E9X N55E Speedtech 6266 Build

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
Haven't seen too many people post about the Speedtech bottom mount kit for the N55E so I wanted to share my experience. Going into this build I had a goal of 600whp on e85. After tons of back and forth with Chris at Motiv, we settled on getting a Precision Gen 2 6266 to meet my goals.

Here's the full build:
2013 135i N55 DCT
Reflex+ with a 3 Port Mac for boost control, Ethanol, and LPF sensors
PR Stage 3 Bucketed LPFP
Dorch Engineering Stage 1 HPFP
BMP Port Injection with 750cc injectors
Eldor Coils
3.5 Bar Boost Sensor (N20)
VRSF 5" FMIC
BMS CP with no BOV
xHP Stage 3

After getting a base tune, I got some runs in with the EBC disconnected. First few runs were on NGK 97506 gapped down to .020", and I kept on running into a misfire on cylinder 4 at ~3500 rpm. When the misfire happens it cuts of the fuel injection for that cylinder until I restart the car. Here's a log of when it happened. I tried pulling the plug and checking the gap again, and swapping the coils around but it seemed to stay on cyl4. I had a set of Bosh ZR5TPP33S spark plugs laying around, so I gapped them to .018" and threw them on the car. That seemed to solve my misfire, and I was able to get some good clean runs in on spring pressure. Here's a 4th gear log1 and log2.

After getting another tune revision, we decided it was time to plug the EBC in. First time out I get a cyl4 misfire again, here's the log of when it happened. At this point I'm leaning towards it being an injector. The car has ~60k miles which seems a little early for one to go bad, but I'm not sure what else could possibly be causing it since I ruled out the coils and spark plugs. Here's the codes from MHD:

image.png

Pictures from the build:
IMG-2537.JPG

IMG-2462.jpg

IMG-2463.JPG

IMG-2560.jpg

Overall, I'm really happy with the quality of the turbo kit, everything fit really well in the engine bay. I wanted to post a thread up incase someone wants to go the same route, and to see if anyone else had similar issues before. I'll try to post an update here once I get the misfire resolved. Huge shout out to Jeff at Speedtech and Chris at Motivmotorsport, both helped me a ton getting the build planed out for all of the supporting mods that I need and helping troubleshoot issues.

Last edited:

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
Replaced cyl 3 and cyl 4 injectors with brand new eu5 ones from FCP and coded them. Went for a dive and still get the exact same misfire. Not sure what to check next at this point since the plugs, coils, and injectors are new.
8343619B-AF0C-445A-AE23-3A3961913C37.jpeg

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
You replaced 3 & 4 with eu5 injectors? Are your other injectors eu5, and have you been tuned for them? I believe the stock injectors are eu6. Eu5 will fit, and are higher flowing, but from what I've read you have to code the eu5's (which you've done) AND tune for them to get them running right.

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Here's a thread on eu5 injectors from f80 post

And a screenshot from Dorch who are now selling these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127-061713_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127-061713_Chrome.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 29

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Interesting, did the previous owner say anything about mods, or state of tune? I wonder if all 6 are eu5's and or/if he had a tune for them on the car? Does your tuner know that you have (atleast 2) eu5's? You obviously wouldn't want to mix eu5's and eu6's.

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
The car came from the factory with EU5 injectors. That's what realoem shows when I look up my vin, and that's what ista/d showed when I did injector identification. All 6 injectors are the same.

I think you may be referring to the S63 EU5 injectors which flow more. The part number for the S63 EU5 injectors is 13647599876 and the part number for the n55 EU5 is 13647597870. From what I understand the S63 ones flow more. I think EU6 injectors were mostly on F series cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Boorda and Torgus

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
The car came from the factory with EU5 injectors. That's what realoem shows when I look up my vin, and that's what ista/d showed when I did injector identification. All 6 injectors are the same. I bought the car when it had ~40k miles and it was completely stock.

I think you may be referring to the S63 EU5 injectors which flow more. The part number for the S63 EU5 injectors is 13647599876 and the part number for the n55 EU5 is 13647597870. From what I understand the S63 ones flow more. I think EU6 injectors were mostly on F series cars.
Well, thanks for setting me straight on this! I thought all n55's were eu6 stock, but I checked realoem for my car and I have the 13647597870 eu5 injectors as well. I didn't realize the s63 eu5's were a different p/n under the eu5 umbrella.

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
No problem, glad I could share some info. I was initially planning to go the s63 injector route with Dorch S2 HPFP and their 38% lift kit upgrade. I decided to go the port injection route because I would have to get a Reflex+ anyway for the EBC, ethanol content, and LPF monitoring.

Reactions: wheela

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
Yep, running mafless.

After moving plugs/coils around a few times I put the NGK 97506 back in. I got cyl2 to misfire along with cyl4. So I decided to give a fresh set of plugs a try. Chris recommended the NGK SILZKBR8F8S plugs, so I bought a set, and gapped them down to 0.018". Went for a drive and got misfires on more cylinders. This time it was cyl 2, 3, 4, and 6. The car also threw a code for low oil pressure.
IMG_2668.jpg

Looking at the logs I don't see why I got the low oil pressure code. Looks like the car actually had really high oil pressure ~105 psi.
Here's that log: https://datazap.me/u/sk8/cyl2-3-4-6-misfire?log=0&data=4-16-20
Here's a log after I checked to make sure all of the engine internals were still on the inside and restarted the car to drive it home, seems like the oil pressure went back to normal: https://datazap.me/u/sk8/drive-home-after-oil-pressure-codemissfire?log=0&data=4-20

Starting to consider parting out the turbo kit, hpfp, etc... and going back to stock. Will be doing a compression test next, and figuring out what's up with the oil pressure.

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
Pulled the plugs again and did a compression test, seemed pretty even across all cylinders.
cyl 1: 170psi
cyl 2: 165psi
cyl 3: 163psi
cyl 4: 165psi
cyl 5: 165psi
cyl 6: 165psi

Plugs looked brand new too, they don't seem fouled or anything. All of them looked like this one after going for a drive and getting misfires.
plugs.jpeg

Out of ideas at this point. I widened the gap to 0.026" and ordered the NXM B58 coil kit and new Eldor coils from FCP euro. If this doesn't fix the problems, I'm giving up and going back to stock.

Reactions: BS13

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
are you on the stock DCT flywheel?

It's weird how the misfire, when it regsiters in the tq1 2 or 3 channel, happens much after the misfire event. Usually you would see the 65536 value at the time stamp right when it happens.

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
I'm on the stock DCT flywheel. Seems like most people have issues with misfires at higher RPM when the flywheel is the issue. Mine almost always happen ~3.5k rpm in 4th. I'll get a video up of what it sounds like. I can actually feel the car breaking up before the engine goes into limp mode.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Yeah that’s true, was just curious.

Are you the original owner of the car?

Was it running fine before the turbo upgrade?

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
I bought the car fully stock. Did the usual boltons and MHD stage 2+ for the last two years. Car is now at 65k miles. No issues with stock turbos and stage 2 tune, but it was on pump gas and not e85.

Last edited:

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
You’re on full e85? Have you tried running pump gas with the new turbo?

How are you running your lpfps? Are they always on?

sk8

Private
Aug 31, 2022
Local e85 gas station shows e65 on my ethanol sensor. Haven't tried running regular pump gas, but willing to give that a try if the b58 coils don't fix my issues.

For the LPFP I have the second pump on a hobbs switch. Since spring pressure is only ~13psi I tried unplugging it to see if that was causing issues, but it didn't make a difference. I have a low pressure fuel sensor wired to the reflex and the pressure looks fine.

Reactions: houtan

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Dual fuel pump set ups is not my area of expertise, but does the second pump get powered by the EKP? Or is that the one that uses a solid state relay?

Based on all of my wonderful eseries N55 experiences over the years, my guess is the B 58 coil packs won’t resolve anything, but I hope they do!

If I were in your shoes, the first thing I would do is burn off the tank of e85 and see if the same issue persists with pump gas. It’s cheap and very little labor just to verify fuel is not an issue.

Updating this part after I spoke with my friend:

A few years ago I did see similar behavior in my friends pure stage two car. On Dyno day of all days, we did a few test hits and his car would go into limp mode with misfire codes just as boost was coming on. Cruising around, It drove fine though. It was still under warranty so he took it to the dealership and they figured it out. There was a small break in the head gasket, but that was not the main culprit. Cylinder 6 injector was bad. It was basically stuck in the head and took more than normal force to get out. But once it was out and replaced, cad ran great again. The key note is, he wasn’t getting cylinder six misfires only, it was on other cylinders as well. Turned out the only bad injector was number six, which was diagnosed using the dealership sw. I wonder if ista can be used to determine if the other injectors are working properly.

I’m not saying that’s your issue but just sharing what I’ve seen. I’m going to ask him if he has any knowledge on how the dealership diagnosed the issue and will let you know if I hear anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheela