Need help finding a intake duct block off

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Been searching the entire internet for a block off plate that covers where the factory ducting goes, stett use to make one a long time ago and i cant find one anywhere!!!! Someone send me a lead!!!
Screenshot_20210317-203253.png

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Luckily i know someone with a water jet table, i may just try to cut my own out of stock and try to make something pretty. Was hoping i could find something online and just buy it

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
How soon do you need it? I can draw it up and have some cut.
Not in any rush at all, but yeah if its something that would look nice id be definitely be interested in buying one from you!

Dumb question, but why don't you want to run the ducts to deliver cold air? Is it to force more air through radiator/intercooler?
My car is single turbo so my intake isnt even on that side of the engine bay, and having those big holes covered up top definitely helps force more air thru the radiator, which these cars need all the help they can get with their thin radiators

• Informative
Reactions: derekgates

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I could’ve sworn I have seen someone on here that made a snorkel pointing to the opposite side of the engine bay, but I can’t find the picture.

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
I could’ve sworn I have seen someone on here that made a snorkel pointing to the opposite side of the engine bay, but I can’t find the picture.
Most of the snorkel setups ive seen look terrible, theres the 335d duct that goes to that side but with how it's positioned and being that my intake isnt boxed in i highly doubt going that route will make any difference at all. Only way using that ducting would be beneficial is if i go and fully box in the intake filter and route the ducting all the way into a sealed area. And definitely not going thru all that custom work for a car thats only meant for highway pulls here and there lol

Reactions: houtan

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
I agree! If they would sell the part separate I can guarantee they would sell a lot of the air dams and heat isolators.
Possibly, but if someone has the money and the desire to buy that shroud theyre probably gonna get the the entire kit to begin with, its nice, but it still doesnt help us single turbo guys out unfortunately

Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Great points in here. I'd be down for a set of block off plates as well... just to have in inventory.

If there is a kit that is made from this thread or found available, I'd like to know! :)

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
@Mikejones1208 @derekgates I went ahead and had 3 sets made for test fitment, they should arrive by the end of the week. It will be a two piece setup as I wanted to avoid a single larger cover to keep shipping, packaging and manufacturing costs down since a single plate can be flipped to fit the opposite side. Made in the USA from 2mm 6061 Aluminum with an expected sale price of $45 for a set + shipping. Started by 3D Scanning the stock plastic "snorkel?" to get accurate dimensions quickly and to verify design fitment. While one push lock would probably be sufficient I opted to add an ear that can go under two of the bolts that attach the bumper shown below in red. I'll let you know when they are in and send some photos of them mocked up on my car. Let me know if there's anything else you guys can think of. I'm more than happy to make an idea come to life if it makes sense.

1616382558896.png

Simplified 3D Scan

3DScan.PNG

Reference geometry then used for plate design inside of Solidworks.

Solidworks.PNG

Solidworks2.PNG