PROMO Nexsys Motorsport N54 Ignition Coil Upgrade Kit

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
I would like to avoid using the adapters. Could you sell me the pins and plugs so that I can chop off the ends of the stock harness and convert to these directly ? ( also including the bracket (obviously) for m18 valve cover :)

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
I would like to avoid using the adapters. Could you sell me the pins and plugs so that I can chop off the ends of the stock harness and convert to these directly ? ( also including the bracket (obviously) for m18 valve cover :)
Sure can! On our website just select the "Connectors and Terminals Only" option.

1613482618337.png

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Apologies if I missed the answer above...

Can these be run with OE S55 plugs?

Or are we limited to B58 plugs due to terminal shape.

Reactions: houtan

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Are you still on track to start shipping stock valve cover kits on 22 Feb? Will the black anodizing add another 2 weeks to the ship time?
Still on track to begin shipping stock valve cover kits next week! I have some out for anodizing right now that should be back by late next week or early the following week.
Apologies if I missed the answer above...

Can these be run with OE S55 plugs?

Or are we limited to B58 plugs due to terminal shape.
OE plugs can be ran, the boots are spring style and work with rounded and flat terminal plugs.

Raptor04

Lurker
May 15, 2020
Still on track to begin shipping stock valve cover kits next week! I have some out for anodizing right now that should be back by late next week or early the following week.

OE plugs can be ran, the boots are spring style and work with rounded and flat terminal plugs.
So no issues with using the NGK 95706 2 step colder plugs with the b58 coils? Is there any benefit to using the b58 plugs vs the 95706 plugs?

Raptor04

Lurker
May 15, 2020
The N54 app update with support for these has been pushed to their respective app stores :)
What changes in the app to support these coils? Is it the dwell time that is adjusted in the flash tune when the upgraded coil option is checked?

Raptor04

Lurker
May 15, 2020
Yes its the dwell time :)
Thanks. Is the dwell time a static number or does it change based on dme request?. Just curious if we end up using a max 3.2ms, 3.0ms, or less dwell time with the b58 plugs to understand if we are getting max power out of the upgraded coils as shown in your test.

Last edited:

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Thanks for the update. Do you know if the e series N55 app will get updated as well?
Bump. Anyone know when or if the mhd app will be updated for early e series n55 so we can use this mod?

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Thanks. Is the dwell time a static number or does it change based on dme request?. Just curious if we end up using a max 3.2ms, 3.0ms, or less dwell time with the b58 plugs to understand if we are getting max power out of the upgraded coils as shown in your test.
The dwell table is not static as higher energy is not needed at idle and will instead reduce spark plug life. To find a good balance we ramp up dwell time above 2500 RPM, PR does the same with their dwell table ramping from 4.5 - 4.8 ms as RPM increases.
Bump. Anyone know when or if the mhd app will be updated for early e series n55 so we can use this mod?
As soon as I release the N55 version for pre-order MHD will start adding it into the N55 app's. I will be releasing the N55 version for pre-order next week.
Thanks, is the pinout available anywhere ?
Super simple connector on the B58 coil side you have Pin 1, 2 and 3 (These are labeled on the connector as well).

For attaching to the N54 harness:

Pin #1 will be orange, Pin #2 will be brown and Pin #3 will be your white w/stripe wire.

1613747054948.png

rayrobot

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Ride
335xi
Hi can you clarify on what you mean by "This kit comes with new ignition coil boots that are longer than the stock boots. These longer boots are a requirement for cars running stock or VTT valve covers and increases the price of this kit slightly. "

Are we talking about the boots on the b58 coil itself? They need to be replaced? Do you have pictures of that?

Thanks

Reactions: bahn

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Hi can you clarify on what you mean by "This kit comes with new ignition coil boots that are longer than the stock boots. These longer boots are a requirement for cars running stock or VTT valve covers and increases the price of this kit slightly. "

Are we talking about the boots on the b58 coil itself? They need to be replaced? Do you have pictures of that?

Thanks
Yes the B58 coil boots are not long enough for the stock/vtt valve covers and therefor need replaced. The boots come off by pulling and twisting (they're designed to be replaced). The new boots included in our kits are made from silicone and use a spring style contact.