New Inlets and catch can installed...now Tial BOV sounds horrible?? Why?

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
I just got finished installing my new silicon inlets, and BMS OCC. I took my car for a drive, and it runs great.....but the Tial BOV sounds horrible now for some reason.

It used to have a nice and deep "Whoooosh" sound when getting out of the throttle when it dumped the boost.........but now, it's got this high pitched squeal to it that just sounds horrible! And it's crazy loud now. It's almost as if the valve isn't opening as fast as it used to, and instead of it dumping all of the boost in a hurry....not it just squeals and the air is forced out of the valve.

I checked the manifold adapter that the 1/4" line comes off of, and followed the line to were it connects to the BOV...no problems, no leaks, all is good.

Could some crap have gotten into the BOV somehow? Why would new inlets and OCC cause the BOV to sound so high pitched and horrible? Ideas?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I just got finished installing my new silicon inlets, and BMS OCC. I took my car for a drive, and it runs great.....but the Tial BOV sounds horrible now for some reason.

It used to have a nice and deep "Whoooosh" sound when getting out of the throttle when it dumped the boost.........but now, it's got this high pitched squeal to it that just sounds horrible! And it's crazy loud now. It's almost as if the valve isn't opening as fast as it used to, and instead of it dumping all of the boost in a hurry....not it just squeals and the air is forced out of the valve.

I checked the manifold adapter that the 1/4" line comes off of, and followed the line to were it connects to the BOV...no problems, no leaks, all is good.

Could some crap have gotten into the BOV somehow? Why would new inlets and OCC cause the BOV to sound so high pitched and horrible? Ideas?

Sure it's not vacuum squeal?

Reactions: Reformatt

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Yep sorry to say but that’s what the inlets do.. My Tial now sounds like an HKS. I can confirm the occ doesn’t have anything to do with it because I had it on before I installed my inlets.

If you listen carefully, the original Tial sound is still there, it’s just that our ears are more sensitive to higher pitch noises so that’s what we hear in the cabin instead.

Reactions: int_c0m8U$tion

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Yep sorry to say but that’s what the inlets do.. My Tial now sounds like an HKS. I can confirm the occ doesn’t have anything to do with it because I had it on before I installed my inlets.

If you listen carefully, the original Tial sound is still there, it’s just that our ears are more sensitive to higher pitch noises so that’s what we hear in the cabin instead.

I'm going to try to increase the size of the hose going to my Tail BOV and see if that helps...I'm currently running the 3.5mm ID line, I'm going to bump up the line and fittings to the 1/4" IS size and see if that helps at all.

The sound is just horrible now..I had it. It sounds so high pitched and screechy.....the sound with the stock inlets was awesome...WHOOOOSH!!! Now it sounds like hammed dog-$hit.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Your first post said you had a 1/4" line ... last post says 3.5mm and you are going to go to 1/4". Not sure if I'm misreading. You need to be at 1/4" ... and mine sounds great with inlet ... so it's not a inlet=that noise.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Your first post said you had a 1/4" line ... last post says 3.5mm and you are going to go to 1/4". Not sure if I'm misreading. You need to be at 1/4" ... and mine sounds great with inlet ... so it's not a inlet=that noise.
It’s gotta be because my Tial only changed pitch after and only after installing my 2” stock location inlets. Same 1/4 vacuum line, same intakes, same occ

Changing the reference vacuum line will not change the pitch, only the response time

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Yeah...it's a little confusing. I bought the BMS adapter kit that plugs into the hose coming out of the manifold.....they say it comes with "1/4" hose" for the Tail BOV. But when you actually measure the hose, it's not 1/4" inner diameter....it's around 3.5-4mm ID. I'm going to get new push to connect fitting for the adapter fitting on the manifold and also for the BOV for a true 1/4" ID hose.... hopefully that will fix the issue.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I'm on 3" inlets and mine is loud, but doesn't sound like my engine is killing cats like yours.

I suggest two things from my experiences with the Tial kit.

1. Black spring. I know you're technically within range, but better to be in the middle third of efficiency, not at the bottom of the 95% confidence interval that the spring matches your vacuum.

2. Real 1/4" ID line from your BMS adapter, vader adapter, or direct port to your IM. I've read that the BMS bov adapter kit at one point erroneously shipped with a 1/8" ID line.

I'll be shocked if those two don't fix your issue.

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
Well....I installed the bigger 1/4" I'd line to the Tial BOV......but it still makes that same high pitched screeching noise.....no change at all from the larger line. I guess the next step is to install the 7psi spring in the BOV....that should let it open faster than the 10psi spring that's in there now.

If that doesn't work....I guess I'm stuck with a crappy sounding BOV....or maybe try a Turbosmart BOV and see if that sounds any better....

Crazy how inlets would change the sound so much.....

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Well....I installed the bigger 1/4" I'd line to the Tial BOV......but it still makes that same high pitched screeching noise.....no change at all from the larger line. I guess the next step is to install the 7psi spring in the BOV....that should let it open faster than the 10psi spring that's in there now.

If that doesn't work....I guess I'm stuck with a crappy sounding BOV....or maybe try a Turbosmart BOV and see if that sounds any better....

Crazy how inlets would change the sound so much.....

Is it a real Tial valve? Tons of fakes out there and if you didn't buy from a reputable vendor it's likely, y'know.

• Agree
Reactions: TheFixer and Torgus

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I had a Tial knock off from mmp that sounded like that when it came apart. Giant washer came loose in the valve, sucked through the throttle body damaging it and got lodged in one of the valve ports. Good times. Happened to a few people and those a$$hats at mmp won't even call or email us back.

I have a genuine turbosmart bov now. Works and sounds great. :)

• Informative
Reactions: SlowE93 and Torgus

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Yeah but he should be fine from BMS. They're good guys.

Op: take it apart completely and clean/inspect it especially the diaphragm when your black spring comes in. Lube it all up and reinstall.

Myself, I'm ditching my Tial soon and going to TS raceport or Gofast Bits SV50.

IQraceworks

Corporal
Jul 7, 2020
Missouri
Ride
07' BMW 335i
I've taken it apart, it's nice and clean and moves freely. When I put my vacuum pump on it, it starts to open around 20-22in/hg of vacuum....the motor makes 18-19in/hg vacuum at idle.....so technically, it should be set up just about perfectly. I'm going to try the 7psi (14in/hg) spring as soon as it shows up.

It might be slightly open at idle....but I don't think that will hurt anything.

I just can't figure out why changing inlets would change the sound of the BOV that's on the other side of the turbos, down line of the FMIC, and basically the other end of the induction system. Makes no sense to me at all.