New mhd update now car runs like shit.

Slowvert135i

Corporal
Oct 24, 2017
Shelton, ct
Ride
08 135i e88
So i flashed the new mhd update 2 nights ago and upon start up after the flash the car idles like shit and pops at idle... While driving the car skips almost like a misfire but doesnt throw codes. The car does have index 7-9 injectors so I'm curious if that is the issue now. Car wont make power just sputters under acceleration.

Any ideas?
Will be replacing the injectors asap.

135iTX

Corporal
Dec 1, 2017
Ride
2009 135i
I had the exact same symptoms when I reset the throttle adaptation using MHD incorrectly.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I had a weird issue once where care just kept revving like a warm 2 stroke with choke on I reflashed reset and went back to normal

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Did you have airplane mode on while flashing? The only time I've ever had an issue with MHD was when I forgot to turn it on and got a text message halfway through. While flashing, MHD basically "takes up 100% of your phones useable power" in layman's terms and any little thing taking up your phones CPU or RAM for even a second or two can potentially cause a minor error while flashing.

I would just re-flash, making sure you have airplane mode on and that you didn't accidentally tick any option boxes you shouldn't have.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
It isn't so much the processing power, since even cheapo tablets can get the job done. The issue is with how android applications are handled. Processes can be interrupted, hibernated, put into the background momentarily, etc. That is the nature of mobile operating systems optimized for momentary use and battery conservation. This doesn't translate well to the job it is being asked to perform which includes dumping data to an FTDI driver which speaks to the chip on your OBD cable which has its own buffer and that needs to speak to the DME etc. Interruptions in this process can cause odd results. For example, rotating an android application can cause the application to essentially reset unless coded otherwise. Its just a finicky process, thats all I chalk it up to so hold your breath while flashing.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
It isn't so much the processing power, since even cheapo tablets can get the job done. The issue is with how android applications are handled. Processes can be interrupted, hibernated, put into the background momentarily, etc. That is the nature of mobile operating systems optimized for momentary use and battery conservation. This doesn't translate well to the job it is being asked to perform which includes dumping data to an FTDI driver which speaks to the chip on your OBD cable which has its own buffer and that needs to speak to the DME etc. Interruptions in this process can cause odd results. For example, rotating an android application can cause the application to essentially reset unless coded otherwise. Its just a finicky process, thats all I chalk it up to so hold your breath while flashing.
Exactly android tries for a race to sleep model which doesnt bode well for serial transfer where consistency Is key and I'm not sure but think user apps cant flag real time in the scheduler.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Yeah, I used to do some (very) minor coding for Android back in the early days of rooting it (think back to, like, Android 1.2, Cupcake, etc lol) but I figured most people wouldn't understand that the on/off nature of Android's processing can cause just enough latency to fuck something up in the DME without the user even noticing a hiccup so I thought my phrasing would be okay - but you're absolutely right, it has nothing to do with the actual processing power of the devices.

@OP, we're you able to resolve the issue with a re-flash? The MHD guys have put in a crazy amount of work making this app and fail-safe as it is, there's been very few times where I've seen a standard (proper) 2 minute re-write not solve any problem, let alone the flash-to-stock-and-back options we have.

Reactions: doublespaces

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
I have a BLU cheapo android phone that I use for logging and flashing and Ive had zero issues during the flashing process even without airplane mode on. Its always fully charged before I attempt any such operation though, so that may have something to do with it.

I too just updated to the latest rendition of MHD and have experienced zero issues so far, Id follow the procedures and use a battery tender/phone in airplane mode and give it another shot flashing.

socaln54

Private
Jul 25, 2018
Ride
535i
Make sure that its on airplane mode, add it to your exception lists on power savings on android settings, make sure its fully charge, close all other apps and don't touch it

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
I would go even farther and turn power saving mode off and set the screen to stay on @ about 50% brightness. You should not need wifi or bluetooth so they can be turned off