New HPFP Upgrade - SpoolPerformance Helix

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Again, if the system has the overhead capacity, there is no strain to be concerned with

If there was a correlating drop in pressure, then sure, back down the mix. From the findings so far, there won't be enough power in my plans to stress this thing and a pair of 450s in the tank

I realize there are depreciating gains after about e50. But yes, for the sheer convenience of filling straight and cost, no reason not to unless 600whp+(which is an arbitrary number since we dont know the limit yet)

If we are worried about strain on the fuel system, maybe over spinning the hpfp isnt the route you should consider, since that is placing a 'strain' on the part

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Unnecessary strain on your fuel system for little to no power gain above E50 / 60.
When you say strain, are you implying lubrication/water content bad ju ju? Or something else?

Filippo

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
When you say strain, are you implying lubrication/water content bad ju ju? Or something else?

Filippo

No, you are just moving more volume through it to achieve the same AFR's compared to the volume needed for E50. There comes a point where to get that volume into your cylinder you will have to run higher and higher pressures, both at the rail / injectors and LPFP.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
I can't imagine two stroke oil being too friendly to the cats if you have them or the O² sensors for that matter

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
You're stuck in late e-series hell (no flex fuel) with me, how do you mix/analyze your e content?

i was referring to premixing the fuel with upper cylinder lubricant or 2 stroke since I spent 13 year in the rotary world, :lol:

But yeah I hate mixing fuel. I do have the Spool Ethanol Analyser though so it helps. I will be running full E when the Helix is installed.

Reactions: typedRew

Tiron

Lurker
Oct 10, 2018
Ride
BMW 135i
Injector life is def issue , straight e85 I would think you would want to use a fuel lube

I have run full E85 for about 3 years on my daily with no issues (too lazy to mix, lol). Logs show my fuel pressure to be just fine, so I've got no worries about it. The injectors / fuel pumps probably have plenty of lubrication with the 15% that's still gasoline.

I am lucky enough to have a station about 1 mile from my office.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’ve found my gas tank gauge to be pretty accurate - essentially each tick on the gauge corresponds to 1 gallon. So it’s easy-peasy for me to hit target ethanol content especially since I use 5 gallon cans of VP Racing Fuel X98 (98% ethanol) to make my blends (sadly, no more E85 near me in Philly). The MHD Motiv FlexFuel module is great because it not only monitors my ethanol content but also allows me to taper off the ethanol back to E10 93 octane when my X98 cans run dry. So if I blend a tank of E40, I’ll refill with Shell VPower at around the half tank mark, and then the gauge predictably is around E20 which still gives a nice performance kick for a little spirited driving.

Reactions: Idratherbesurfing

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
I have run full E85 for about 3 years on my daily with no issues (too lazy to mix, lol). Logs show my fuel pressure to be just fine, so I've got no worries about it. The injectors / fuel pumps probably have plenty of lubrication with the 15% that's still gasoline.

I am lucky enough to have a station about 1 mile from my office.
Do you test regularly or have an ECA? Curious what other people on n55 or otherwise lacking flex fuel do when running full e85.

Tiron

Lurker
Oct 10, 2018
Ride
BMW 135i
Do you test regularly or have an ECA? Curious what other people on n55 or otherwise lacking flex fuel do when running full e85.

I am on N54, but I have actually never tested. When I did my initial E85 tuning I used data logs to set up the fuel scalars to whatever E% my local pump spits out (fuel trims < 8%), and I've let the widebands adjust for seasonal changes (which have been pretty small every time I've logged).

Considering how long N54's were run with garbage like the JB+, which just fully leans on widebands for fueling, I figure its easily capable of handing a small difference in ethanol percent. If it can handle filling up with ethanol free (E0) vs standard gasoline (E15) without retuning, it should be just fine. I'd only be worried if I was mixing, since the ratio could change so drastically each fillup that way.

Reactions: Bnks334 and tisdrew

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Anyone else in the "test the pump seasonally with a test tube tester, then use the hidden dash menu + e85 calculator" club? Lol.

I really need to get my FF sensor installed.

Reactions: Idratherbesurfing

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I make over 850whp without PI turned on but i'm running the double shotgun set up. You don't really need PI to run high power or at least more than is needed for the street. I don't see why this Helix, if it overspins the HPFP similar to the shotgun, can't provide enough fuel for high power needs.

• Informative
Reactions: tisdrew

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
I make over 850whp without PI turned on but i'm running the double shotgun set up. You don't really need PI to run high power or at least more than is needed for the street.
As its not a daily, im thinking of rebuilding the car AGAIN lol. So maybe the 4x over drive will be good. Hope these test trials can show proof of concept