did they send you a calibration sheet?

Nope. Clemens offered to do a custom calibration and after I sent logs he just wrote back and said, "you're stuck with stock flash." No explanation, no options, nothing... like he was pissed off at me for some weird reason.

Stock PD flash is butter smooth but not quick shifting. So looks like I bought xHp for nothing since they don't know how to do custom calibrations for my car.

Eh..whatever. fuck it. I have better things to do than waste my time with people who don't want to help. They get 100% respect from me at first and it their actions that keep that trust or destroy it.

I can only report what happened in my case. I am sure they have lots of happy customers and I happen to be an anomaly.

Doesn't help that I paid for something that I did not get when delivered. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Ya but level 10 had happy customers to I know that pe is way better and this isn't Jason's fault. My issue is I purchased a pd kit and was undecided on the install Jason rec euro trans so everything is upgraded but I don't want be in same boat as you. Is it possible they refreshed valve body with stock parts and just anything that was in spec was reused or does it seem like wasnt touched? I'm wondering if I can spec ask and pay for a sonnax kit but I want to get clarification cause if they spec charged you for a zip kit then that's wrong and I dont want to support a dishonest shop. I know I prob could get proper job since I would be letting them know I am aware of your situation but it's more the lack of candor.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Ya but level 10 had happy customers to I know that pe is way better and this isn't Jason's fault. My issue is I purchased a pd kit and was undecided on the install Jason rec euro trans so everything is upgraded but I don't want be in same boat as you. Is it possible they refreshed valve body with stock parts and just anything that was in spec was reused or does it seem like wasnt touched? I'm wondering if I can spec ask and pay for a sonnax kit but I want to get clarification cause if they spec charged you for a zip kit then that's wrong and I dont want to support a dishonest shop. I know I prob could get proper job since I would be letting them know I am aware of your situation but it's more the lack of candor.

I expected a custom upgraded trans... as told to me... upgraded bushings, clutch discs, torque converter, valve body and custom TCU program to handle the power... so far- i had to replace the torque converter, solenoid set, and upgrade the valve body innards with sonnax kit...all myself amd had to pay for shipping to and fro the first time to fix a bad planetary gear set. If these things are to go by... i doubt I have anything but a regular trans with all stock parts that simply has not yet failed due to fresh parts.

There is nothing jason can do to make eurotrans make it right. And at this moment, they would not do it anyways since they will claim I took the thing apart and that voids warranty.

Herb is dishonest and a crook. That's all there is. And his acts make Jason look bad. Yes jason should offer something but what do I want to do? Bankrupt the one man shop?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That's so messed up . I don't know what to do now I spent 1200 already and thought I was going to have kit sent to me instead Jason said euro trans has it and to send my trans in .I never asked for that but he said this way I save shipping which I didn't really care about cause I have to send my tranny anyway. Now im worried about what they will use and if I try to get my kit I wont be able to tell if anything is really upgraded .I really hope somehow the right thing gets done for you and I'm not out 1200 dollars either.
Def want make clear im pretty sure if was all up to Jason you would have gotten everything you expected.

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
That's so messed up . I don't know what to do now I spent 1200 already and thought I was going to have kit sent to me instead Jason said euro trans has it and to send my trans in .I never asked for that but he said this way I save shipping which I didn't really care about cause I have to send my tranny anyway. Now im worried about what they will use and if I try to get my kit I wont be able to tell if anything is really upgraded .I really hope somehow the right thing gets done for you and I'm not out 1200 dollars either.

Exactly what did you order? And what was promised?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Exactly what did you order? And what was promised?
I ordered the pd kit which Is the upgraded clutches and bushings I believe not sure what else it has and then euro trans supposed to install calibrate and update valve body , tc, etc basically a full rebuilt obviously that Is a separate charge of 2500. I asked if that included everything or if I needed valve body or zip kit and was told no that Is basically a all new unit including upgraded converter and dyno calibrated. But end result is 1200 I paid plus 2500 more supposed to be soup to nuts I wouldn't expect a refurb approach and reuse in spec wear items. I would expect rebuilt with new wear items.

Last edited:

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I ordered the pd kit which Is the upgraded clutches and bushings I believe not sure what else it has and then euro trans supposed to install calibrate and update valve body , tc, etc basically a full rebuilt obviously that Is a separate charge of 2500. I asked if that included everything or if I needed valve body or zip kit and was told no that Is basically a all new unit including upgraded converter and dyno calibrated. But end result is 1200 I paid plus 2500 more supposed to be soup to nuts I wouldn't expect a refurb approach and reuse in spec wear items. I would expect rebuilt with new wear items.

Send that Herb son of a bitch my valve body video link. Tell him I told him to go fuck himself.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
See history of this PD trans bullshit.

Noise from planetary gear, with stethoscope inspection.

Shipping to Herb, with demonstration of fucked up noise due to them using old parts (rear planetary gear set - sent to them and they corrected it, but should not have use old parts in the first place.)

Loose torque converter reported to Herb with ZERO reply about it. So I replaced it after I got the transmission back from their repair...which the motherfuckers didn't even pay for shipping.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I asked about valve body and they said they don't use sonnax only OEM lol I also am trying to get them to install the pd unit without doing converter especially cause Jason said their is no benefit and your experience scares the living shit out of me