New wastegates welded but has up and down shaft play, is this bad?

N54rsenal

Private
Dec 11, 2018
Ride
2010 335i M Sport LCI
Went to a place to get my N54 wastegates welded and it wasn't held all the way down to the shoulder when welded told the guy it was a two man job and he probably took a risk doing it, not happy with the outcome. The new bushings were pressed perfectly by me, im using Turbolabamerica wastegates which have a welded flapper as a upgrade now they might be ruined. The top was welded flush with space under it holding it above the shoulder, it now has up and down play. Now im worried if it will make noises once installed still looks like it will seal. Should I go somewhere else and get it redone?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ab-20&linkId=0e713800041e3c8cf06a22d60acae5ec

20191008_231947.jpg

20191008_231902.jpg

20191008_232050.jpg

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Sorry if I'm out of the loop, is this to eliminate wastegate rattle? I think pictures would help

N54rsenal

Private
Dec 11, 2018
Ride
2010 335i M Sport LCI
Yes I don't want any rattle the originals were still good, turbos are from 2016. I just wanted to refresh everything with a slight upgrade.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Your first mistake was going with that kit. It's basically junk. You are better off pulling everything back out and getting a kit with actual upgraded parts that have some thought going into their design. At that point, you need to make sure whoever is installing them knows what they are doing. You only get one shot at it.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Your first mistake was going with that kit. It's basically junk. You are better off pulling everything back out and getting a kit with actual upgraded parts that have some thought going into their design. At that point, you need to make sure whoever is installing them knows what they are doing. You only get one shot at it.
With all the kit bashing, is there one or more you would recommend the guy?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
With all the kit bashing, is there one or more you would recommend the guy?
The kit bashing? A statement of facts even if it points negatively at the target is still a statement of facts. That kit is literally very poor copies of the factory parts. No upgraded materials, no design changes, nothing. The factory pieces fail early for a reason. If you are upgrading parts, make sure what you are buying is actually an upgrade. Leaving a suggestion out was intentional. I could have linked our kit, which has all of the things mentioned as what you want, but I am not trying to sell him on any one kit even ours. Simply pointing out, start over, and do it right with some research.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
The kit bashing? A statement of facts even if it points negatively at the target is still a statement of facts. That kit is literally very poor copies of the factory parts. No upgraded materials, no design changes, nothing. The factory pieces fail early for a reason. If you are upgrading parts, make sure what you are buying is actually an upgrade. Leaving a suggestion out was intentional. I could have linked our kit, which has all of the things mentioned as what you want, but I am not trying to sell him on any one kit even ours. Simply pointing out, start over, and do it right with some research.
You could avoid selling him your kit by giving him a few options. Why reply telling him he bought crap without giving him info on what is not crap.

• Agree
Reactions: JuniorB and Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
RB probably sells upgrade waste gates. Go buy them from him?

What turbos are those?

N54rsenal

Private
Dec 11, 2018
Ride
2010 335i M Sport LCI
As far as Pros and Cons of all the N54 wastegate flapper rebuild kits available I went with the turbolabofamerica kit because of the welded wastegate flapper which seems to be part of the issue with wastegate rattle. All the other kits don't say anything about how they are a improved or revised version of the design.

If it was welded properly I doubt they would be moving up and down, IIRC they fully seated but the welder messed it up that's why it has play up and down and now I could be paying double. I don't want to install it if this is going to be a issue and not trying to find out the hard way either.

I looked up RB wastegates and couldn't find anything on their website for buying them.
These are stock turbos with new RB DIY N54 CHRA's

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
You could avoid selling him your kit by giving him a few options. Why reply telling him he bought crap without giving him info on what is not crap.

Was your question rhetorical? As always, thank you, Jeff, for you continued and consistent valuable input.

As to why not, was really just throwing out a recommendation on where to start. A fundamental understanding on why wastegates go bad, and what to look for is useful. Basic info that isn't difficult to find and ought to be the first step before undertaking an overhaul/replace. No big deal, easily found. We have upgraded wastegate kits available, as does RB, as do a few other guys. I can't speak to the quality of anyone else's, of course the exception being when they're replacing worn out factory junk with the same, but new, junk.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Chris

N54rsenal

Private
Dec 11, 2018
Ride
2010 335i M Sport LCI
Im going to grind the shoddy welds off maybe I can reuse the parts if successful. I have Rob Becks info just trying to find whats best though.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Was your question rhetorical? As always, thank you, Jeff, for you continued and consistent valuable input.

As to why not, was really just throwing out a recommendation on where to start. A fundamental understanding on why wastegates go bad, and what to look for is useful. Basic info that isn't difficult to find and ought to be the first step before undertaking an overhaul/replace. No big deal, easily found. We have upgraded wastegate kits available, as does RB, as do a few other guys. I can't speak to the quality of anyone else's, of course the exception being when they're replacing worn out factory junk with the same, but new, junk.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Chris
All I’m saying is pointing out flaws without providing a solution doesn’t solve anything. It’s like protesting at a climate rally after flying in, renting a Jeep, and then making up a ton of cardboard signs to hand out at the rally. You feel good about yourself but you didn’t do anything useful or productive.

Reactions: Weehe
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
All I’m saying is pointing out flaws without providing a solution doesn’t solve anything. It’s like protesting at a climate rally after flying in, renting a Jeep, and then making up a ton of cardboard signs to hand out at the rally. You feel good about yourself but you didn’t do anything useful or productive.

You are certainly entitled to that interesting opinion. To take your approach, pointing out perceived flaws with an obvious undertone consistently present may (must?) help you feel good about yourself, but is not useful or productive if your narrative is aimed at me versus other readers. To do a quick review: in that useless post we made, we pointed out the parts used were not upgraded vs. stock (although new), that in our opinion it would be better to start over, that research is an important part of selecting a wastegate rattle repair kit, and that for the most part it's a one-shot deal with installation attempts. The only thing we left out, which sorely grieves you, is a recommended kit complete with a link. I appreciate your continued concern.

To the OP, given how things went, and in line with your next post, if I were in your shoes I'd do exactly what you're doing; grind 'er off and give it another go. If that goes all to hell, then, as colorfully mentioned above, do a bit more looking into materials used on the replacement kits, choose one of your liking (ours or a competitors will work fine provided they're reasonably designed; these ain't rocket science), and using the carcass of your pooched pair as an example of what to avoid, get someone with experience to weld 'em up with you.

I think that about maximizes the value of this post,

Chris

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You are certainly entitled to that interesting opinion. To take your approach, pointing out perceived flaws with an obvious undertone consistently present may (must?) help you feel good about yourself, but is not useful or productive if your narrative is aimed at me versus other readers. To do a quick review: in that useless post we made, we pointed out the parts used were not upgraded vs. stock (although new), that in our opinion it would be better to start over, that research is an important part of selecting a wastegate rattle repair kit, and that for the most part it's a one-shot deal with installation attempts. The only thing we left out, which sorely grieves you, is a recommended kit complete with a link. I appreciate your continued concern.

To the OP, given how things went, and in line with your next post, if I were in your shoes I'd do exactly what you're doing; grind 'er off and give it another go. If that goes all to hell, then, as colorfully mentioned above, do a bit more looking into materials used on the replacement kits, choose one of your liking (ours or a competitors will work fine provided they're reasonably designed; these ain't rocket science), and using the carcass of your pooched pair as an example of what to avoid, get someone with experience to weld 'em up with you.

I think that about maximizes the value of this post,

Chris
Your first paragraph misses the point. My post, by my reasoning, does provide value as it pointed out your flawed approach AND gave a solution.

Your second paragraph was what would have been a good initial post. So, good job and keep up the good work.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
VTT is probably too busy fleecing S55 customers or some other platform for a higher profit margin to care about the n54 community ;)

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
VTT is probably too busy fleecing S55 customers or some other platform for a higher profit margin to care about the n54 community ;)
To be 1000% fair, I would target M cars over standard models myself if I had any sort of Motorsport business.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
RB is the only one that sells a true upgraded wastegate for these turbos. They are cnc’d out of billet ss, and are wear resistant, and the only one doing it. There $250 a set, and well worth the money, wish I new about them when I done mine. If you look at others, there all the same, and will get the same life expectancies.