PROMO Nexsys Motorsport N54 Ignition Coil Upgrade Kit

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Hey there everyone, I recently performed an analysis of inductive secondary spark energy on multiple ignition coils and found the stock BMW B58 coils to be quite phenomenal. If you haven't seen that analysis I highly recommend you take a look at it here. Compared to the stock N54/N55 ignition coils the B58 coils are capable of producing 2x the energy output while providing a longer spark duration than the Precision Raceworks N54/N55 coils. The B58 coils are a coil on plug design that removes the need for additional spark plug wires and utilizes the same mounting location as the stock coils providing excellent clearance for top mount setups. To mount the B58 coils onto the N54 engine I've developed a billet aluminum bracket that's Made in the USA. In addition to excellent fitment, our N54 Ignition Coil Kit with coils fitted weighs only 3.9 lbs. That's 47% less than the Precision Raceworks kit. To make installation easier I've designed plug and play connectors that are made with nylon and Made in the USA. To keep installation clean I've added cut outs for passing the coil harness through and radius's have been chamfered on both sides. Our kits allows the factory engine covers to be used.

At this time our M18 Performance kits are ready to ship and our kit that fits Stock & VTT valve covers is now available for pre-order! We expect to begin shipping the stock & VTT valve cover version the last week of February and will only have limited quantities to start so get your order in soon!

In addition N55/S55 brackets are in production and are expected to be available for pre-order shortly.

M18 Performance Version:
M18_2.jpeg

M18_1.jpeg

Stock/VTT Valve cover version:
image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg

The kit can be ordered in a couple different configurations and pricing varies depending on configuration. The plug and play kit is for those who want a simple installation while the non-plug & play kit is for those who want to re-pin their factory harness for a clean minimalist look.

Orders can be placed on our website: https://nexsysmotorsport.com

Kits for M18 Valve Cover's (Aluminum & Carbon Fiber): - Order yours here!
  • Raw billet aluminum bracket with plug & play connector harness - $289
    • 1x Raw billet aluminum bracket
    • 6x Plug & Play ignition coil harnesses
  • Raw billet aluminum bracket without plug & play harness - $249
    • 6x B58 ignition coil connectors
    • 24x B58 ignition coil female terminals and seals
Kits for Stock or VTT Valve Covers: - Pre-order yours here!
  • Raw billet aluminum bracket with plug & play connector harness - $299
    • 6x Longer ignition coil boots to fit stock & VTT valve covers
  • Raw billet aluminum bracket without plug & play harness - $259
    • 24x B58 ignition coil female terminals and seals
    • 6x Longer ignition coil boots to fit stock & VTT valve covers
Black anodizing is available for the above configurations for an additional $11 but will increase lead-time by two weeks

Kits do not come with B58 coils at this time, you will need to provide those yourself. The B58 ignition coils (OE Part #'s: 12138643360, 12138678438, 12138647463, 12137619385) are typically $36 - 42/each and are available from FCP Euro with their lifetime warranty. If you're feeling cheap I've seen sets of used coils on ebay/forums for around $150.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• Image_7.jpg
    Image_7.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3,069
Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Need more photos. Also, how does this stack up with the plugs, as in, are the plugs accessible rapidly or does the whole bracket have to be removed first like the PR N54 kit?

mikeseli

Corporal
May 23, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Do the B58 coils snap/click on the spark plug like the N54 coils do? I don’t want this to be an issue like with the R8 coils.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Are the B58 coils the same length/depth to spark plug tip as stock N54? This is a problem the R8 coils had. Hopefully B58 is correct depth.

Filippo

Reactions: _Calle_

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Do the B58 coils snap/click on the spark plug like the N54 coils do? I don’t want this to be an issue like with the R8 coils.
Yea my PR coils do not snap on they all seat at different tensions. Only 1 snaps on the rest have no seated tension all are removed with different tension.

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
Hey there everyone, I recently performed an analysis of inductive secondary spark energy on multiple ignition coils and found the stock BMW B58 coils to be quite phenomenal. If you haven't seen that analysis I highly recommend you take a look at it here. Compared to the stock N54/N55 ignition coils the B58 coils are capable of producing 2x the energy output while providing a longer spark duration than the Precision Raceworks N54/N55 coils. The B58 coils are a coil on plug design that removes the need for additional spark plug wires and utilizes the same mounting location as the stock coils providing excellent clearance for top mount setups. To mount the B58 coils onto the N54 engine I've developed a billet aluminum bracket that's Made in the USA. In addition to excellent fitment, our N54 Ignition Coil Kit with coils fitted weighs only 3.9 lbs. That's 47% less than the Precision Raceworks kit. To make installation easier I've designed plug and play connectors that are made with nylon and Made in the USA. To keep installation clean I've added cut outs for passing the coil harness through and radius's have been chamfered on both sides.

At this time I'm are taking orders for kits that fit the M18 Performance valve covers. These kits will be shipping the first week of February. Kits for Stock/VTT valve covers will be available for pre-order shortly with shipments going out the week of valentines day. In addition N55/S55 brackets are in production and are expected to be available for pre-order shortly.

View attachment 48481
View attachment 48482
View attachment 48483

The kit can be ordered in a couple different configurations and pricing varies depending on configuration. The plug and play kit is for those who want a simple installation while the non-plug & play kit is for those who want to re-pin their factory harness for a clean minimalist look.

Orders can be placed on our website: https://nexsysmotorsport.com/n54-ignition-coil-upgrade

Kits for M18 Valve Cover's (Aluminum & Carbon Fiber):
  • Raw billet aluminum bracket with plug & play connector harness - $289

• Raw billet aluminum bracket without plug & play harness - $249
    • 36x B58 ignition coil female terminals & seals.

Black anodizing is available for the above configurations for an additional $11 but will increase lead-time to mid-February.

Kits do not come with B58 coils at this time, you will need to provide those yourself. The B58 ignition coils (OE Part #'s: 12138643360, 12138678438, 12138647463, 12137619385) are typically $36 - 42/each and are available from FCP Euro with their lifetime warranty. If you're feeling cheap I've seen sets of used coils on ebay/forums for around $150.

Let me know if you have any questions.

As I understand it, from Precision Raceworks. One of the issues with fitting higher power coils such as the B58 ones, is the current draw from the ECU. With such a short dwell time and a high output capacity, the current may exceed the capabilities of the stock ECU output driver stage. And whilst a short dwell time, may aid high RPM motorcycle engines, I wonder if it is any advantage to a blown 3 ltr car engine. It would be interesting to see the current /time ( A/ms) data for both sets of coils. Precision Raceworks rate theirs at 2.44A/ms, but I was unable to locate any data on the Nexsys web page for this information on the B58 coils ?.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Tried ordering on the website for Stock/VTT and you can’t order them.
@e92_Jay the stock/vtt valve cover options are not available for preorder yet. I should have them available for preorder within the next week.
Need more photos. Also, how does this stack up with the plugs, as in, are the plugs accessible rapidly or does the whole bracket have to be removed first like the PR N54 kit?
@ShocknAwe more photos are on the way. Plugs are easily changed without removing the bracket as each coil is individually bolted to the bracket. To change the spark plugs simply remove the bolt and pull the coil out. With the coil out there's access through our bracket to remove the spark plugs.
@mikeseli The B58 coils are not of the "snap" type but of a spring contact type. I'm placing the coils low enough to obtain a full 10mm of compression on the spring. Contact from coil output to spark plug is not an issue with this setup.
Yeah, the black, stock selection isn’t working.
@Shaw0523 the stock/vtt valve cover options are not available for preorder yet. I should have them available for preorder within the next week.
Are the B58 coils the same length/depth to spark plug tip as stock N54? This is a problem the R8 coils had. Hopefully B58 is correct depth.

Filippo
@fmorelli Thanks for the question. The B58 coil boots are not the same length as the N54 coils, instead they are shorter. That said I am mounting the coils lower to make up the difference and for platforms where that is not possible (N/S55 due to the fuel injector/ignition coil insert design) the kit will come with longer boots :). The B58 coils use a spring type contact instead of a clip type. The contact inside the stock N54/N55 coil is 33mm from the end of the boot to the back face of the snap. The spring contact inside the B58 coil's is ~23mm meaning we have 10mm of compression on the spring contact from spark plug engagement. When designing these kits I wanted to make sure the community didn't have another R8 coil situation so I took that into consideration.
As I understand it, from Precision Raceworks. One of the issues with fitting higher power coils such as the B58 ones, is the current draw from the ECU. With such a short dwell time and a high output capacity, the current may exceed the capabilities of the stock ECU output driver stage. And whilst a short dwell time, may aid high RPM motorcycle engines, I wonder if it is any advantage to a blown 3 ltr car engine. It would be interesting to see the current /time ( A/ms) data for both sets of coils. Precision Raceworks rate theirs at 2.44A/ms, but I was unable to locate any data on the Nexsys web page for this information on the B58 coils ?.
@Blue Lighting Take a look at my thermal study here. I tested different coils and their effects on IGBT temperature (IGBT's are what switch the coils primary side inside the ECU). The PR coils had the largest temperature increases due to their longer dwell time (4.5 - 4.8ms) while the B58 coils provided a more "happy middle ground" between stock N54/N55 coils and the PR coils. Thanks for your question!

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
@e92_Jay the stock/vtt valve cover options are not available for preorder yet. I should have them available for preorder within the next week.

@ShocknAwe more photos are on the way. Plugs are easily changed without removing the bracket as each coil is individually bolted to the bracket. To change the spark plugs simply remove the bolt and pull the coil out. With the coil out there's access through our bracket to remove the spark plugs.

@mikeseli The B58 coils are not of the "snap" type but of a spring contact type. I'm placing the coils low enough to obtain a full 10mm of compression on the spring. Contact from coil output to spark plug is not an issue with this setup.

@Shaw0523 the stock/vtt valve cover options are not available for preorder yet. I should have them available for preorder within the next week.

@fmorelli Thanks for the question. The B58 coil boots are not the same length as the N54 coils, instead they are shorter. That said I am mounting the coils lower to make up the difference and for platforms where that is not possible (N/S55 due to the fuel injector/ignition coil insert design) the kit will come with longer boots :). The B58 coils use a spring type contact instead of a clip type. The contact inside the stock N54/N55 coil is 33mm from the end of the boot to the back face of the snap. The spring contact inside the B58 coil's is ~23mm meaning we have 10mm of compression on the spring contact from spark plug engagement. When designing these kits I wanted to make sure the community didn't have another R8 coil situation so I took that into consideration.

@Blue Lighting Take a look at my thermal study here. I tested different coils and their effects on IGBT temperature (IGBT's are what switch the coils primary side inside the ECU). The PR coils had the largest temperature increases due to their longer dwell time (4.5 - 4.8ms) while the B58 coils provided a more "happy middle ground" between stock N54/N55 coils and the PR coils. Thanks for your question!
I read that report, however is does not provide the Amps/ms data that I was looking for.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
I read that report, however is does not provide the Amps/ms data that I was looking for.
Results from my testing + R8 data from @V8bait :

PR coils (my test): 2.43 amps/ms
Bosch N54 coils (my test): 2.51 amps/ms
Bosch B58 coils (my test): 4.12 amps/ms
R8 coils (V8bait): 6.45 amps/ms

The ISL9V5036S3ST IGBT's are rated for continuous current of 31 amps @ 110 C. We're obviously not sinking continuous current so we're no where near that limit so we really need to only focus on the thermal performance of the IGBT. As my tests show the PR coil puts a higher thermal load on the IGBT than the other coils I tested due to it's long dwell time of 4.5 - 4.8 ms. Obviously the load the PR coil is putting on the IGBT hasn't been an issue due to appropriate heatsinking by the ECU, otherwise we'd be seeing IGBT failures left and right on cars with PR coils.

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
Results from my testing + R8 data from @V8bait :

PR coils (my test): 2.43 amps/ms
Bosch N54 coils (my test): 2.51 amps/ms
Bosch B58 coils (my test): 4.12 amps/ms
R8 coils (V8bait): 6.45 amps/ms

The ISL9V5036S3ST IGBT's are rated for continuous current of 31 amps @ 110 C. We're obviously not sinking continuous current so we're no where near that limit so we really need to only focus on the thermal performance of the IGBT. As my tests show the PR coil puts a higher thermal load on the IGBT than the other coils I tested due to it's long dwell time of 4.5 - 4.8 ms. Obviously the load the PR coil is putting on the IGBT hasn't been an issue due to appropriate heatsinking by the ECU, otherwise we'd be seeing IGBT failures left and right on cars with PR coils.
Why are people getting IGBT failures with some coil upgrades then ??.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Why are people getting IGBT failures with some coil upgrades then ??.
I haven't seen/heard of many cases of IGBT failure outside of a few here and there so definitely not common. Mosfet failures on the other hand were extremely common on the MSD80 (IRF644) before they were upgraded on the MSD81 (fqb25n33). Those mosfets are for controlling the switching of the fuel injectors though not the ignition coils and their failure mode was probably due to fly-back exceeding the lower 250v rating of the MSD80 mosfets. Welcome to the forum btw.

Blue Lightning

Private
Jan 23, 2021
I haven't seen/heard of many cases of IGBT failure outside of a few here and there so definitely not common. Mosfet failures on the other hand were extremely common on the MSD80 (IRF644) before they were upgraded on the MSD81 (fqb25n33). Those mosfets are for controlling the switching of the fuel injectors though not the ignition coils and their failure mode was probably due to fly-back exceeding the lower 250v rating of the MSD80 mosfets. Welcome to the forum btw.
Thank's for the welcome......

Well, if I did go ahead with this upgrade. Do you know if MHD will be adding an option to their V8 Map's, like they did for the PR coils ??.

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Thank's for the welcome......

Well, if I did go ahead with this upgrade. Do you know if MHD will be adding an option to their V8 Map's, like they did for the PR coils ??.
Yes, MHD will be adding a flash option check box shortly for these coils :)