New car 335i log review please

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
Hey guys, new member here 👋
Recently upgraded from a 2004 320ci e46 that I had for around five years to a 2009 e93 335i dct, also it’s the first turbo car I’ve ever owed.
Everything is running fine, it has 92000 miles and last full service was late January 2020 at 86000 miles, I am planning on doing an oil+filter and spark plug change in the next week or two.
It is currently stock with no mods but I plan to fbo it at some point in the future, I’m from the UK so will be sticking to 99oct fuel.
I’ve taken a few 2nd and 3rd gear pulls and got some logs, would really appreciate if someone could have a look over them and let me know how she’s looking.
I’ll get some pictures when the weather is nicer and post in the new member section.
Here’s the link for my logs https://www.spoolstreet.com/graphs/uploaders/benjiman.6948/

Thanks

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I only looks at 3rd gear log a but it looks fine.

Download MHD and load up a tune, spend a grand and go FBO next.

If you are changing the plugs and you don't know how old the coils are you might as well do both. Don't go with stock for either.

Reactions: Benjiman

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
Thanks for having a look, log a looked the best to me, all the other logs have some timing corrections going on at some point, log d looks the worst of them to me? Not sure if it’s anything to worry about?

I already have MHD, I could load up the stage 1 flash keep an eye on the logs and see how it goes.

Good shout on the coils, what would you recommend for them?
Also, by non stock plugs do you mean go 1 step colder?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Thanks for having a look, log a looked the best to me, all the other logs have some timing corrections going on at some point, log d looks the worst of them to me? Not sure if it’s anything to worry about?

I already have MHD, I could load up the stage 1 flash keep an eye on the logs and see how it goes.

Good shout on the coils, what would you recommend for them?
Also, by non stock plugs do you mean go 1 step colder?

A more aggressive tune would tell us more about how healthy everything is. Also, friends don't let friends run on stock n54 maps.

People make 750whp with the pencil S55 coils I vote those. If you want more of an upgrade there are the PR or B58. Read this: https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads...mparison-n54-n55-b58-and-pr.7169/#post-107251

For plugs NGK 1 step colder. Be careful there are knock off plugs on the market. Buy them from someone reputable like BMS: https://burgertuning.com/products/ngk-5992-n54-n55-gappable-spark-plug?variant=31342609727603 Gap to: 0.022"

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
A more aggressive tune would tell us more about how healthy everything is. Also, friends don't let friends run on stock n54 maps.

People make 750whp with the pencil S55 coils I vote those. If you want more of an upgrade there are the PR or B58. Read this: https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads...mparison-n54-n55-b58-and-pr.7169/#post-107251

For plugs NGK 1 step colder. Be careful there are knock off plugs on the market. Buy them from someone reputable like BMS: https://burgertuning.com/products/ngk-5992-n54-n55-gappable-spark-plug?variant=31342609727603 Gap to: 0.022"
Ok I'll get MHD Stage 1 loaded up in the next few days then get some logs. "Also, friends don't let friends run on stock n54 maps." I like that saying 👍

I'll have a read over that thread tonight. 1 step colder it is for plugs then, thanks for the knock offs warning, I'll probably order from a UK based website but I'll make sure they're reputable.

I'll post back with some updates in the near future, I'll get some pics uploaded soon as possible too.

Thanks again 👍

Reactions: Torgus

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
After a quick look online, not thorough at all, it seems the NGK 95770 plugs might be hard to source in the UK, with at least one website citing them as 'Discontinued' and recommending 97968 as a replacement. Does anyone have any experience or advice with these? I'll do some more research tomorrow if needed.

While I'm here, does anyone have any advice on the following;
'Forge' branded charge pipe with bov?
'Masata' branded fmic?

Cheers 👍

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Masata intecooler is just a chinese Wagner clone. I'm guessing your shopping on MLPerformance. It's a decent site but pricey and he has started stocking rebranded AliExpress stuff.

My advice on the intercooler would be to buy a CSF intercooler. I purchased mine from x-ph.com, it was on offer at the time and after import duty cost £400. It's far superior to the masata one and only ended up costing slightly more.

With plugs I'm really not sure, there's a lot of talk about plugs but I found no real difference. I don't think there's any benefit changing plugs on stock turbos. I've tried NGK95770, Bosch ZR5TPP33 and most recently gone back to stock plugs and out of all of them I get less corrections with the stock ones. Saves you the hassle of gapping too.
Currently I have one car with the ZR5TPP33 and one with stock plugs both running the same tune and there's nothing in it. If anything the car with stock plugs idles smoother.

BertoleAmur

Mar 2, 2023
I see it's been a while, but I wanted to chime in. Congratulations on the new car; the e93 335i DCT is an excellent upgrade from the e46 320ci. You're taking good care of it with the upcoming oil+filter and spark plug change. As for the logs, I'm not an expert in reading them, but hopefully, someone in the community can help you. It's great that you plan on keeping it in stock for now and gradually upgrading to FBO with 99oct fuel. If you ever need to ship your car, I suggest contacting this company (https://www.a1autotransport.com/cost-distance-estimate/). Good luck!

Last edited:

Benjiman

Lurker
May 2, 2021
Thanks for the comments, it's going well I love driving it.

Have done lots of preventative maintenance.