New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Has anyone put a scope on the hpfp solenoid, does it go 100% duty cycle or does the dme cap it below that?

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Out of the hundreds of kits sold by VTT, a hand full possibly came back as bad but most likely could have been installed incorrectly by an unqualified enthusiast.

Just because some can swing a spanner doesn't qualify them that they know what they are doing.

Try carrying out repairs on your BMW and see if BMW parts will cover your warranty if not installed by a qualified mechanic.

But also some mechanics shouldn't be ones either.
This doesn’t nullify my statement. I’m glad none of the ones you have sold, but you don’t work for VTT and don’t know how many failures they have or have not had.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
All I said is that I haven't seen any failures since the billet drive has been introduced and if the failures where so wide spread I would have seen one at least by now but there has been none.

Before hand I know of one only but that's was one of the first kits and around 4 to 5 years ago when they first came out.

Since then there hasn't been one sold here in oz until I brought one, and installed it, ran it for a few months and done a review on it.

My first drive kit I got was the welded one and is well over 2 years old and still running with no issues and after the review VTT changed the kit to billet drive and I've installed plenty since then with no issues or any sort of failure as they would have to go through me for warranty.

They all have been running on the ragged edge maxed out, the only failures we seen is by the hpfp pumps but only when the customer opted to reuse their old pump and not the newest pump version.

All the latest revision pumps have been perfect and without issue besides one where it was left for 9 months with e85 sitting in it's belly without being run, the fuel turned to crap and destroyed it.

I'm being upfront with all the issues I've seen but none have been with the drive kit but the pumps themselves any only when they have been run on e85 and the old revisions besides one.

But that can happen to any drive kit that's on offer.

As stated this new drive kit has a place in the market especially for the xdrive cars and where the shotgun can't be used due to fitment but the only concern is the amount of overdrive of 4x due to the hpfp pump already having a hard time at shotgun level

Hope they thoroughly bench test it to destruction and see how long it lasts and the type of failure as not to destroy the chain drive if it was to lock up.

Looking forward to any results and that's all I'm going to say.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
My 2c, planetary gear set conceptual will have no issue with the rpm, implementation of concept is another thing. If it's overdriven 4X that is a concern from the point of view that the stock hpfp only really needs to move 2X the fuel volume to be on par with injector capacity, so that might say something about whats happened to efficiency or trying to overcome other pump limitations like intake design and supply etc. Points that Marty rose in an earlier post.

Reactions: kayzrx82
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
LOL did VTT really try and claim 4x overdrive is not as fast as the shotgun?

Shotgun looks to be a 2x overdrive, if that. Anyone with a shotgun and N54 on hand can take 5 minutes to measure then divide crank pulley diameter by shotgun pulley diameter to get the overdrive ratio. It's simple math.

View attachment 27670
You guys are great. The internets are great. I have a spreadsheet right here with RPM numbers on the shotgun Tony sent me, compared to this overdrive. I can tell which one is faster. You want to know how we get to these numbers? Its a pesky thing called math. You take one pulley and measure it against another pulley, and you get rotational RPM. The amount of misinformation in this thread is on par with the worst I have seen, from people telling us how many shotgun failures there has been, to guessing the overdrive % of this unit, and the shotgun. Keep guessing guys, it sure is fun to watch.

Chris

• Dumb
Reactions: The Convert
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
IIRC they now offer a billet mount SPECIFICALLY because there were too many problems with the welded version. You know the billet mount costs significantly more, they did not go to this to save costs but to increase reliability which they had to because of the failures. They fixed the problem which is great!
This is gold, spoken like someone waiting to show the world his lack of knowledge on all things manufacturing. So let's just use a tiny bit of common sense. You machine two separate parts, then take those two parts, and pay someone to weld them together, or you machine a single part. Hmm, I wonder which one is the most cost-effective? We went single piece housing for multiple reasons, housing failures were not the main reason. Another little fun fact. The biggest reason we lost a few of the early welded housing was due to using the stock belt with increased tension on it. Went to a larger belt, and the cracked housing issue went away. So we changed housing design due to cracking, wrong. The single piece housing is more expensive to manufacture, wrong. Exactly what I said about the internets. Everyone is an expert, please keep it up. I am enjoying this.

Chris

• Dumb
Reactions: The Convert

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I think that was me lol. I've heard 3x from someone unaffiliated, and 4x from a tester.
Im just saying 4x sounds little crazy. Like stated already if it is 4x their is no way supply will keep up and just that would mean they are extremely over engineered which if was case I would think their would never have been so many stock failures.

Btw supermodels that blow me get perfect skin and lose weight please repeat until true.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
This is gold, spoken like someone waiting to show the world his lack of knowledge on all things manufacturing. So let's just use a tiny bit of common sense. You machine two separate parts, then take those two parts, and pay someone to weld them together, or you machine a single part. Hmm, I wonder which one is the most cost-effective? We went single piece housing for multiple reasons, housing failures were not the main reason. Another little fun fact. The biggest reason we lost a few of the early welded housing was due to using the stock belt with increased tension on it. Went to a larger belt, and the cracked housing issue went away. So we changed housing design due to cracking, wrong. The single piece housing is more expensive to manufacture, wrong. Exactly what I said about the internets. Everyone is an expert, please keep it up. I am enjoying this.

Chris

Jesus you are full of yourself aren't you?

I ran manufacturing for a company much larger than VTT. Each unit we produced cost roughly 50-250k and was capital equipment that had to last 25+ years in some of the harshest conditions on the globe. I worked hand in hand with our mech engineering team & our external metal fabricators on our machined and welded parts for our assemblies including our enclosures. I had to do this on all new products we brought to the market. I guarantee I have more knowledge regarding manufacturing and bringing reliable products to the market than you ever will or will want to. I have a VERY good idea the difference in cost of a billet vs welded steel bracket. But to tell you the truth I honestly don't give a flying fuck about your bracket that you had to redesign at least once because what you 1st brought to the market was not designed correctly the 1st time ;)

Go back to answering emails for failed VTT products and stop throwing shade and spreading FUD on competitor's products. Act like a professional.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
So I took a closer look at the oem gear drive.

The oem configuration is a 61.1%(this is incorrect)underdrive for the vacuum pump and hpfp off the crank. I measured the gears with image analysis software passing the ruler through center of each gear perfectly horizontal for a true diameter comparison accounting for camera angle etc. (you really should try measuring the real thing)

So if we do the math, single shotgun kit returns pump to oem crankshaft speed then overdrives it 168.8%. This result is from the pulley measurements I obtained, 130mm(this is incorrect) crank pulley divided by 77mm (This is incorrect)shotgun pulley. (again you really should try measuring these things in person)

Divide 1.688 / 0.611 for 2.760 which means single shotgun effective overdrive ratio is 2.76 : 1 (none of your numbers are valid if you have incorrect data points such as sprocket diameters)

Helix at 4.x : 1 is still faster. the 61.1% underdrive part doesn't apply to Helix calculations as it's driven off the oem sprocket not the crank. (this literally makes no sense, the factory HPFP is 100% driven off the crank, so whatever reduction the factory HPFP is seeing the overdrive is multiplying that, not engine RPM)
See above notes

Chris

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
See above notes

Chris

Supply the correct numbers then. Or I'll wait and go measure a parts motor later and post real pictures.

Only cus you came in here spreading misinformation in the first place and I hate that you made me do math to prove you wrong. LMAO

The ratios I calculated reference the oem hpfp location for both overdrives. The reason shotgun calculation uses the underdrive ratio and Helix doesn't is the difference in drive location. Your last point is a grade A shit post designed to confuse people I'll give you brownie points for that :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
You guys are great. The internets are great. I have a spreadsheet right here with RPM numbers on the shotgun Tony sent me, compared to this overdrive. I can tell which one is faster. You want to know how we get to these numbers? Its a pesky thing called math. You take one pulley and measure it against another pulley, and you get rotational RPM. The amount of misinformation in this thread is on par with the worst I have seen, from people telling us how many shotgun failures there has been, to guessing the overdrive % of this unit, and the shotgun. Keep guessing guys, it sure is fun to watch.

Chris

Or maybe you can provide some actual specifications for your product lmao... If you have actual factual information to share then there is 0 reason not to. There is nothing proprietary about sharing flow numbers. The design of the VTT pulley is what would be patented not the resulting flow. I don't know of anyone who would buy a fuel pump without knowing how much fuel it flows. Otherwise, how the hell would you size the pump for your application? We are supposed to base builds on how fast some VTT car went in the 1/4 mile as if that is relevant in any way shape or form??? Sure sharing results is great for your companies image but it does absolutely nothing for providing your products specifications.

People wouldn't be 6 pages deep into a thread full of speculation if vendors on this platform shared the minute amount of actual information they have. You'd think VTT would be plastering the data they have all over the place and using it as a marketing tool if it actually existed. Instead you are choosing to keep it to yourself to intentionally keep the community ignorant. It only benefits you. I guess gone are the days of "Caveat emptor" and buyers actually understanding that they are responsible for being aware of what they are buying before spending money on something like the shotgun which needed multiple revisions just to be what is now basically a working concept. Maybe you don't see it this way, but, your comments come off more that you don't have any data from your products. More-so just working backwards to obtain them after getting your concept to work and selling it to people.

Where is Tiago at? I'd love to see a VTT vs VRSF debate. Would be like watching two used car salesman try to sell each-other a car they've never seen before lol...

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Supply the correct numbers then. Or I'll wait and go measure a parts motor later and post real pictures.

Only cus you came in here spreading misinformation in the first place and I hate that you made me do math to prove you wrong. LMAO
Well your math is wrong, no we are not going to provide you or our competitor with our RPM numbers. If you want them I suggest you collect the parts, get a good caliper, and do some correct math. The only misinformation being spread is by people internetting and calling that fact.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_0801264.jpg
    IMG_20190606_0801264.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Shotgun RPM data redacted.pdf
    177.5 KB · Views: 73
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Or maybe you can provide some actual specifications for your product lmao... If you have actual factual information to share then there is 0 reason not to. There is nothing proprietary about sharing flow numbers. The design of the VTT pulley is what would be patented not the resulting flow. I don't know of anyone who would buy a fuel pump without knowing how much fuel it flows. Otherwise, how the hell would you size the pump for your application? We are supposed to base builds on how fast some VTT car went in the 1/4 mile as if that is relevant in any way shape or form??? Sure sharing results is great for your companies image but it does absolutely nothing for providing your products specifications.
I suggest you do a little bit of research. I know it's hard for people to wrap their heads around that we did this 5 years ago, but that's the case. If you look up our original testing, we have charts, graphs, logs, dynos, you name it, we did it, and we shared it. We just did it so far ahead of everyone else it was really not understood until now someone else is trying to do it. I know you may not understand the competitive advantage, but we have nothing to prove here. The shotgun works, and works well, as proven not by our cars, but by hundreds of customer cars running it. If anything Spool needs to be sharing their data to prove their upgrade works. We did that 5 years ago, again just do a little research. We are not going to hold a competitors hand and help them. This is business 101.

Chris