Toorop

May 20, 2023
Sweden
Ride
BMW 320d 2018. BMW 335i 2011.
Hi everyone
New Member here with 2011 E92 N55 car. Just did my first tune, got Wagner downpipe(catted) and Wagner FMIC and charge pipe. I'm very happy with how it runs, just looking for a second opinion on my logging to be sure timing corrections are within limit. I'm all new to this engine tuning and logging. Not sure if my public logs on datazap are available here so I attach one in this post. Other mods on the care are Öhlins coilovers, Brembo bbk, M3 control arms and swaybars, and torsen LSD.

Last edited:

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Hi everyone
New Member here with 2011 E92 N55 car. Just did my first tune, got Wagner downpipe(catted) and Wagner FMIC and charge pipe. I'm very happy with how it runs, just looking for a second opinion on my logging to be sure timing corrections are within limit. I'm all new to this engine tuning and logging. Not sure if my public logs on datazap are available here so I attach one in this post. Other mods on the care are Öhlins coilovers, Brembo bbk, M3 control arms and swaybars, and torsen LSD.
Welcome. One of my associates is a N55 guy. I am sure he will chime in soon.

Toorop

May 20, 2023
Sweden
Ride
Welcome! Can you add your log to the site's data logging capability so it shows up in the thread?
Hi. Forgive my ignorance here . Iv added one log under logging. But I'm not sure how to make it show up in the thread.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
🤔 I haven't actually uploaded any logs here yet, so I can't give you any pointers off the top of my head. Perhaps some others can chime in?

• Sad
Reactions: SlowE93

Toorop

May 20, 2023
Sweden
Ride
🤔 I haven't actually uploaded any logs here yet, so I can't give you any pointers off the top of my head. Perhaps some others can chime in.

Or the BB code

Toorop

May 20, 2023
Sweden
Ride
Welcome! Can you add your log to the site's data logging capability so it shows up in the thread?
Added another log with 3rd gear pull.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
I think those corrections look fine. Logs look pretty good to me for MHD OTS 2+. Your wgdc% seems pretty high though, mine doesn't go that high on my MHD OTS 2+.

Toorop

May 20, 2023
Sweden
Ride
I think those corrections look fine. Logs look pretty good to me for MHD OTS 2+. Your wgdc% seems pretty high though, mine doesn't go that high on my MHD OTS 2+.
Hi, thanks for input. That's the wastegate right ? What does it mean that its high?

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Yep, it's wastegate duty cycle. The higher the wgdc%, the more vacuum goes to the wastegate canister to try and pull it closed to make more boost.

So if wgdc% is higher than expected, it means for some reason, the DME is trying harder than expected to hit boost target. Some common culprits could be a small boost leak, an old boost solenoid or leak somewhere in the boost solenoid vacuum system. But your boost actually seems to be holding pretty well into the upper rpm for a stock turbo. I'm on stage 2+ and I'm generally in the 50's at the top of a pull, but my boost is pretty weak and doesn't hold boost as well as you so it's hard to say. I see you're 98g0b and I'm 9e60b, so not sure if slight differences in our OTS tunes could account for this🤷‍♂️. Maybe if my tune allowed more wgdc% my boost would look better. But 90% seems excessive to me? Hopefully some other n55 guys will chime in👍

Your stft (short term fuel trim) initially goes positive (adding more fuel) during the pull, then goes negative (pulling fuel). I'm not sure why it's doing both during a pull? Trim going negative could point to a boost leak, as you're loosing metered air, so the cylinders need less fuel than expected to stay on air fuel ratio target. You mentioned you have a charge pipe - does yours also replace the stock pipe where the MAF sensor goes? If so, that can mess with MAF readings and may help explain the trims going positive, then negative.

Last edited:

Toorop

May 20, 2023
Sweden
Ride
Yep, it's wastegate duty cycle. The higher the wgdc%, the more vacuum goes to the wastegate canister to try and pull it closed to make more boost.

So if wgdc% is higher than expected, it means for some reason, the turbo has to work harder than expected to hit boost target. Some common culprits could be a small boost leak, an old boost solenoid or leak somewhere in the boost solenoid vacuum system. But your boost actually seems to be holding pretty well into the upper rpm for a stock turbo. I'm on stage 2+ and I'm generally in the 50's at the top of a pull, but my boost is pretty weak and doesn't hold boost as well as you so it's hard to say. I see you're 98g0b and I'm 9e60b, so not sure if slight differences in our OTS tunes could account for this🤷‍♂️. Maybe if my tune allowed more wgdc% my boost would look better. But 90% seems excessive to me? Hopefully some other n55 guys will chime in👍

Your stft (short term fuel trim) initially goes positive (adding more fuel) during the pull, then goes negative (pulling fuel). I'm not sure why it's doing both during a pull? Trim going negative could point to a boost leak, as you're loosing metered air, so the cylinders need less fuel than expected to stay on air fuel ratio target. You mentioned you have a charge pipe - does yours also replace the stock pipe where the MAF sensor goes? If so, that can mess with MAF readings and may help explain the trims going positive, then negative.
If I try to conclude, my boost is good which implies wastegate is good but still the wgdc value seems excessive, I'm thinking I don't have to worry about that too much from engine health perspective?
My MAF sensor is mounted on the new chargepipe which goes all the way from FMIC to engine. Do you mean that the MAF position on the chargepipe is getting flow values that is somehow unexpected? The chargepipe is designed for this engine so I assumed it should be transparent. I will attach pic of it.

Reactions: wheela

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
If I try to conclude, my boost is good which implies wastegate is good but still the wgdc value seems excessive, I'm thinking I don't have to worry about that too much from engine health perspective?
My MAF sensor is mounted on the new chargepipe which goes all the way from FMIC to engine. Do you mean that the MAF position on the chargepipe is getting flow values that is somehow unexpected? The chargepipe is designed for this engine so I assumed it should be transparent. I will attach pic of it.

From engine health perspective, it probably depends a bit if the high wgdc% is due to a boost leak vs. some other issue (boost solenoid, vacuum, wastegate rod adjustment, etc.). But worst case, it's a boost leak and you may potentially shorten life of the turbo since it's actually running harder than it needs to since your're moving extra air to compensate for the leak (higher pre-turbine back pressure, higher pre-turbine exhaust temp, higher turbine speed). Is it enough to matter? I don't know, probably not much of an issue if it's just a daily driver. You're corrections look decent so I wouldn't be worried about damaging your engine.

With the MAF sensor, it's taking a sample of air from the cross section of the intake duct where it's mounted. So if you change that cross section, it changes the proportion of air going through the sensor, so it can throw off the DME's air calculation. You can adjust for it with a custom tune, but I believe the OTS tunes are set up for the stock intake. It may not throw it off enough to matter. I've seen lots of people have codes and idle issues when running the Burger intake on OTS tunes, and then others don't seem to have a problem with it. Personally, I've decided to just stick with the oem intake to avoid any issues, plus it actually works pretty well, and doesn't seem to be a bottleneck at OTS power levels.

Toorop

May 20, 2023
Sweden
Ride
From engine health perspective, it probably depends a bit if the high wgdc% is due to a boost leak vs. some other issue (boost solenoid, vacuum, wastegate rod adjustment, etc.). But worst case, it's a boost leak and you may potentially shorten life of the turbo since it's actually running harder than it needs to since your're moving extra air to compensate for the leak (higher pre-turbine back pressure, higher pre-turbine exhaust temp, higher turbine speed). Is it enough to matter? I don't know, probably not much of an issue if it's just a daily driver. You're corrections look decent so I wouldn't be worried about damaging your engine.

With the MAF sensor, it's taking a sample of air from the cross section of the intake duct where it's mounted. So if you change that cross section, it changes the proportion of air going through the sensor, so it can throw off the DME's air calculation. You can adjust for it with a custom tune, but I believe the OTS tunes are set up for the stock intake. It may not throw it off enough to matter. I've seen lots of people have codes and idle issues when running the Burger intake on OTS tunes, and then others don't seem to have a problem with it. Personally, I've decided to just stick with the oem intake to avoid any issues, plus it actually works pretty well, and doesn't seem to be a bottleneck at OTS power levels.
I have the FTP intake, it seems to not affect idle or anything else I notice. But as you say, the OTS map is probably only tuned for FMIC+downpipe so it's overkill for my setup. But it looks good ...😏. A pro tune just for the sake of the intake is overkill I think. Concidering it's my summer/project car and it has almost 70k miles on it I think my conclusion will be it's safe enough to run with this. Drilling into the logs really gives a lot to think about, in the end it's all about risk versus reward I guess. N55 really is a torque monster, that is rewarding.

Attachments

• IMG20221016192246.jpg
    IMG20221016192246.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: wheela and SlowE93